“Great place- magical, but watch the extras!”

Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Bellagio
UK
“Great place- magical, but watch the extras!”
Reviewed 18 September 2008

My wife and I stayed here on a trip Bellagio for a couple of days on a whim. It was fantasic! A great room with a view of the lake, a great gym and fantastic surroundings. You could spend all your time here and never go on the lake. Its a funny place though- full of old style rich- some being wheeled about in wheel chairs etc, but great for people watching! Most of the fellow guests seemed fairly stuffy- I had visible tattoos on show at breakfast and most of the oldies were not impressed and thought I was some sort of roughian! The major gripe I had with the place was that they charge for EVERYTHING big time. Internet access was 10 euros (why?- you have just paid £400 for the room!), drinks in the lounge of 15 euros minimum- I don't drink so it hurt a bit paying that for lemonade. I am in no way a poor man but I thought this took the mickey a little bit. I did not have a jacket- so could not dine on the terrace- but I did eat in the Mistral Restaurant- go for the molecular menu- excellent!

All in all a magical stay- worth the cash for people watching alone- but they took the mickey with the prices for extras. My advice would be to make up for it be taking all the shampoo and soap you can find with you!!

• Liked — Position
  • Disliked — Prices of extras
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zotar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Polish first
Paris, France
Reviewed 5 August 2008

As soon as you get into the hotel, you can see how it is well decorated and how beautiful is the view over the lake. The rooms are spacious. There are several restaurants and they are very good. Also, the beach is nice and the breakfast is magnificent. (latte macchiato so good!) Everyone is helpful. The only thing that was disappointing is that you have to pay if you want to play tennis and you can rent rackets and only buy balls. That is too bad if you only want to play an hour.

• Liked — the view, the caffe latte macchiato
  • Disliked — no free wifi and tennis
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank gg309
kent
Reviewed 29 July 2008

Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni has just the ideal location, on the headland in the middle of Lake Como where the three branches of the lake meet.

We stayed there a week and had an Executive Room, which gave us a large bedroom with views over the lake in two directions, and every view of the lake is a stunner, and a stting room.

We have seen inferior decor to that in the hotel lounge and the breakfast room in palaces, just superb.

Breakfasts were great. Dinners in the Terrace Restaurant were classy but with costs to match. Were they worth the money? Well, only maybe. And it was not impressive to be served a bottle of corked wine listed at USD 160 and to be told by the sommelier that what I could smell was the classic barolo nose. But the wine was changed for another bottle which was impeccable. Dinner outside at the Mistral Restaurant was a delight. But if the weather foces service to be inside, avoid the Mistral.

The hotel is in its own private park/garden yet within two or three minutes walk of bella, bella Bellagio and the ferry station to all parts of Lake Como. Thanks to the ferries a hire car would add nothing to your stay at Villa Serbelloni - our one from Avis stayed in the hotel garage all week.

Lots of good restaurants in Bellagio when you have tired of the the ones in the hotel.

Thank you to Villa Serbelloni for a hugely enjoyable visit.

• Liked — Nothing fell short of the best
  • Disliked — Having to leave at the end of our week
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 73david
Toronto
Reviewed 22 July 2008

Great Stay at Villa Serebelloni! Room had amazing view. The formal restaurant was amazing. Great service and food...Spotted Robert De Niro eating their one night. Casual restuarent also great...Breakfasts were delicious. Rooms elegant and simple. The pool scene was beautiful.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Harry1203
england
Reviewed 27 June 2008

On arrival you are stunned by the beautiful setting but soon come crashing down to earth when you check in to what has the feel of a psychiatric hospital. The young reception staff had little idea what they were doing and our 800 euro a night deluxe room was tatty and faded. The bathroom had all the character of an operating theatre.
the opulence of the breakfast room masked the shameful food on offer.. I object to having to pay extra for fresh fruit juice, omlettes etc at that price. The platters of meat and fish were left uncovered and I spotted a fly crawling on the ham.

The ratio of staff to guests was high and the concierge was excellent - we wanted to take him home. The pool has a lovely setting and Bellagio is a pretty village but this hotel was outragiously expensive. They need someone to go in there and show them how a deluxe hotel should be professionally run. The hotel we stayed at on Lake Maggiore the previous week left hand made truffles and a weather forecast on your bed as part of turn down service. little touches like this cost the hotel very little but set them appart in the deluxe market.

• Liked — view and concierge service
  • Disliked — outragiously expensive and very disappointing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank stelbell
London
Reviewed 29 May 2008

Very pleasant 5 days spent. Although it is extremely expensive. 10 € for 50 minutes to use their computer and15€ for an american coffee and a cheese and ham toasted sandwich by the pool. The concierge were excellent and as helpful as you would expect . The service in the Terrace restaurant was unbelievable -theatrical and almost comical. Overall a hit but at a price.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank Simon0965
Greenport, New York
Reviewed 12 February 2008

I booked this hotel and thought that through their professionalism in their emails that all would go well. I was two weeks into my France and Italy vacation when I learned at 2:00am that I had a death in the family. I immediately called all my hotels and canceled the rest of my trip. The person I spoke to at the front desk of the Villa Serbelloni assured me that canceling my reservation for two nights (four days before I was to check in) would be fine. I called back at 8:00 in the morning to speak to the manager and was denied speaking to him. Stefania, the front desk person said I would be charged the $350 USD because they were enforcing the 14 day advance notice cancellation policy. I explained about the death in my family, offered her the chance to speak to the manager at the hotel I was at who was helping me with my reservatons home. They would not hear of it.

It was in equvalent of our American Memorial Day weekend and she said she may be able to re-sell the room. She asked me to call back at 4:00 to check in. I called at 4:00 and she had already left "hours ago" I was told. I again asked for the manager, he would not speak to me. I called Stefania again the next morning and she said she did not sell the room. I told her I was on standby to fly out of Rome that night (from Florence). She was going to charge me for the night's stay no matter what. The manager was standing next to her and suggested I travel the 375 kilometers to the hotel, stay the night and then travel back down to Rome the 655 kilometers ( 6 1/2 hour ride) to the airport. She said it was only $350, no big deal. I said if it's no big deal, you should let it go. They would not.

I am of Italian decent. I am the Vice President of an Italian foundation here in the US and I support Italian businesses as much as I can from here. It is the first time in all of my dealings with anyone from Italy that I could say that they were unprofessional, unfriendly, arrogant and rude.

I would never recommend this hotel to anyone, in fact I would dissuade anyone from making a reservation or having any dealings with them in the future.

Stayed April 2007
27 Thank Christineabella
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bellagio
Hotel Belvedere Bellagio
#1 of 6 in Varenna
Hotel Bellagio
Hotel Bellagio
#6 of 16 in Bellagio

Been to Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni? Share your experiences!