“Slightly disappointing” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Portofino
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Slightly disappointing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

I recently stayed for 12 nights at the Splendido for the eighth consecutive year. I will start by saying that the reasons for returning are still present; it is a amazing location, the food is fantastic and the serving staff are great.

However, this year some things were poor. After returning to the hotel at 3am we attempted to order room service from the night menu but were told it was not available and were only allowed to order whatever the chef had left in the kitchen and was able to be warmed up as there is no one present in the kitchen during the night. The night manager has to heat up the food!! For a hotel with a reputation like the Splendido I was amazed and appalled that this occurred. They should be embarrassed.

The sun-lounger area next to the pool has become much more cramped, particularly on the lowest level directly adjacent to the pool. Sometimes it was almost impossible to walk from one side to the other without having to step over someone which is not particularly pleasant and certainly not relaxing. The drink service at the pool was almost non existent taking over 25 minutes to get a bottle of water...

The tennis is still excellent - if you get the chance play with the pro Flavio! He is great for any ability and a really nice guy. However, why towels and bottled water are not provided by the hotel is beyond me. You have to pay €33 per hour for the court but they cannot provide the basic amenities that are complementary in the gym?...

The serving staff are still the hotels greatest asset. With the service in both restaurants and the bar being great - pretty much every waiter is excellent so it would not be right to only name a few. The food is still fantastic - you have to try the pizza at lunch.

While we stayed the hotel hosted a Sicilian evening borrowing kitchen staff from their sister hotel in Sicily. The singers and entertainers who appeared throughout the night were brilliant. The food was not. If you book the Splendido you want Ligurian night, not Sicilian night. To me it just seemed like a company party in which the management of the two different hotels got to meet up and have a good time.

Finally, I left before the rest of my family who came to see us off at around 8am. No one was present at the front desk to say bye or ask us how our stay was and yet when we were about to get into our car a receptionist literally ran at us to make sure that some people were staying to settle the remaining bill. After staying for the last eight years for around 14 days per visit it was insulting that they did not want to enquire about our stay but were terrified that we would not pay a bill, after being such a loyal customer. Really??

I would still recommend it as a place to stay but it was definitely not as good of an experience as the previous visits which is disappointing.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank 22ed22
DeMegni, General Manager at Belmond Hotel Splendido, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and other readers. We appreciate your comments and sincerely regret of the disappointments experienced during your recent visit.

I have therefore taken very seriously every point of your complaint and it is certainly thanks to the comments and suggestions of our Guests, no matter whether positive or negative, that we can improve our service and facilities.

Concerning the Pool service I sincerely apologise. If we knew the inconvenience once you were here at the Hotel we could do something to avoid any further problem.

Regarding the Tennis Court service, since It’s not your first time that you come in our Hotel….
we have always the water container to the Tennis Court’s entrance and guests can easily take the water by themselves. Of course our Tennis Pro Flavio is more than happy to provide towels for our guests upon request.

About the Room Service, we do provide the service with a Light Menu à la Carte for all guests that would like to have snacks & food during the night.
As you have mentioned, on the 5th August we have celebrated the food event “Sicilian dinner”, where we hosted our sister Property in Taormina, Belmond Villa Sant’Andrea. This is a great event that we promote every summer in order to give our guests the chance to taste a different cuisine, from another Luxury Hotel of our Company. Listening our guests and repeaters clients’ feedbacks, they like to have a diversity of food and they really appreciate something new and different. I’m sorry to read that you were not satisfied.

Concerning your early departure, after an investigation with our Front Desk staff, you did not pass by the Desk but you went directly out to your Car Transfer. The Receptionist came out to you just asking your room key back and she double checked about your bill - if you wanted to settle the account on your father’s bill. She greeted you and and she whished you a safe trip back home and a welcome back to the Splendido as you are a repeater client.

In any case I have to thank you since it's through the comments of our Guests, even though negative, that we have the opportunity to ameliorate our service.
I look forward to welcome you again at the Splendido in the nearly future.

With my very best regards,

Belmond Hotel Splendido & Splendido Mare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

We stayed at Splendido for 2 nights. We needed 2 rooms at a cost of EUR 1,000 per night. But it is not the money that bothers me. If you don’t have the money, then don’t stay at this hotel. What really bothered me is that even though you spend a lot of money to stay at this hotel, you simply do not get the quality of service and experience that other hotels offer.
Even though the rooms were tiny and in need of a facelift, you can almost forgive the hotel given the beautiful setting and the understanding that it would be difficult to build decent sized rooms in this location.
The real issues I had with the hotel is the poor level of service and quality of the food. The hotel has a captive audience. Rich people are always going to come to the Splendido to say they have stayed at the hotel and in Portofino. This leads to complacency. Examples 1) the service was indifferent. No better place to highlight this than in the pool. Each guest is allocated 1 sunbed and towel. If you are unfortunate enough not to have a sunbed right next to the pool (some are split on different levels), you need to run back to your sunbed to get dry (unless you had the foresight to bring the towel to the pool). I don’t want to tell you how to run your hotel. BUT for EUR 1,000 a night, how about supplying extra towels by the pool? 2) My daughter is six. She swallowed some of the water from the pool. The pool has sea water (not chlorine – which is a nice touch). My daughter was choking and asked for some water to drink. I asked for some water from the pool attendant who was startled by the question. The response was “do I want still or sparkling” with the implication that I needed to buy the water… I am okay to pay for water if I am calmly lying on the sunbed, but when my 6 year old daughter is choking this seems somewhat odd, 3) but the best example of indifference was the fact that my feet turned blue after swimming in the pool. When I asked why this is the case, a staff member told me that he was not sure, they were looking into this and had sent samples of the water for testing. When I asked if the pool was safe, I got an “unconvincing” response that yes it was safe. But how can it be safe if you don’t know what is causing my feet to turn blue. How the hotel let guest swim in a pool that clearly was having issues, is beyond me.
The food is ok, but not great for Italian standards. You know you are in trouble when the waiter brings over spaghetti with tomato sauce for the kids and says its “fantastic”. When you need to embellish the quality of the kid’s food, you know you are in trouble.
Let me be as bold to say that the real problem with the hotel is management. They are too comfortable with the knowledge that each year they will get their quota of rich fools that want to say they have stayed at the Splendido. What they really should do is look themselves in the mirror and ask themselves if they are providing the best quality of service possible. I think deep down they will agree with me that they are not. If you want to go to a hotel that has got it right, then look no further than Il San Pietro di Positano. Same concept, but better execution

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank JonnyViews
DeMegni, General Manager at Belmond Hotel Splendido, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and other readers. We appreciate your comments and sincerely regret of the disappointments experienced during your visit.

Concerning the service by the Pool: all guests have sun beds and sun umbrellas, with towels for the pool bath. Guests can choose the best position, both by the pool or up to the terraces. Of course in high season we have many guests that stay here for weeks, even for one month or more, and sometimes they choose their seats in the very early morning before other guests. If guests ask for extra towels, we absolutely can provide it by the Pool Staff desk. We have 4 Pool attendants plus a Pool Concierge on duty every day.
I’m sorry to read that your daughter swallowed some of the water by the pool. Probably the pool waiter did not realize that scene, that’s way he asked you about the choice of water in a very polite way. I guarantee that we test the pool water 4 times a day and we send the tests to the local authority in order to optimize the service and for sanitary conditions. If guests accidentally drink that water, it’s not dangerous for the health.
About the blue colour on your feet, probably due to the warm temperature of the water and the salt, all these factors may have caused a point where the blue paint has come off from the pool floor.

We sincerely apologise ones again for the inconvenience that this may have caused to you and you may rest assured that we are actively working to improve our service levels and your feedback has proved to be invaluable.

We hope to have the possibility to welcome you again in the very near future and are delighted to remain at your full personal disposal for any further information or assistance you may require.

Meanwhile I remain,

With my very best regards,

Hotel Splendido & Splendido Mare
Southern California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here three nites thru Amex Fine Hotel.This the smallest $1000/nite rm I have ever stayed at.Literally,10'x10' and we could not move without bumping into furniture or each other.It's smaller than a cruise ship room. This is nothing like the Splendido Mare up the hill at all.I have stayed atany over 1k/nt places over the years like The Savoy in London,Fouseasons Tokyo,Kong and Bali,Aman resorts etc. and enjoyed all . This hotel is the biggest rip off hands down.....I don't mind paying a lot but not when the room is a size of a closet!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and other readers. We appreciate your comments and sincerely regret of the disappointments experienced during your visit at Splendido Mare.

Attention to detail and personalised service are the foundations on which we have built, throughout the years, the success of the Splendido and, more generally speaking, of all our hotels world-wide.

Concerning you accommodation, our Splendido Mare' rooms are all different in terms of size, décor and typology: this is the main peculiarity of the House. It maintains its old luxury tradition.
Since we totally respect our Clients' preferences and requests we immediately move Guests, if at all possible, to a different accommodation if they do not like their room. I would like to inform you that our Front Desk Team at Splendido Mare did the best to provide you an upgrade, but due to High season in August the Hotel was completely fully booked and we could not upgrade you. I also inform you that I personally took care of your request, and I’ve immediately informed your Travel Agency about your inconvenience.

We hope to have the possibility to welcome you again in the very near future for a stay in Portofino.

Best regards,

Hotel Splendido & Splendido Mare
Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the SplenMare and paid 1,650 Euro for 1 night incl. breakfast. The room was nice but did not justify the term 'suite'. No other complaints here. The very steep price was known to us before we decided to stay. When I compare this with other top properties on the globe, e.g. Post Ranch Inn, just to name one, the value for money is dwindling.
Nevertheless, the restaurant is very good and the service top notch. I prefer it to the restaurant in the hillside Splend. There, the views are probably nicer but the meals and service a tiny notch ( repeat: tiny) less great. In conclusion: it's simply splendid.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Fuzzyguy
Papenburg, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Dinner was very good and service was great as well, in the beginning, but, towards the end of the meal, the quality, decreased, spoiling what was the initial expected greatness, considering the high price payed.... I would not think it would end up this way, but, overall was good.
We stayed over for a drink and a dance with a really good entertainment performed by the piano player. Really good evening.
The only think to improve, as already mentioned, is the service at the dinner table. It gets spoiled when busy even though many waiters where present.
Not well managed.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ForeverTraveller67
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

The Splendido is not the cheapest hotel in Italy but it is worth it. We stayed for six nights and enjoyed every minute of our stay.
The staff are professional and friendly (it is rare to get both characteristics at once). The food in the Terrace restaurant was excellent and although they were busy the staff always found us a nice table on the edge of the Terrace. The entertainment in the evening was exceptional, great fun with Vladimir and Antonio getting the guests totally involved.
Our room had wonderful views over the bay and a nice terrace. The bathroom amenities were excellent. The room was not large but then one does not come to the Splendido to spend a lot of time in the room. Our one criticism of the room was an almost total absence of hanging and drawer space. This really does need to be addressed particularily for guests who are staying more than two nights.
On the whole when one stays at the Splendido you are paying for the total package, excellent food, great staff, wonderful views and a lot of fun. You get all of this at the Splendido and we are loking forward to our next stay.

Room Tip: Always book a room with a terrace and a good view it is worth it. if you are stayim\ng longer than t...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Cleanliness
1 Thank MartinSoutter
DeMegni, General Manager at Belmond Hotel Splendido, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Mr. Martin Soutter,

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel for your stay in the heart of Portofino and for sharing your great experience with all Trip Advisor´s readers.

It is a true pleasure to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that our team has created memorable experiences that you have taken back home. As I always say, there is only one way to have a happy guest and that is having a happy team!.

Therefore, the entire team is looking forward to welcoming you back soon to out legendary Hotel for more amazing experiences!

Warm Regards,

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

The last time we stayed in this hotel was 2002 and we had an amazing time so we were anxious to find out if it was still great. We were not disappointed! Upon our arrival we were greeted very warmly and the staff was very attentive throughout our stay. Here are some highlights:

Food - We ate breakfast, lunch and dinner at the hotel so we were well versed in the offerings. One of our party has severe food allergies and they were very attentive to her. They would make custom offerings specific to her needs and were very accommodating. Needless to say, she was very comfortable eating there. Breakfast was inclusive and included eggs any style and a variety of meats, cheeses, yogurts, cakes, pastries, etc... Best of all was the cappuccino and coffee. Lunch for us was normally poolside and the homemade pizza was amazing. Fish and other pasta/meat options were available, but I personally would recommend the pizza. We normally had dinner around 9pm and that seemed to be a rather prime time to eat. We never had a problem getting seated, but it being prime season (mid-August), the staff was really hustling to accommodate everyone. Dinner was included in the package (half board) and we didn't realize until our bill came and it was all zeros except the liquor. I believe that is the case for most everyone, so it pays to go to dinner at the hotel. The waitstaff worked hard and were very friendly (I forgot many of their names, but a guy from Taormina was one of our favorites). Most of the choices were quite good, sea bass was amazing. I would recommend making a reservation especially during prime time.

Pool and Town - Almost any lounge chair will have an amazing view, so I would recommend not worrying about saving a seat since they seemed to be able to accommodate people at all times. If you just can't help it and need to have a specific seat, I would recommend you get up early. The pool opens at 9:30am, but the pool staff get there I believe at 8am (although I personally never got up that early) and people start to reserve seats for themselves from then on. The pool staff was very attentive and when one of us left our Kindle behind by accident, Danielle put it safely away and gave it to us the next time they saw us. Mima, Andrea and Danielle were all excellent and made our time there enjoyable. If you would like to walk to the Portofino town (think gelato, restaurants, high end shopping, etc.) it is a quick 8 to 10 minute walk from the hotel via a path (no, you don't have to walk on the street). Coming back we were a bit winded, but really not a challenging walk.

Rooms - We reserved two rooms and both were exceptional. The better one we loved was on the 5th floor (which is a fairly new floor - it use to house the staff until it was opened up to the quests). It was a spacious suite, with amazing view and balcony and spacious and large bathroom (loved the rain shower head). The A/C worked quite well and the beds were very comfortable. I don't think you could go wrong with anything on the 5th floor (however it may require a splurge).
Karoke and Piano Man - At night they have a piano man who also gets the crowd going by having them do Karoke as well. It was a lot of fun and very hilarious at times. I would recommend sitting in to enjoy one night.

Overall, an amazing time and we hope to get back a lot sooner than later.

Room Tip: Room 494 or anything on the 5th floor facing the sea.
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
Dear Guest,

I sincerely thank you, on behalf of our Hotel and "Splendido team", for the lovely comments you've shared.

We are delighted to know that your stay at our hotel exceeded your expectations.

We value all comments and they encourage us to keep working every day to better our service and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Best Regards,

Belmond Hotel Splendido & Splendido Mare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portofino
Hotel Piccolo Portofino
#4 of 5 in Portofino
Hotel Eden
Hotel Eden
#5 of 5 in Portofino

Been to Belmond Hotel Splendido? Share your experiences!