“Great location but terrible food”
Review of Pechino

Pechino
Ranked #64 of 197 Restaurants in Rapallo
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Los Angeles
“Great location but terrible food”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I have never relied on Tripadvisor so much up until this trip back to Italy. I had read other reviews on this Chinese restaurant but didn't take heed. I just had dinner with my husband at Pechino and ran back to the hotel to write this review before I try to brush the awful taste from my mouth. The restaurant is on the promenade at a prime location. We got there early for dinner and the place was next to empty. When we asked for a table inside to avoid the cigarette smoke outside, we were told each time we pointed to a table that it was reserved. We were led outside to a sea of more empty tables that they also said were reserved. They ended up giving us a table right at the entry on the sidewalk. We think that they wanted to give passerby tourists the appearance that they were busy.
We ordered steamed dumplings, onion cake, noodles with meat, curry with chicken and spicy prawns. What arrived was the worst tasting food that is definitely not cooked by anyone chinese nor by someone who has tasted chinese food. As a Chinese woman who has tasted all types of Chinese cuisine, these dishes were absolutely the worst attempts at chinese food. The dumplings as advertised were supposed to be a basket of eight on a steam tray. What we got were four cabbage filled sacks straight from the microwave. They were tasteless other than the soy sauce we drizzled over them. The onion cakes were deep fried instead of pan fried and had flavor only because the leeks are pungent. The noodles and curry chicken were painfully salty and tasteless. No flavoring of sweet or spicy or pungent or savory. Just salty. The prawns as pictured in the menu looked robust and abundant. What we received were four soggy shrimps fillet to look larger like proper prawns. I could tell from the limp shells that the shrimps were not fresh. The red sauce they covered the dish with had zero taste other than salty. Unfortunately because we were starving and the weather was about to turn bad and we were running out of time to eat, we suffered this meal. I spoke to the waitress after the check arrived to let her know that it was the worst Chinese food I have ever tasted. I spoke in Mandarin so that she understood but alas she didn't care. She just took my euros and headed inside the restaurant. Fellow travelers, be forewarned. This is a Chinese restaurant to be avoided at all costs, even if all that bad tasting food only cost us 24 Euros.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Ready2Depart

London, United Kingdom
“Average fare”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Look, if you're in Italy, doesn't it make sense to try the local cooking? Rapallo is in the middle of Liguria, where there's a particular cuisine based on the local produce, including excellent fish, lovely light wines and excellent olive oils.

But I had to try Pechino, since I pass it regularly and it always seems to be crowded.

The staff is courteous, helpful and attentive- even if they struggle a bit with the language. The food is plentiful and tasty- but not like any Chinese I've had in places like San Francisco, New York or London. It's good, but it's Chinese-ish, with a tendency toward local tastes I suppose.

Despite my opening paragraph, if you want something different and inexpensive, you'll find it at Pechino.

Visited May 2013
“Nice looking restaurant with an average food.”
Reviewed 4 April 2013 via mobile

They serve a Chinese food but it is far from China and not just by distance. .
Too bad because the restaurant itself is really nice in a very good location.
I think if they will try harder it could be realy nice.

• Visited March 2013
New Hampshire
“Not a bad option”
Reviewed 27 October 2012

After 10 days of eating Italian the littlle Chinese restaurant on the strip looked inviting.

Each time we walked by there was always a croud so we decided to give it a try. The food we ordered was hot, fresh & delicious. We had a wonderful dinner with appetizers, rice, noodles & a main meals for 30ish euro.

The young man that was working the night we visited had a poor attitude.

You can't go wrong for a tasty inexpensive meal.

• Visited October 2012
Canberra
“Stick to Italian fare in Rapallo”
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Stopped in for a quick lunch in what we thought would be a similar Chinese dining experience to that in Australia. Boy were we wrong. The only things that were up to scratch were the Chinese beer (600ml) which we needed on a warm day and the prawn dumplings. The other dishes lacked any semblance of Chinese cuisine as we know it and were generally bland. At least the price was reasonable for the meal but I could not recommend. When in Rapallo stick to the Italian cuisine, especially those restaurants which specialise in seafood dishes.

• Visited October 2012