All reviews train station cinque terre half board beach area beautiful flowers end of september nice pool short walk late at night scrambled eggs and bacon main restaurant large patio small beach italian riviera great room lounge chairs old style
Reviewed 18 July 2016 via mobile

This is a very special, somewhat traditional Italian hotel, owned and managed by the same family for many decades. The staff is extremely attentive and constant, the food delicious, rooms lovely with views of the sea and gardens! The beach and swimming pool both are wonderful! It's very accommodating for families of all ages, honeymooners, etc. It is an easy walk to the center of Sta. Margherita and a pleasant walk (2 miles) to Portofino. We think it's perfect!

Date of stay: July 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2016

Attentive staff, room adequate, food very good. Beach front outstanding. Only complaint was our room had a flood light pointing at the facade that came in directly through the window, so it was never dark even with all curtains closed. We told management but nothing was done.

2  Thank Chris R
Reviewed 13 July 2016

My wife and I have just returned from celebrating my 70th birthday at the Metropole and I can only say that our stay was most enjoyable. This is a hotel that celebrates the sort of service that disappeared years ago in other places. There is a porter to get your luggage up into your room. The staff are politely attentive and efficient. You soon get to know them and they are all quite charming. The accommodation is spotlessly clean, the beds comfortable and everything is where you would expect it to be. The air conditioning is quietly efficient and the soundproofing good. Our room had a small balcony overlooking the terrace, swimming pool and garden - with a view over trees to the boats bobbing in Sta Margherita's beautiful bay. It had a large screen tv with channels that could be set to English movie soundtracks, as long as you know how to do it. So plenty of entertainment for tellylovers - but, sadly for my wife, no Eastenders.

The restaurant is first class, food of high quality - you will not lose weight! Service is attentive and helpful. Coffee and liqueurs can be taken on the terrace. The swimming pool is pleasantly situated with adequate numbers of free loungers but loungers on the hotel's beachfront attract a daily charge. There is a restaurant on the beach (not run by the hotel) but we did not eat there. Changing rooms are also available as is a fitness/spa complex where you can get the usual pamperings if you book in advance (they get masseurs in if you book).

Do't get me wrong, if you are looking for palatial luxury you wont find it here. Its not all antiques and ingratiating subservience. Its just really nice. Beleieve me you will like it!

I could go on and on but I wont, save to say that this is hotel life as it used to be, not old fashioned in any way but with the sort of service and courtesy my parents and I expected when I was a boy. We shall return!

Room tip: Room in main building overlooking terrace, pool and garden is best. The road outside is busy and quite noisy but it never bothered us.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank cheesypeas
Reviewed 10 July 2016

Great value, very friendly staff, beautiful garden, great sunbeds with services, top service from everyone employed, very well situated in lovely Santa Margherita, highly recommendable. Breakfast on terrace / in garden very lovely. Beach restaurant with fresh homemade food, new menu every day. Very nice rooms with nice views towards the bay and the garden.

Reviewed 9 July 2016

STAFF - overall friendly staff. But had issues with the housekeeping, as they seemed desperate to clean my room, and knocked more than 5 times in 3 hours to come inside. There is no option of putting a do not disturb sign.
FOOD - nice breakfast. Had lunch at their restaurant by the beach, the food was good as well.
Really nice garden, and private beach area.
ROOMS - a bit outdated but clean and comfortable.
Overall a bit expensive for what it is.

Date of stay: May 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
giovanni c, Proprietario at Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2016

Dear Guest,
We thank you for your nice feedback about your stay at the Hotel Metropole . We are glad to read that you appreciated our property.
About the housekeeping, that knocked more times to come inside we would like to inform that in all our room is a plastic sign to put outside the door with the two options “clean” or “don’t disturb”.
Also you can lock the door - as explained on the back of the door – turning the inside key in a way that a red botton-alert inform that nobody can walk-in.
Sorry that you haven’t read this.
Assuring our best attention in the future we hope to receive you again at the Metropole
With best regards