Best Western Regina Elena
Hotel Santa Margherita Palace(Santa Margherita Ligure)
US$341
US$302
  • Breakfast included
Lido Palace Hotel(Santa Margherita Ligure)
US$182
US$176
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Continental(Santa Margherita Ligure)
US$304
US$295
Official Site
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Laurin(Santa Margherita Ligure)
US$272
US$259
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
Grand Hotel Miramare(Santa Margherita Ligure)
US$610
US$541
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Imperiale Palace Hotel(Santa Margherita Ligure)
US$411
US$399
Metropole(Santa Margherita Ligure)
US$297
US$288
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Jolanda(Santa Margherita Ligure)(Great Value!)
US$129
US$125
US$818
US$794
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Blu di Te(Santa Margherita Ligure)
US$345
US$334
Orbitz.com
All reviewsrooftop poolprivate beachunderground tunnellarge tour groupsinsight tourgreat hotelexcellent roombeach barreception staffsea viewmediterranean seatop floorother hotelsreasonable sizebreakfast roommain buildingbeautiful area
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This review is geared toward families with more than 2 children. 1st of all, if you have 3 small children be prepared to pay & stay in 2 separate rooms. In July, this will run you more than 500 euros a night. This is common in many hotels in Europe which still makes no sense to me, but okay. Also, my rooms were not connecting, not even close so the adults had to be separated.
Rooms were very clean, but very average.
Staff at the front desk was very personable and helpful in person.
We purchased half board and had dinner in the hotel every night. The food was exceptional. Service was a little slow for us because of our children, but overall dinner had to be the best aspect we experienced at the hotel. Breakfast was also good & included in our stay.
Pool in the hotel is roof top. I found it to be extremely dangerous. There are horizontal bars surrounding it and I envisioned children potentially climbing the bars and falling to their deaths. Needless to say, I only brought my kids up there once for my own peace of mind.
The "kids club" at the beach was a huge part of our decision to stay at this hotel. This is not your typical "kids club" where you can leave your kids to get an hour or so to yourself. I tried one day and saw all 3 children in different parts of the beach area unattended, even my 4 yr old.
One of the biggest disappointments was the beach area. There was a storm the 1st night we got there & it took the beach personnel 3 days to even out the huge, painful rocks on the beach with a loud pavement roller. They roped off the area & were even rude about letting us sit in the vicinity.
Finally, one of my children forgot her teddy bear in the hotel. We realized it 2 hours after leaving the hotel. I called immediately and was promised it would be sent to my home in the US. 2 months later, and after 7 or 8 emails, my child has yet to receive teddy. The staff was really good about responding to my emails BEFORE our stay, but they have yet to respond to any emails after we departed.
All in all, SM is a beautiful area....for adults.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
pciana, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Best Western Regina Elena, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2014

Dear Travelinf,
We are sorry you and your husband had to sleep separately, but the reason why the rooms were not close is because you booked two different kinds of room: one double with sea view and one for three people without sea view (standard) which obviously cannot be next to each other.
Concerning your comments about our swimming pool, actually we think that danger for children can be hidden anywhere when they’re not properly looked after by their parents. As you can see from many other reviews, our roof top is one of our most enjoyable and attractive facilities for families!
Our kids club is more a service than a place where parents can forget their children: two sweet and lively girls entertain little boys and girls with games, craft and several daily activities, while their parents are relaxing on the same beach.
Our beach staff took the necessary time and used the most suitable instruments to get the beach back in the perfect conditions it used to be before the huge storm. Of course, for safety reasons, people could not lie too close to the works .
We apologize for our delay in answering your two e-mails (we never received 7 or 8) and in sending the teddy bear to your daughter; July and August are the busiest months of the year for us.
Thanking you for your nice comments about our staff and food, kind regards.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Travelling with children I booked two superior ocean facing rooms, which they managed to accommodate next door to one another. My husband and I had a corner room with triple balcony, which was excellent value, considering I paid the same price for my children's room next door which in comparison, was far smaller, with the room not being quite so nice either. So if you do book - definitely request a corner room with triple balcony. You will certainly not be disappointed with the views out over the bay - stunning! On one evening as I fell asleep, I left the doors open and whilst laying in bed watched a big firework display taking place on the other side of the bay - magical!

The service from all of the staff we encountered was excellent, every single request we had was catered for, with nothing being too much trouble; even the maids giggled away when our children had locked their room key inside for the hundredth time - they were incredibly sweet and kind. Breakfast was a buffet, again very enjoyable and is served either inside or outside.

My children really enjoyed the roof-top swimming pool and on some occasions took advantage of the children's club located on the private beach opposite, which has daily activities, table tennis, art and crafts and trampolines.

Decorated in deco style, it is a very pleasant setting, minutes from the centre of Santa M. L., and only a fifteen minute stroll to Portofino (regular boats run between the two, or one day we hired our own boat to take us around which is definitely recommended).

Car parking at the hotel is E18 per day, which is reasonable for the area, safe and easily accessible if you need to keep nipping back to the car.

I would certainly recommend this hotel, but I would most strongly suggest a superior ocean facing room, as this does make the experience so much more enjoyable.

Room Tip: Front facing ocean view - particularly a corner room with triple balcony if available.
1  Thank BDC-CityTraveller
pciana, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Best Western Regina Elena, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2014

Dear Beverleyd,
Thank you for making such a fantastic description of our hotel and our area!
We are ever so happy to understand that you enjoyed everything so much! This is a further stimulus for us to do better and better every day!
Hoping to welcome you again in the next future, kindest regards.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

This was any easy walk from train station, if you have a lot of luggage get a taxi as a couple of minutes. Arrived early and frosty reception when asked if we could leave bags etc. Once asked for upgrade another staff member said would be able to get ocean view room in main building on high floor, ready just after lunch and we could use pool/beach etc. We opted to look around town and have lunch. On return room ready, good size and clean and tidy and great view from balcony. Excellent large double shower as well. Rooftop pool was excellent views across whole of Santa M and enough chairs for all. Beach is private and you get free entry and towel, but have to pay for deckchair/umbrella (free beach is better in my view). Breakfast buffet was ok, but spread around restaurant. Good outside area as well if you wanted to sit outside. Great location and about 45 mins walk to Portofino along excellent walkway. Bus only takes 10mins and stops outside hotel. SM is great place to base if doing the area, lots of cafes/restaurants and easy to get around. Think the male staff on reception could do with some customer care training, as female staff pretty good and helpful.

1  Thank DPS41
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We hadn't booked ahead but were able to secure a room in the main building with a sea view and a balcony. The room was very comfortable and we had no quibbles with our accommodation, and the food was really good. However, we found that the staff were somewhat supercilious and even downright arrogant at times, such a shame.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Verity203
pciana, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Best Western Regina Elena, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Verity 203,
We are ever so sorry to read these words about our staff! Every hotel employee takes care of guests with kindness and helpfulness, to give them the opportunity to spend a beautiful stay with us. That’s why we think it must have been only a misunderstanding…but we do apologize about it.
Thank you for your lovely comments about the accommodation and the food!
Kind regards,

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Arrived @ Hotel Regina Elena on a glorious sunny Sunday , check in was pleasant and very speedy by an attentive member of staff! I did know from my travel agent that our room 626 would be in the adjacent building but I do feel the hotel should really improve the entrance to this area of their hotel.The porter showed us to our room via the lift which I do accept we needed to use as we had luggage, now this was fairly run down looking and I was wondering what had I let myself in for but I must say the room was quite pleasant if small! After we discovered we could access our room via the stone steps, a much nicer way to enter, pity we weren't told about this @ check in!! This hotel is a bit of a walk from the center of SM and the last hotel on the way to Portofino, it has its own private beach but must say we didn't avail of it because of the area for swimming too small and stony, nicer swimming area on the beach next to it. We had breakfast each morning an adequate buffet selection in the sunny breakfast room.Would recommend the Regina Elena but I think I would actually stay in the hotel not in the adjacent building !!

Room Tip: In the hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple