I recently stayed for 12 nights at the Splendido for the eighth consecutive year. I will start by saying that the reasons for returning are still present; it is a amazing location, the food is fantastic and the serving staff are great.
However, this year some things were poor. After returning to the hotel at 3am we attempted to order room service from the night menu but were told it was not available and were only allowed to order whatever the chef had left in the kitchen and was able to be warmed up as there is no one present in the kitchen during the night. The night manager has to heat up the food!! For a hotel with a reputation like the Splendido I was amazed and appalled that this occurred. They should be embarrassed.
The sun-lounger area next to the pool has become much more cramped, particularly on the lowest level directly adjacent to the pool. Sometimes it was almost impossible to walk from one side to the other without having to step over someone which is not particularly pleasant and certainly not relaxing. The drink service at the pool was almost non existent taking over 25 minutes to get a bottle of water...
The tennis is still excellent - if you get the chance play with the pro Flavio! He is great for any ability and a really nice guy. However, why towels and bottled water are not provided by the hotel is beyond me. You have to pay €33 per hour for the court but they cannot provide the basic amenities that are complementary in the gym?...
The serving staff are still the hotels greatest asset. With the service in both restaurants and the bar being great - pretty much every waiter is excellent so it would not be right to only name a few. The food is still fantastic - you have to try the pizza at lunch.
While we stayed the hotel hosted a Sicilian evening borrowing kitchen staff from their sister hotel in Sicily. The singers and entertainers who appeared throughout the night were brilliant. The food was not. If you book the Splendido you want Ligurian night, not Sicilian night. To me it just seemed like a company party in which the management of the two different hotels got to meet up and have a good time.
Finally, I left before the rest of my family who came to see us off at around 8am. No one was present at the front desk to say bye or ask us how our stay was and yet when we were about to get into our car a receptionist literally ran at us to make sure that some people were staying to settle the remaining bill. After staying for the last eight years for around 14 days per visit it was insulting that they did not want to enquire about our stay but were terrified that we would not pay a bill, after being such a loyal customer. Really??
I would still recommend it as a place to stay but it was definitely not as good of an experience as the previous visits which is disappointing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perched on a hillside over Portofino, Belmond Hotel Splendido is surrounded by fragrant pine trees and peaceful olive groves. Belmond Splendido Mare is a little bit closer to the action, being right on the world-famous Piazzetta. A continuous complementary shuttle service is offered between Belmond Hotel Splendido and Belmond Splendido Mare. Belmond Hotel Splendido - Set in four acres of romantic tropical gardens with superb palm trees, Belmond Hotel Splendido overlooks the bay of Portofino. It boasts 67 guest rooms including 1 single room, 23 double rooms, 31 junior suites and 12 suites. Most rooms have balcony or terrace offering views of the Bay of Portofino. Guests can relax by the heated salt-water pool or at the wellness centre, enjoy a game of tennis at the tennis court or explore the gulf with a private boat, while children have fun at the dedicated Kids’ Club. La Terrazza Restaurant serves delicious Ligurian specialties with a view over the Gulf of Portofino, while the Pool Restaurant is perfect for an informal buffet-style lunch, snacks or a pizza. The Cocktail & Piano Bar offers aperitifs, after-dinner cocktails and live piano music every evening. Belmond Splendido Mare - Belmond Splendido Mare has 16 rooms including 10 double rooms, 4 junior suites and 2 suites, all elegantly decorated and furnished. Most have balconies with superb views of the harbour and the village. Dining at the Chuflay Restaurant, bordering the Piazzetta, is a true Dolce Vita experience. Belmond Splendido Mare shares all the facilities with Belmond Hotel Splendido. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TravelUp, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Belmond Hotel Splendido reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Splendido Hotel Portofino
- Splendido Resort Portofino
- Hotel Splendido Portofino