This is a really lovely hotel in the beautiful town of Santa Margherita. We booked a standard room for 7 nights and were given a room in a separate building, a short walk through the gardens away from the main building. We were not expecting anything special, as we had booked the lowest cost room, but is was clean, a good size and plenty of wardrobe space. The window gave a side view of the sea, which made the room a little on the dark side. It was perfectly adequate, but it was not a place you wanted to spend much time once you were ready to go out. In reality, we were not sure what to expect, but were a little disappointed, mainly due to the lack of light and a fairly small window for the size of room.
We upgraded for the last 4 nights by paying a small supplement - We moved to a room in the main building with a view over the swimming pool and sea. What a difference, so worth the extra money – it was a family room, really bright and airy, with a balcony, and best of all, the rush to leave the room had gone, as we just wanted to spend the evenings on the balcony enjoying a
nice glass of Prosecco and the lovely view. Breakfast was good and varied, taken outside on the main terrace – For some reason breakfast seems to taste so much nicer outside. Rather strangely there were supplements for certain items such as fruit, soft boiled eggs etc. The range of food and freshness of the pastries was more than enough to start you off for the day.
As the temperature was over 30C in the week we were there, we made a lot of use of swimming the pool, which is situated in a very picturesque setting in the lovely gardens. The young life guard could not have been more helpful and the pool, although not large, was never crowded and fantastically refreshing and inviting after a hot morning sightseeing. The reception staff were ever helpful, very efficient and friendly. Hotel is a short walk from the centre, so ideally located and about 5 minutes walk from the train station.
We loved Santa Margherita, and loved this hotel. I would not hesitate to come back here as we enjoyed every minute of our stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Traditional hotel dating from 1900 with modern amenities; situated in a serene garden setting with private beach, facing the sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Ebookers, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HRS, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Metropole reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Metropole Santa Margherita Ligure
- Metropole Hotel Santa Margherita Ligure