“Bliss on a budget!”
Review of Hotel Calypso

Hotel Calypso
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Ventimiglia
Reviewed 29 June 2013

This off-the-itinerary stay was necessitated by last-minute train changes. I booked easily on line. and wondered what my first night ever in Italy would provide. Bliss! After a short zig-zag walk from the train station, from the front door, I could see the Mediterranena one block away, just past a lush park. Warm front desk welcome despite my limited Italian, a beautiful room with hardwood floors and view of the sun setting over the mountains. I could sit on the balcony and soak it in. Sparkling well-appointed bath, bidet included. My entire suite so clean you could eat off the floor. The manager recommended a lovely place for dinner. The next morning, I found a generous buffet breakfast and the best coffee I've ever had. Many fruits, breads, cheeses, cereals, yogurt...excellent start for a day, except I didn't want to leave! I'll be back, for sure.

Room Tip: Lovely sunset views from back rooms; light streams into the bath, as well.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Gail S

Reviewed 23 June 2013

We are just about to leave this hotel, when we first arrived I was horrified to find there was no air conditioning, only a ceiling fan. This I thought would be horrible as the weather was warm to hot. I was very wrong. Our room had opening french doors with a roller shutter that allowed opening slots for air flow, so we had the doors open and the shutter down with the slots open for privacy plus the fan going. Not a problem at one point we got cold and had to close the doors.
This hotel is clean, well maintained and the hosts are very good at their jobs. They provide a very good breakfast, It is a short walk to the foreshore and a short walk to the rail station which will take you anywhere along the coast in France. It also has a garage which is handy if you pick up a hire car or are traveling with a car. All up this hotel is good value.

Room Tip: Want to go to Monaco with no hassles, stay at this hotel and take the train into Monaco, it is about...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Me and My wife have visited Ventimiglia for jus on night in July 2012. I was on crutches at that time and had a hard time grabing a cab to go to the Trains station right after checking-out. The owner saw our hurry and bad time and physical conditions and didn't even cared to call a cab for us, once he had a few contacts. And also, we booked it for being so close to the trains statios, as the website said, but no way it was only 50 meters. If we weren't with any physical issues, no problem at all, but we hope this information is corrected for people who count on a short walk distance. One other thing is that There was no Bellman at late night to carry our heavy bags to the 1st floor. My wife had to do it once I wasn't able to, but we knew there was one set of stairs when we booked. However, the breakfast was really good as we felt cosy and conforted with good options of food. On the Beach street, following down the hotel street and taking the left, after passing a bar, there's a small pizzeria/trattoria with 3 old ladies that were fabulous. The food was great and they went all the way to the hotel helping me carryong the take-out food. The pasta was incredible and this experience with the proprieter made Ventimiglia be not only a one-night stop, but a good one-shotplace to be. Being so close to Cote d'azur is also a good point.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Moreno89, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Calypso, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2013

Dear Osldrac,
Thank you for having chosen the Hotel Calypso. We are really sorry to hear that when you've visited us, you've been stressed and with bad physical conditions. Of course we always try to do the best for our clients: if you just had asked to the reception to call a taxi, we would have done it with pleasure. Calling a taxi is one of the many things we do everyday, but unfortunately sometimes we got a lot of work and we can't catch our customers' thoughts, if they don't help us explaining their needs.
We are also sorry about the wrong indication you've found, but on our official website it's not written anywhere we are close just 50 meters to the city's train station. Maybe you've found this imprecision on an other website which we'll try to find and proceed to change it.
However we are glad you've enjoyed your stay and we thank you for having reminded us, after a whole year, writing this review.
Best regards,

Reviewed 13 June 2013

Great hotel and people, good location close to both beach and station. Was stranded in Ventimiglia after my flight from Nice got cancelled at the last minute due to French air traffic controller strike, spent the night at this hotel, lovely breakfast, really friendly and helpful couple running the hotel, speak excellent English too, went over and above to help me, including printing a new boarding pass for me and serving me breakfast at 6am so I could catch the train to Genoa and my new flight out!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Moreno89, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Calypso, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2013

Thank you for choosing Calypso Hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and managed to catch your flight in the morning! We look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Spent one night here, in early September, with my family, on the way by car to Toulouse, France.
VERY NICE! Clean and classy. The room was spacious, clean and elegant and featured great beds. The bathroom was big and of a quality you might not expect from a "small" hotel.
And what a breakfast! Everything was fresh and tasty. Overall, a stay to remember and one of the highlights of our trip.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Moreno89, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Calypso, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2013

Thank you for having chosen the Hotel Calypso and for this great review on TripAdvisor. We are glad you have enjoyed your stay and it will be our pleasure if you'd like to come back to visit us. Thanks of our best clients like you, we got now the Trip Advisor Certificate of Exellence 2013.
Best regards,

Reviewed 18 January 2013

After a long days drive from Barcelona we were done with driving and took the off ramp in Ventimiglia and started looking for a hotel. My wife glanced down a side street and saw the Calypso so we stopped and walked back to the hotel. At the time we just wanted a room but what luck to find a hotel 2 blocks from the beach at a reasonable price and the open market just around the corner. The hotel staff was very helpful and the rooms were OK. Breakfast was sufficient so we had no complaints.

The best was the location which provided an easy walk to town and the beach. We talked with a local resident and he recommended a great family run restaurant just a few minute’s walk from the hotel. We had a very pleasant dinner and all the atmosphere you would expect from a family owned Italian restaurant. If you want to find the restaurant walk across the pedestrian foot bridge at the end of Giardni park and the restaurant is on the other side at the end of bridge.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lee W
Moreno89, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Calypso, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

Thank you for having chosen the Hotel Calypso and for this nice review on TripAdvisor. We are glad you have enjoyed your stay and it will be our pleasure if you'd like to come back to visit us. Best regards,

Reviewed 21 December 2012

I have written a previous review with more information, so feel free to scroll through and find it.

Not much has changed since my last stay a year ago. This time we stayed for 3 nights and it was like being welcomed back to family.

Apart from the excellent location, friendly staff...the best thing is how clean and affordable it is...and not many choices of properties like this in Ventimiglia. You are literally in the heart of everything.

This stay we were on the 3rd floor, which got very tiring going up and down the stairs. The room instead of a bath, had a shower (which I much preferred) as well as a balcony overlooking the street frontage.
Great to see the door bell has been fixed and not as noisy as previous stays!

The bed is hard and the pillows could be softer, and during summer it is very very hot...but that is to be expected during July.

Just a small tip for travellers. There are NO laundromats in Ventimiglia, only in nearby towns (15mins by car), so if you're planning on doing any washing..it just isn't available in town.

I will continue to stay here whenever I visit the town (yearly) and thank them again for their wonderful service.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Moreno89, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Calypso, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2012

We are really glad you came back to our hotel and that you appreciated it, again. We are happy about customers like you, because we can always take care of our clients and understand where we can do better. Glad also to see you realized we heard your suggestion about the door bell and the changement done! We wish you a happy new year and we'll wait for your next visit,
HC

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ventimiglia
Hotel Posta
#1 of 12 in Bordighera
La Riserva di Castel d'Appio
La Riserva di Castel d'Appio
#3 of 11 in Ventimiglia

Been to Hotel Calypso? Share your experiences!