“wonderful little hotel to use for Bergamo”
Review of La Valletta Relais

La Valletta Relais
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Bergamo
Santa Cruz, CA
“wonderful little hotel to use for Bergamo”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

we had originally scheduled a 3 night stay here, at the end of a northern Italy trip for our family of 4. I was excited, because I had heard lots of good things about bergamo. I reserved a large room for us with a terrace. However, due to our own mistake with the place we were staying prior to Bergamo, we cancelled 2 of the 3 nights at La Valletta with short notice. I felt terrible about this, but Mario was able to rebook the room, though I know it was frustrating for him, also. I would have paid for the room had he not been able to rebook... Anyway, when we arrived, he was very gracious and cheerful. I loved the place, which only made me feel worse. Our room was great, we all agreed it was our favorite room of our trip. very homey, clean, with space for the 4 of us, and the lovely terrace. The hotel has a view of the city below, and all around is very green with pretty gardens. We were able to walk easily to Citta Alta: he will direct you, and it is a lovely 15 minute walk. They will shuttle you if you want, but if you are able to walk, I highly recommend it. We walked back in a rain storm and there was thunder and lightening all night. Breakfast was lovely on their shared Terrace. I wish we had more time there, it would have been very relaxing. He has protected parking, if you have a car.

Room Tip: Ask him to help you choose....
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JustPeg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 4 June 2014

If you want to spend some days in a relaxing area and close to the city in Bergamo, where is not costly, has a hospitable and worm owner I will offer you to straight go to La Valletta hotel. The rooms are cleaned every day, buffet breakfast can be satisfactory for you and everybody helps you in any way. Wish you a nice stay there.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Mohammad F
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed at La Valletta for four nights, and would have loved to stay longer. Mario and his wife are friendly, helpful, and accommodating, without being overbearing. The room was lovely with a gorgeous, newly decorated large bathroom.

Even though the room had no balcony there was still a beautiful view from both there and the terrace, and we enjoyed walking the 15 minutes to the Old Town each morning. Mario runs a handy and cheap shuttle service if you do need a ride, but the area is so stunning in its views that a stroll is a treat.

La Valletta is situated in a tranquil area, where you wake up to birdsong and the sounds of friendly locals passing by. I cannot recommend it enough.

1 Thank Lara K
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We arrived in Bergamo around 11pm after dinner with friends in Milano. The owner was waiting for us and put us not in one room but two rooms which was amazing. Great rooms, clean with super internet access and excellent views. Breakfast was very complete and we had everything we needed. We really want to come back to Bergamo and will stay in the same hotel to explore more of the city. One of the days I really felt relaxed walking through the old town.

Room Tip: I think the rooms on the left side of the hotel have nice balconies and excellent views.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Itala, Italy
Reviewed 14 May 2014

La Valetta is situated above Bergamo Alto, about 15 minutes walk from the old town. Quiet and lovely area, beautiful trees and meadows and stunning views. The rooms are big, but old and the bathrooms brand new. The owners are friendly and helpful and speak English. He runs a free shuttle service to the old town. Unfortunately the breakfast was below average. The breakfast isn't included. Burned, undrinkable coffee and mediocre cakes etc. Had I known that I would not have bothered. The 'dining' room is without any charm - for a place with such a lovely view. Cannot understand that.
I do recommend La Valetta. Just don't bother with breakfast.

3 Thank Patricia S
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014

This is a perfect place to stay. It has fantastic views and is a great place to relax away from the hustle and bustle of Bergamo. The attention to detail provided by Mario and his wife is something that I have not experienced anywhere else, and I have not stayed anywhere before where the facilities are kept in such pristine condition. We will definitely return!

Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 5 May 2014

First, I want to say that this is a beautiful property, quiet, secluded, absolutely tranquil. The room was huge with floor-to-ceiling windows, a giant and completely new bathroom, and a very comfortable bed. I want to be as kind and fair as I can, but the reality is, I booked my room with its private terrace more than 8 months ago, and had several confirming emails from Mario, which I printed and brought with me. But when we arrived, Graziela had no idea who we were, and did not have our reservation in the system. After an increasingly stress-filled period of time, during which she found Mario on the phone, it was explained to us that they had changed computer systems some months ago, and our reservation was lost. They said they had a family of six people coming, and could not deny them the room, nor could they break up the family. I suggested that they should honor my reservation, since I had clearly booked it ahead of all the other guests, but they would not do it. They allowed us to stay one night, with no charge, and Mario did everything he could to try to make up for the mistake. He took us, in driving rain, to another property they own, that was empty and we could have had the entire 3-story house to ourselves, but without a car, we felt it was just too remote. His other proposal was to negotiate a good rate for us in a hotel in town, which we accepted. It was the wonderful hotel Gombit, which we had also considered. My heart was broken, because I had chosen this hotel out of all the hotels in Bergamo due to its secluded location in the hills. We can only take one European vacation every one or two years, and this week in the hills was going to be my tranquil down time. They apologized profusely, and genuinely felt terrible. But I still feel that no matter what, they should have honored our reservation. My pictures show how exceptional this property is.

Room Tip: The room with the private terrace is exceptional. The terrace is huge, and you can hear donkeys and...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple