“Probably the best choice in the area!!!”

Pescallo Apartments
“Probably the best choice in the area!!!”
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Very nice place, beautiful view, special fornitures and well organized service!
We had long and quie sleep and rest in this peacefull heaven.
We even had a dinner with the owner, in his beautiful apartment and we had a great time, feeling like Home.
Thanks Pietro, we'll back soon

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank SimonLo

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Pescallo Apartments

3 bedroom top floor apartment. One week stay in July / August 2012. Five adults including two couples. Cost €3300.00

The owner Pietro told us that he is a furniture manufacturer by profession and it appears he has only recently entered the hotel and catering business. We met Pietro upon arrival as he prefers to collect the full rental fee in advance. We next saw him on the eve of our departure when the water supply to our apartment was cut off for an hour. During this hiatus nearby residents were extremely helpful and generous, offering us bottled water and providing the reassurance that our supply would be reinstated quickly. And that was the case.

It is worth bearing in mind that the new Pescallo website omits essential information about a number of things relating to this rental, such as that neither of the two upstairs bedrooms has conventional windows. Unfortunately there are no photos of these two quite claustrophobic bedrooms on the current website in August 2012. A careful examination of the plan for the apartment clearly reveals the problem. One bedroom has a small electrically operated overhead Velux skylight with a view of just a patch of sky and the other has a small high triangular window which gives a view of just the side of a chimney stack, or of the lake if I stood on a chair. The lower bedroom in the tower is reached by a connecting balcony and has splendid french doors with a superb view of the lake. This makes the second and third rooms disappointing by comparison. These upstairs rooms do nevertheless have excellent ensuite facilities with stylish modern fittings but the rooms are small and wardrobe space is extremely limited having been squeezed into available space in the roof eaves. However there is extra wardrobe space downstairs just inside the apartment entrance door.

From the promising reviews we had read we were expecting a certain element of ‘WOW’ factor but unfortunately this didn't happen. The accommodation would be less suitable for the elderly, or infirm because there are several steep flights of steps in the building as well as ninety cobbled steps climbing to the road which leads into the town centre.

Within the apartment the lounge living area has neither air-conditioning nor ceiling fans. A couple of pedestal fans would have sufficed and would cost very little but Pietro told me that he felt it would not be worth the expense because it wasn't normally as warm as during our visit. Thus we needed to keep the lounge windows open to allow for a through airflow. This inevitably led to the ingress of flies and rodents, which proved to be a real nuisance. The Virginia Creeper which covers the whole apartment block also provides ready access for these creatures. When I suggested to Pietro that he might consider removing the plant growth he told me that tourists like to photograph the building in autumn when the leaves are red, and moreover there is a local planning restriction which prevents its removal. Interestingly none of the neighbouring properties are similarly covered.

Pescallo is a beautiful location near to Bellagio on Lake Como but in my opinion this apartment is not suitable for three adult couples. The contemporary design of the layout tends to result in form interfering with function. The two roof space bedrooms could be reconfigured to incorporate lake view dormer windows, which would then make this apartment first class. Full air-conditioning would make the experience a lot more comfortable in high summer. Pietro and his architect have done a job but they have not done it as well as they could have. I wish that they had as I would have loved to have given the property a five star rating but as it is right now I could not recommend this apartment to my friends.

I wouldn't want my comments to deter any visitors to Pescallo apartments, but I feel that it is useful to have a fuller picture than just that provided by the proprietor.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank Wilko_gnu
Muscat Governorate, Oman
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Firstly I would like to say to anyone considering renting a Pescallo apartment to please read the positive reviews as this is what you can expect from Pescallo hands down. It is a beautiful well appointed apartment with a wonderful ambiance right on the lake. Pietro is so lovely and kind. I stayed here with my husband and 2 children aged 3 and 5 for a week and it was absolutely perfect! The walk from Pescallo to Bellagio took me 5 minutes (at night to get Gelati!!). I saw 70 year old women carrying their bags of groceries back to their homes via this passageway which is hardly a precipitous climb. If you walked incredibly slowly it could take you 10 minutes I guess... I agree with bicocchinaonesta, I think maralinka visited another place!! The creeper on the outside of the villa is absolutely divine (especially in Autumn!) and is part of its charm. I could not imagine how anyone could want it removed! You only have to see it in the photos to see how beautiful it is. The apartment has everything you need to cook for yourselves if you choose to do so and also they have a menu you can order from that will deliver to your door (delicious pizzas!). We slept with our window open every night to listen to the sounds of the lake. We stayed at the end of October and the apartment was beautiful and warm due to the amazing underfloor heating. There is also reverse cycle airconditioning in each of the bedrooms. There are televisions in the bedrooms. They have HDMI access points at the back. We usually bring our HDMI cords on holidays along with usb sticks with movies for the kids so it was easy to send the children up to their room to watch a movie whilst we sat downstairs on the lovely comfy couches enjoying the music, wine and beautiful view of the lake. Personally I think Pescallo is excellent value with 2 bedrooms, a large living/dining area and literally right on the water! Oh, I forgot to mention the bed!! Seriously comfortable bed!! I only wish my 3 year old would have let me stay in it for longer! Plus a daily maid service which was a bonus. I would not hesitate for a second to recommend Pescallo. Stop looking now and book, you will not regret it. This has been one of our loveliest holidays to date. Oh and definitely no rats!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 2 November 2012

hi everyone, i would like to suggest this amazing place to everybody.
if you're planning to go to the lake como you can't stay anywhere but here.
the apartments are brand new. the owner, Pietro, is an architect and you can see his very elegant touch everywhere. he was also very kind to us, that is so hard to find .
so thanks pietro. we'll be back soon.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Milano
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Second time at Pescallo Apartments and once again has been a wonderful and unique experience. I am shocked to read the review of maralinka from Surrey (UK), it seems that the lady has visited another place. My friends and I have lived both apartments and everything was perfect also this time. The owner, Pietro, reserved us the warmest welcome and he recommended some excellent restaurants where we had amazing dinners (all reachable via a beautiful walk). Pescallo Apartments is a unique place in the world, the value of your vacation here is totally priceless, this is really one of the best place I have ever seen in my life. I can recommend it to all people who want to feel at home on the shore of the most romantic lake ever

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank bicocchinaonesta
Tipperary, Ireland
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I stayed in the Pescallo Apartment number 2 with 4 friends in late July/early August this year.
Belaggio is a beautiful area with plenty to see and do.
The Pescallo apartments while tastefully decorated and pleasing to the eye initially, left quite a bit to be desired by the end of our week.
Two of the bedrooms are up in the loft with no windows and only a skylight, they are very cramped with very little wardrobe space. They were air conditioned which certainly helped somewhat. The bathrooms were very nice.
Unfortunately the downstairs living area was neither air conditioned or had a ceiling fan, so we had to leave the balcony door and windows open for some air. On our second night we had just finished our evening meal when a rat appeared down the chimney. Myself and the 2 other ladies fled upstairs while the men chased it out. The following day we closed up the chimney but during the evening our unwelcome visitor arrived again through the balcony door.
Therefore for the duration of our holiday we had to keep the windows and door shut leaving us somewhat in a sauna and very uncomfortable.
The owner Pietro who seems a very nice man, and speaks good English, called to us the night before we went home. We filled him in on our experiences and misgivings and advised him to get air con or a ceiling fan and also to remove the Virginia creeper that adorned the whole building. His response was that the weather was unusually hot and he couldn’t remove the creeper as it was a listed building as such. Ok that is fair enough but a ceiling fan please??!!
My second concern is the passageway from Pescallo to Belaggio. One has to climb up very steep cobbled steps to get to Belaggio, as there are no shops in Pescallo this was a daily task. The precipitous climb takes about 15 – 20 minutes with plenty lizards for company. On reaching the top we were breathless and struggling. Definitely not a place for the elderly or infirm.
Another niggle I had was we were not allowed to wash our clothes or dry them in the apartment. If we needed our clothes laundered they supplied a service at €7 per wash + €5 to dry.
All things said we made the most of our week as the apartment had cost €3,300.00 but definitely would not return to Pescallo Apartments if visiting the lake again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank maralinka
pietrocastagna, Proprietario at Pescallo Apartments, responded to this review, 27 October 2012
I am very sad for this review
and I did not understand very much that the customer writes
especially the fact that I have to remove the ivy from home!
but I respect every opinion.
Luckily there are 23 other
with excellent rating
read reviews:
Pescallo Apartament 1
Pescallo Apartament 2
Pescallo Apartaments

Pietro
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Perfect location, wonderful accommodation, lovely host. I could not fault anything about Pescallo apartment No. 1.

Close enough to Bellagio to enjoy all it has to offer, but without the throngs of tourists. The apartment was like a home away from home. Beautiful and tasteful decor and all mod cons, including floor heating and WiFi. The apartment was kept spotless everyday and Pietro went out of his way to be helpful.

Would not stay anywhere else in the Bellagio region - highly, highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2012