Hotel Calypso
  • Beachfront
Villaggio del Sole(Ventimiglia)
  • Pool
Average 3/5
All reviewsfriday marketgreat hotelquiet at nightwater frontcontinental buffet stylebreakfast includeda family run hotelair conditioningstationmetersgaragereceptionist
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Fantastic location, near the station and just down the road from the beach. Lovely, clean room and shared bathroom, but that was no problem. Friendly staff at the reception, for the price I think this is a great deal. Ventimiglia surprised me, although it is not a touristy place.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights as part of an interrailing holiday round Europe. The hotel was in a nice street, about a 3 minute walk to the beach. Staff were friendly and the breakfast was suffice (croissants, spreads, coffee, juice). We had one of the twin rooms with a shared bathroom - both were spotlessly clean. The room was very basic and the beds looked a little like army camp beds, which my husband and I found hilarious! All in all a decent place to stay for a couple of nights. Whilst we were there a heatwave hit Europe and there was no air-con in the room. This was its biggest downfall for us. We had nowhere to escape from the relentless heat. The cafe bars along the beach also do not have air-con. If I was staying in Ventimiglia again I would probably try to find a hotel with air-con but that might just be because we are from Scotland and can't handle the heat!!

Ventimiglia itself is also very basic. A few streets with old-fashioned shops and some nice cafe/bars. The main street along the beach is filled with restaurants. We ate at the same on both nights. I can't remember its name but if you are standing with your back to the sea, it is the one on the furthest left corner (this is the street you would walk up to get to the Calypso). The lady who owned the place was lovely and she made fantastic lasagne and a tasty octopus salad!

The beach is not a sandy one, lots of tiny stones, a bit like Brighton.

Room Tip: Maybe check if your room has air-con.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Moreno89, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Calypso, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. It's a pity the heat wave came at such an inopportune time; we'd be happy to show you our accommodation options including our air-conditioned rooms the next time you find yourself in Ventimiglia.
HC

Reviewed 1 July 2013

We arrived late at night and found the hotel from the train station with little difficulty. When we arrived we checked in and asked about train times to Pisa, the receptionist was unbelievably helpful and knew the train times. We had to leave very early, so she had made a packed breakfast for us to eat. The room itself was light and cool with a lovely balcony. It was very clean, the bathroom facilities were amazing. Although we only stayed for one night the location was perfect, close to the train station and very close to the beach (shamefully we could not check it out though) . I cannot fault anything about the hotel, the staff were fantastic, the location was brilliant and the room was lovely. Overall, i would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Ami W

Thank you so much for your exquisite review, we are pleased to hear we had the honor to be the first ones to host you in our beautiful country. We try to do our best day by day to provide our customers the perfect stay and it's assuring to receive comments such as yours.
We definitely hope to welcome you again if passing by our Riviera.
HC

Reviewed 29 June 2013

This off-the-itinerary stay was necessitated by last-minute train changes. I booked easily on line. and wondered what my first night ever in Italy would provide. Bliss! After a short zig-zag walk from the train station, from the front door, I could see the Mediterranena one block away, just past a lush park. Warm front desk welcome despite my limited Italian, a beautiful room with hardwood floors and view of the sun setting over the mountains. I could sit on the balcony and soak it in. Sparkling well-appointed bath, bidet included. My entire suite so clean you could eat off the floor. The manager recommended a lovely place for dinner. The next morning, I found a generous buffet breakfast and the best coffee I've ever had. Many fruits, breads, cheeses, cereals, yogurt...excellent start for a day, except I didn't want to leave! I'll be back, for sure.

Room Tip: Lovely sunset views from back rooms; light streams into the bath, as well.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Gail S
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We are just about to leave this hotel, when we first arrived I was horrified to find there was no air conditioning, only a ceiling fan. This I thought would be horrible as the weather was warm to hot. I was very wrong. Our room had opening french doors with a roller shutter that allowed opening slots for air flow, so we had the doors open and the shutter down with the slots open for privacy plus the fan going. Not a problem at one point we got cold and had to close the doors.
This hotel is clean, well maintained and the hosts are very good at their jobs. They provide a very good breakfast, It is a short walk to the foreshore and a short walk to the rail station which will take you anywhere along the coast in France. It also has a garage which is handy if you pick up a hire car or are traveling with a car. All up this hotel is good value.

Room Tip: Want to go to Monaco with no hassles, stay at this hotel and take the train into Monaco, it is about 20 mins by train and costs 12 Euro for a couple. Hassle free, no parking problems and the station is in the centre of Monaco, you can walk to everything like we did or you can take a hop on hop or a tourist train. Makes the day stress free and a joy. You can do the same with Nice which is a nightmare to negotiate by car!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple