“Unbelievable”

Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Bellagio
chicago, il
“Unbelievable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

This was by far the best hotel on my trip. It was originally a palace and you feel like you're in a palace when you stay there. Just beautiful. I did not use the spa but I did go to the gym one day. It was very good for a hotel gym, although it was in another building behind the hotel. The views from my windows were breathtaking.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
ghvs, Manager at Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni, responded to this review, 8 June 2013
Thank you for coming, staying and believing in what Villa Serbelloni has to offer to its clientele.
Arrivederci !!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Stayed very recently. The weather was dreadful for most of the time. Fortunately GHVS lend out sturdy umbrellas as these were needed! The hotel was excellent, friendly service and lovely rooms. We didn't book a lake view but still got a balcony from which you could see the lake sideways on. The hotel is traditional, but I wouldn't say stuffy. We wanted somewhere up market and this certainly was. We used the gym when the weather was particularly awful, and that was well equipped.
Only real criticism was the bar prices, 15 euros for a glass of prosecco, but you do expect to pay more in hotel bars, especially hotels of this quality. There are lots of cheaper places to eat and drink in Bellagio so you're not held captive to the hotel prices in any event. I would certainly return to GHVS.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
ghvs, Manager at Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni, responded to this review, 7 June 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor!
I am glad that, in spite of the weather, you had a great time at the Serbelloni and made good use of the amenities we provide.
I look forward to welcome you back in Bellagio

Arrivederci!!!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

We only had one night in Bellagio, and decided to stay at the Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni when we passed it on a boat ride on the lake. We had been staying in Tremezzo for the early part of our vacation. We took a private boat when we arrived because the ferry was on strike that day. We had no one to help us with our luggage and getting to the lobby from the private dock was very confusing. My husband went to get help and finally this man came, he did not greet me, he just grabbed my luggage and walked off. We were brought to our room, which was huge but very out dated. We felt like we were in a haunted castle. Do not get me wrong, this hotel is gorgeous, the historic feel of it was amazing, However, for the price, I feel the rooms at least should have been updated, I also felt like the service was very unfriendly. The piano player at night was wonderful. The pool and diving board was great, The lake diving board was really neat, if you are brave enough to swim out there. Also, the breakfast was excellent. I thought the hotel was really cool, it is obvious why it is expensive. However, I wish we were treated a little better for spending around 800 euros for the night.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback.
To arrive by private boat to the hotel is certainly a great experience. Perhaps had your driver warned us of your imminent arrival we would have had someone waiting for you at our private pier. When advised we do collect the bags from our pier and from the public ferry in town. Despite of the first experience I understand that you have enjoyed most of the Hotel services.
The style of the Hotel is traditional and we strive to keep it as such although it may not meet everyone’s expectations.
In any case …. Arrivederci!!!!
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

Barely. The location alone would make this a gem, everything else about it makes it a diamond.
Perfect husband and I made this reservation with trepidation, after reading some of the reviews. Words like "old", "tired", and "stuffy", gave us pause. We are SO glad we didn't let that sway us. This is an incredible, lovely, gracious, and utterly gorgeous old European hotel. If you want minimalism and sushi- then head to the "W" in Dallas. If you want to experience life as it used to be-with all the amentites- go here.
The staff were wonderful, not snobby at all, Hint: treat them like you want them to treat you. If you act reserved- they may treat you that way. Their goal is to make YOU comfortable. Our room did have traditional furniture- but it was spotlessly clean, and not in disrepair. Bathroom was luxurious. View of the lake and Alps- unforgettable!
Breakfast was delicious, ate dinnner elswhere due to daily activities, but finished each day in the enourmous lounge area with wine, while listening to a tuxeo clad string quartet. Old world grace and luxury.Two conclusions: I was born too late, and we'll be back.

Room Tip: Get a lake view room, the higher- the better.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your post.
I am glad you liked the style of the Hotel. If you were looking for a design or modern hotel then definitely you would have been in the wrong place.
We are known for our tradition and history and we are proud to maintain certain standards.
Thank you for supporting us!!

Arrivederci!!
Bristow, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

We were fortunate to stay 3 nights last week at GH Villa Serbelloni. What a spectacular setting and comfort and enjoyment to match. First of all, we asked about the price to upgrade to a lakeview room, and the lovely woman at reception gave one to us at no additional cost. We were thrilled and loved looking out at the lake day and night time. The room was very comfortable, the beds were great and that pretty floral duvet was so cozy. The bathroom was beautiful with separate tub and shower and separate water closet. There was twice a day towel service and there was turndown service with the nice linen cloth at the bedside for your feet. Each time we met any member of the hotel staff they said "Buon Giorno" with a smile!

The concierges were so helpful and friendly. My curling iron had burned out in Milan and I asked where I could find a store to purchase one. The concierge got on the phone and called several places and offered to get one for me in his village outside of Bellagio when he got off work that day. Every time we went by the desk we were greeted by all the staff. The breakfast was delicious and the same service applied to the dining room staff. They shook hands with us when we left the room on our first day, and by the third day, we felt they were our friends.

The lounge is a magnificent and comfortable room, and we could just sit there, look at the views or visit with friends. Every evening there is a 3 piece ensemble who played delightful light classical and easy listening music and it was a pleasure to be there.

We enjoyed every minute of our visit to the GH Villa Serbelloni and we love to visit again!

Room Tip: Room 202 is convenient to elevator and stairs.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank JNMarr
Thank you very much for your post.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and that you are keeping fond memories of property and staff service.
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
I hope to see you soon again
Arrivederci!!!!!
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

This is a lovely, luxurious, old school hotel in an ideal location in Bellagio. The service is friendly & attentive. We were upgraded to a spacious Junior Suite with excellent views. The room decor could use updating. (It looks either unfinished or that they took half the furnishings to put in other rooms). I would definitely expect better beds (twins shoved together) & showers (had to duck) in this price category.

The pool/beach is a real treat... amazing views. In addition, there are lovely gardens. Breakfast (included in some rates) is a nice continental buffet in a palatial & lovely room.

We didn't go with kids, but it seemed relatively kid friendly. In addition to the outdoor pool, there is a heated indoor pool with mini waterslide. There is also a small playground in the most gorgeous location I have ever seen for a playground. (no baby swings though) If my kids were with me, I definitely would have been out there with them enjoying a glass of prosecco!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
ghvs, Manager at Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni, responded to this review, 19 May 2013
Thank you very much for your post and for the comments on the location and services.
When staying at the Hotel breakfast is always included and yes, we are children friendly.
I hope to see you this summer with the rest of the family.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

Definitely a place to visit, even if you're not staying. Plenty of old school charm, but hotel still looks up to date. Dining rooms are nicely decorated & have murals on the ceilings. Truly awe inspiring.

As our car pulled up (arranged by the hotel), we were greeted by name by the concierge. Truly personalised & warm. A waiter brought us a half bottle of sparkling wine & strawberries upon check in. Nice touch.

Our lake view room was a little small but still very acceptable. Furniture is old & rustic but very clean, very suited to the hotel. Bathroom is nice & modern with separate shower & bath. Shower is again a little small; I suppose bigger sized people can use the bath tub. The only 2 gripes I have are that the double bed was actually 2 single beds pushed together, and wifi costs 7 Euros per device (per day I think). Really, for a property of this calibre, they should just bump up the price another 10 or 20 Euros & include wifi. At 412 Euros for our room, a couple of buck more wouldn't matter. Wifi reception was fair in the room, but in other places you can get disconnected. I suppose this isn't a place for the business traveler, so this shouldn't matter at all.

We had dinner at Mistral, their one Michelin star restaurant. Service is fantastic! Food quite decent (pricey too, as you'd expect, but one who dines here wouldn't complain). We spent over 300 Euros for 2 including a cheap bottle of wine.

Hotel has indoor & outdoor pools, nice gardens and is in the heart of Bellagio town (I think). Everything is within walking distance. Our only regret is that we didn't stay longer; we only spent a night here after 2 nights in Villa Principe Leopoldo in Lugano. Had we known what was waiting for us in Villa Serbelloni (and the terrible service in Villa Principe Leopoldo, a hotel of equal calibre & pricier), we would have spent all 3 nights in Bellagio instead.

We will definitely return!!!

Room Tip: Pay for a lake view room if you can afford it!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your post and for your positive comments about the service, restaurant and property.
Our Hotel opened back in 1873 and we are trying to preserve, for what is possible the old world charm.
As you say the bathrooms are modern with separate shower and the showers we use are the standard cm 90x90 which fit all the regular size people. Not all of our clients travel as a couple therefore rooms are equipped either with twin beds or king size beds, hence the need to push beds together.
Wifi antennas are positioned a bit everywhere. To improve the service more antennas are being added as needed.
I will pass on your comment about the service to our restaurant manager.
I look forward to seeing you soon in Bellagio
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bellagio
Hotel Belvedere Bellagio
#6 of 16 in Bellagio
Hotel La Perla
Hotel La Perla
#1 of 8 in Tremezzina

Been to Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni? Share your experiences!