“Old Grand Hotel”

Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Bellagio
Zurich, Switzerland
“Old Grand Hotel”
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Tradition and history. This hotel didn't disappoint us.

The staff is gorgeous and friendly. We reduced an upgrade to a lake view room which was amazing.

It is a typical old grand Italian hotel: you have to take it as it is. This means some old fashioned furnitures. The elevator is ugly and cold. The indoor pool is a joke, only children might like it. In the hallway on the third floor there was a terrible sofa. Sorry to mention it, but it was like getting salt into our eyes ;-)

The bathrooms are very old and unglamourous. However, very clean and with nice amenities. The room was also old, but very nice, clean and cozy.

The Mistral Restaurant gave us one of the most beautiful (and expensive) dinners of our life. With life music orchestra every evening.

The pool is too cold. But very big. We were surprised to see many families and (too) many children. A bit too lively for relax seeking guests. Beach/pool area too crowded, but nice. The towels of the beach and pool area are a joke for a 5 stars hotel.

It was a very nice stay: travelling in the past, with sometimes some old things, but wonderful

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pituttraveller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

I spent 3 amazing nights here and felt like royalty. The hotel building is old world charm and the surrounding gardens are well kept and manicured.
Be mindful that if you drive there, the narrow street leading to the hotel is a pedestrian street and very narrow! I had a leased Peugeot 508 car and it was very scary and harrowing driving along the coastal road and the road lead into the hotel.
Other than that, when you arrive, all that stressful driving is alleviated by the amazing lake views and pool side bar and restaurant.
I would highly recommend a lake view room. I had room 411, and it was amazing to wake up to a stunning lake view. The weather was not great at the time I was there, but it was still beautiful.
The toiletries and amenities provided in the bathroom was high quality and replaced constantly in the morning and I think sometimes at night when they turn your bed for you. I loved the bed and the floral duvet they had on the bed. It just added to the perfect room. I had a couch and sitting area, fridge and air con.
There is a gym and I was keen to use it but never had the time! It is managed by Paulo and another PT. I had the pleasure of meeting Paulo who took the walking tour organised by the hotel. I would highly recommend this 2 hour walking tour. The other two people booked in did not show up and I have to say I was quite pleased with that as I pretty much got a one to one guide to the beautiful lake. Paulo was most knowledgeable, engaging and took me around at my pace (fast) but he also went the little extra with local insights and tips. From what I could tell, he is also a very passionate personal trainer so I would recommend him as a PT if you use the gym.
The beauty and spa is also top class and I had one of the best deep tissue massages by Morelo and facial by Gabrielle. The whole beauty area is calming and relaxing and well managed. The skin care products are superb quality.
Breakfast was a pleasure in the grand ballroom with a variety of cereals, muesli, gluten free options, fruits, yoghurt, breads, and a wide selection of eggs and cold cut meats and fish that Europeans love for their breakfast. You could request soft boiled or poached eggs. You could spend 2 hours eating breakfast!
The restaurant is also fantastic. I did not dine at the Michelin star restaurant but the other more casual one La Golleta (spelling and I cannot remember exactly the name). The seafood that I had was superb. Service was attentive and great.
Overall the staff were all very helpful and attentive and the concierge desk was helpful although sometimes I felt one of them in particular had a very blunt dismissive manner.
I would love to come back here one day and would highly recommend GHVS to anyone who wanted a bit of luxury and old world charm. Top class!

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank groovychickMelbourne
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Beautiful gardens, blue pool overlooking the lake and mountains, magnificent indoor lounge areas and a dinner restuarent with a view to forever remember make this a very special hotel to which those in the know return year after year.

Grand Villa Serbelloni certainly delivers on its name in style and service but the child friendly staff and environment make for a very relaxing holiday on the lake. Days filled with poolside fun, short shopping expeditions into Bellagio and evenings enjoying post dinner drinks listening to an amazing selection of music provided by the live "Strauss Band" shed a years worth of stress in a few days. We will return again next year, already booked.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

What's not to like about this hotel! It is in a stunning location with fantastic views, the staff are welcoming and knowledgeable and the food is great.
Our baby was a bit loud but the staff loved him so we didn't feel too uncomfortable atrial times.
My only one quibble is some of the prices - €10 for a small beer and €7 for a coke seems like a rip off, but I suppose the amount of money it costs to stay there people don't notice it.

Stayed August 2014
Derby
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed for four nights in July 2014 and wish we could have stayed for longer. The hotel is just like a stately home with beautiful carved ceilings and walls in the main rooms. Our bedroom was very spacious with a separate sitting room and very large bathroom with separate WC and bidet. A complimentary bottle of champagne and strawberries were brought to us within minutes of our arrival.
We had a wonderful view across Lake Como.
We could not fault the food or the service in any way. The staff were delightful as was everything about the hotel and the resort. I can't wait to return.
The hotel is expensive but worth every euro!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brenda A
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

This is truly a hotel worthy of its 5 star rating. The hotel is spectacular from the perfectly manicured gardens to delicious Italian cuisine by the pool.

The staff were very pleasant and made our time here very enjoyable.

Looking out over the pool to the lake was picture perfect.

I can't wait to come visit again.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Lara_richie
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I have just spent a week- end at the Villa Serbelloni in Bellagio.It was my second visit to this hotel and I would highly recommend it.It is a well run grand Italian hotel.The position is great and it is a pleasure to wake up and look out of the window at Lake Como.My only disappointment is that it is not possible to have breakfast outside.

Room Tip: Lower floor