“Stay away from this place! It's terrible... And a ripoff”
Review of La Gritta

La Gritta
Reserve with
Save up to 20% when you reserve online *
La Gritta is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 33 Restaurants in Portofino
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Sydney, Australia
“Stay away from this place! It's terrible... And a ripoff”
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

I wish I had read the reviews on Tripadvisor before we went to this restaurant. It is very easy to be charmed by its lovely setting, with the nice view and the floating extension to the restaurant. But BEWARE! That's the only good part about this restaurant.

The food is mediocre and lacks any kind of creative culinary input . . Staff are ambivalent at best, but mostly surly and unwelcoming. Prices are extortionary and only idiots would knowingly go to a place like this which charges 25 euros ($34) for a Campari & soda and similar outrageous prices for water and soft drinks ($11).

I notice that neither the manager or owner has ever commented or tried to refute any of the negative reviews, which indicates a high degree of arrogance and a low level of regard for what the customer thinks.

My recommendation is to avoid this place at all costs!

Visited June 2014
2 Thank matie000

• Turkish first
Bucharest, Romania
“Nice place to spend some time”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

La Gritta Resaturant is a lovely place to spend a couple of hours.
Situated in the little harbor of the elegant Portofino, it also has a nice floating deck where you can enjoy a lovely view.
Food and drinks are very good, Tiramisu is delicious . The only "inconvenient" are the prices and the fact that there is not too much variety in the menu. And the portions are quite small.
For example I had Black pasta with shrimps and clams for 20 euro, one aperol spritz for 12 euro (make sure you ask for the drinks menu, because Aperol is considered a cocktail , whereas in any other place is at the same price as a glass of wine) and a tiramiso for 10 euro. There is also coperto(tip included) of 4 euro/person.
But if you want to feel glamorous for a little while, this is the place to go!

• Visited June 2014
Nyon, Switzerland
“Nice! But so pricey...”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We really enjoyed our lunch in Portofino at La Gritta. The service was excellent, the girl that served us was so dynamic and spoke French, which was nice. The location is great! in the sun, in front of the sea... what else would you ask? :) Great location and great place.

But the prices are ridiculous! The menus at 30-35 are fine, although they could be cheaper, but ok, you are in Portofino and you are in front of the sea, so I am happy to pay that for the food. However, a bottle of water for 8EUR, a small beer for 9 EUR and a coca-light for 8 EUR is way over the top

But in any case, we really enjoyed the lunch and the restaurant so we do recommend!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Ilovetotravel155
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Wallet beware”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

The location is as good as it gets in Portofino, smack in the middle by the water. However, be warned €4 per person as a cover charge (sliced stale bread), linen napkin and a cushion on your chair. The menu is creative and the offering perfect, €8 for a bottle of water and €8 per glass of house wine, so as you can see the picture is building. Now in fairness, the staff were friendly, the food was amazing and considering we just shared two antipasti plates we left €70 lighter and then add the €5.50 per hour parking in the local parking house.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank William A
Jersey, United Kingdom
“Irresistible and great fun”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I first went to La Gritta about sixteen years ago when I was 27 with my best friend and I couldn't believe it when I went back with my (then fiancé) three years ago and it was still there - I should not have been surprised as this place has been there since the 50's when Portofino was the preferred choice of the glamorous Hollywood filmstars of the day - the walls are decked with photographs of these times and it really is a piece of history.
I am reviewing this only as a bar as we really only ever had lunchtime drinks here or a pre dinner aperitif - we have had a snack on a couple of occasions but it was immemorable and I am not sure I really feel its main purpose is as a restaurant. As a place to sit and relax for a couple of hours with a glass of prosecco it's perfect and such great fun - the floating part if the bar is lovely and I absolutely defy anyone to walk past and not want to jump across! We have some great memories here and it really is a 'must go' in Portofino for me - I hope it's there for many years to come.

• Visited June 2013