“A welcome surprise”
Review of GombitHotel

GombitHotel
Ranked #9 of 34 Hotels in Bergamo
Reviewed 5 July 2013

After arriving at an apt. we had rented online that was a dark hole, our taxi driver brought us here.
At first it looked too modern (after all this is a town that goes back to the first century BC) but after learning it really is a historic building and seeing the most comfortable and air-conditioned rooms, we jumped for it. And we were very lucky as walk-ins on a July day. Great location, great staff and the church bells bring me right back to our second home in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico!

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor i.e. 4th
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 July 2013

Today is my final of 4 days at Gombit. I had a wonderful stay. I always love the combination of ancient and modern, hard and soft, charm with mod cons. If you enjoy contemporary art, you'll also probably love this place. Fabulous paintings and site-specific installations include amusing touches like a big seed like a coconut as the drapery closure tip on 15 foot high drapes; an enormous painting spreading across the breakfast room walls reminiscent of Antonio Tapies; open notebooks inviting your written comments with attached pens were strung along a wire and curly metal coils. An almost 1000 year old building was renovated a couple of years ago to be very modern inside. I smiled at the niche in the old stone wall now housing a clear-sound mini speaker. The young woman serving cappuccino at breakfast replenished cheeses and sliced fruits and whatever else was needed or requested, all with a smile.

I was in room 6, a small suite, which was lovely. I peeked into room 4 during cleaning and it is right next to the elevator, so I wouldn't have enjoyed that room so much. The natural light was much better in 4 than 6, however.

Rather than book through a third party site, I'd recommend calling or emailing the hotel directly. They will probably match, or be lower than a booking site, and perhaps than their own website's rack rate. I always prefer to give a small hotel all the booking money rather than have them split it with a big booking site. It's a win-win that way.

Housekeeping is excellent.

I appreciated the robe and slippers. The white cotton bed linens with double sheets enclosing the duvet are soft and comfortable and fresh.

The front desk staff is polite, although a bit reserved (until we finally really chatted today, which was delightful.) They, upon request, recommended perfect places, and even specific dishes at a certain restaurant.

Now, the sometimes frustrating things which still won't let me remove a star from this review. I read previous TA reviews before booking and thought I was prepared for Gombit's quirks, but they still took some getting used to. The design sometimes trumps function: the bathroom sink took me 2 days to learn how to (mostly) avoid epic wetness all over myself, the mirror and walls. I finally got the hang of taking a shower without almost flooding the bathroom. There isn't an overflow valve in the square sink, so if you hand wash clothes, stay there to turn off be water, or you'll flood the bathroom floor, which has no floor drain. And the bathroom floor meets the room's wood floor-- inviting a slippery accident and a mess. USE SLIPPERS PROVIDED or non-skid shoes as the wet slick floor is dangerous. The bed is too firm and the pillows, unlike soft down another poster described and disliked, are also solid and too firm for me. The elevator bell rings loudly at each stop and the housekeeping room is across the narrow hall from the door and bed in room 6, so it was noisy in the mornings.....if I didn't have my mighty Mack's silicone earplugs in snugly. (I swear by those things and have them in each piece of luggage/tote/sometimes even purse.) Be prepared to hear church bells early-- again, I used earplugs, so I wasn't disturbed, but without them, the noise in the room would've disturbed me. I'm writing all these negatives which would ordinarily cause me to remove a star, or even two, but my overall stay was so restful and enjoyable, I just can't.

Citta Alta is wonderful. Staying within the old walls was special, and you do get the sense of protection that others 1000 years or so ago must have felt. I highly recommend Gombit. Just bring Mack's and take care with the bathroom water!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 June 2013

The Gombit is a stylish hotel with large well appointed rooms that blend the historic feel of the 13th Century building with contemporary design and modern art. Its location - just off the city square - is very convenient for sight seeing. There are many restaurants close by. If you arrive by train, the taxi fare from the station is EUR10 - though it is not always easy to find a taxi.

Downsides of the Gombit hotel are the unreliable wifi (it was down more than it was working during our four day stay) and the variable hot water.

Overall - a hotel to consider for a short break.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 May 2013

It is very difficult to rate any property on a scale from 1 to 5 so here it goes:
Lobby 9
Staff 10
Room 9.6
--Size 10
--Cleanness 10
--Bed 9.5
--Bathroom 9.5
--Room Cleaning 10
--Bar 9 (offers red/white wine, water, juices, nuts, etc)
Breakfast 10
Internet 10 free wifi, good speed
Overall, without weighting the categories, as to different people different aspects are going to have different importance, the mathematical average is 9.7 out of 10

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Really interesting hotel, very unusual and cool with great features. Room was big and very comfortable, bathroom (esp shower) was wonderful. Brilliant location. You could open the large windows and listen to the medieval bells ringing all day. Wonderful.
Only downside (and it may seem a little fussy) but lots of hotels are adopting the feather pillow which is more fabric than feather. They fluff up nicely when made, but when you put your head on it, it collapses. For someone with a bad neck, it was crap. From then on in other hotels, I asked for polyester pillows with a bit more omph to them.
Breakfast was lovely.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2013

The location is perfect - Bergamo Alta, and just 50 m from where you can park the car. Good restaurants nearby. Spacious room, with a very high ceiling, and a deal of personality - resulting from the combination of the old architecture with the modern design. The bathroom was comfortable and elegant as well. Well, not the cheapest perhaps, but that's about the location. I recommend it, also to a couple for a romantic weekend.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 March 2013

We love Bergamo Alta & The Gombit is in a perfect location.

Yes the hotel is expensive but i think it's worth it - our room was really spacious - beautifully designed - very comfortable & toasty warm & with two wonderful windows that let light in.

& unlike our first visit this time the bathroom was also comfortable. & the towels are lovely.

The housekeeping is impeccable. Some staff are friendly & some are reserved & I think less sure of their English.

My biggest gripe is that for the money no one offers any assistance with bags. Three staff watched us (a couple old enough to be their parents) struggle in out of the rain with our bags & no one came out from behind reception & helped. Poor form.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple