“Great views, but surly staff”
Review of La Pergola

La Pergola
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Bellagio
Reviewed 6 July 2012 via mobile

Amazing views of Lake Como from our room. Breakfast daily overlooking the lake, watching duck families! Downhill from the Villa Serrabologna. Recommend speaking Italian, otherwise you may get blank looks. Try for lake view room.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank BadJulie

Reviewed 1 July 2012

We walked through Bellagio and decided to walk over the hill to the Pescallo area for a different view of the lake. We had heard about this restaurant at La Pergola and gave it a try. We arrived about 12:10pm. We were told very brusquely that they were not serving until 12;30pm. We noticed that there was already a group sitting at a table, so we asked if we could just go ahead and sit down. We were "allowed" to do so. As soon as we did, the serving staff (some but not all nicer than the manager) took our drink, and then food order, all before 12:30pm. We had a lovely view of the lake that made up for the uninterested staff. The food was good but not worth being treated rudely. It was also more expensive than it was worth.
We wouldn't go here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank travelinjep
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Despite finding reviews useful, I never have felt the urge to post one myself... until now.
I am always the optimist when i read reviews and thought that this place couldn't have been as bad as people were making out the service to be.

Unfortunately Livio Gatti, the guy who appears to run the show at La Pergola, takes the prize as the rudest hotelier I've ever come across. Second to none.

We were so excited about our trip to Bellagio but the moment we arrived that faded somewhat. Livio couldn't manage a smile for us on arrival and from there things didn't improve, Livio's personality seems to be permanently set to sullen. We thought this might be because we are native English speakers but had tred our very best to open conversation in our very limited Italian... Regardless, I don't think that when I'm on holiday I should have to worry so much about pandering to the hotelier's sensitivities - at the end of the day this guy's job entails making me feel relaxed and when I was around him I was anything but.
Livio's sullen attitude seems to permeate through the hotel.
His wife Lara, however, worked busily at breakfast and was very pleasant, breakfast was simple but nice and we really enjoyed sitting out over the water in the sun..

We ended up filling our days away from the hotel just so that we didn't have to deal with dealing with the attitude.

Another thing that really irked me was the room we were given. I reserved a Superior Lake View room, as far as I'm aware this is the top room in the hotel. Unfortunately our room, Room 5, was nice enough inside but wasn't nearly the description on the packet. We had a great view of the carpark but not so much the lake until we went out on to our balcony. I didn't think that this was at all acceptable but I, and my partner more to the point, were in no mood to have to discuss this matter with Livio. We left feeling quite cheated in respect of our room.

We loved the little town of Pescallo though and Bellagio is truly beautiful. We had no problem with the steps to Pescallo, it was a nice bit of exercise and a really beautiful walk. Steps are something that you just need to expect in Italy and, in the case of Pescallo, provide a welcome barrier to entry to the masses in Bellagio and those sensitive souls who can't handle a little hike.

In summary, the locals, the view, the food in Pescallo/Bellagio is amazing however, if/when we return I will steer well clear of Livio at La Pergola.

Room Tip: If you book a Superior Lake View room specifically request not one at the back of the building (e.g...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Caerus7
Reviewed 14 May 2012

We stayed here 8 years ago and it was bliss. The 'daughter-in-law' was very brusque but the rest of the staff, the old lady etc were lovely. The setting is magnificent, and just sitting on the terrace under the vines in summer is heaven itself, and we had to drag ourselves out in the morning as it was so tempting to just sit there all day. It is a great pity that the grumpiness is still evident, some local people we befriended were horrified and embarrassed that the welcome wasn't always first class. We've been back since, not to stay, but for drinks/coffee and it has always been fine for that. Having said that our visits are memorable because of the general fabulousness of the area.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Italianfoody
Reviewed 29 October 2011

We are sitting at the hotel's restaurant as I write this critique. After travelling through France for two weeks and three nights on Lake Maggiore we have had the most fantastic culinary experiences one could ask for. Then we arrived here!
The inititial welcome we received from the senior lady was acceptable but nothing exciting, but from there it got worse. I requested a room with a view but was abruptly reminded that my Internet booking was for a cheap room and if we wanted a room with a lake view we'd have to extra. This was only a request and I didn't need a lecture!
Our dinner experience was as bad as it gets! If you ever decide to stay here and put up with the rudeness, don't eat here - unless your happy with bad service and even worse food.

If you don't believe me take a closer look at the other negative reviews - like we should have.

DA & JA
Bendigo Aust

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank David A
Reviewed 28 October 2011

Travel is what you make it and for our money this place is absolutely special. Rooms right on and overlooking the lake in a fantastic spot. Easy parking, quiet and easy to get to. The walk over to Bellagio is over the hill, winding up and down some paths, pretty and easy, and coming back feels like coming home. If you don't like beauty, good food, great views and somewhere special, hey don't go. But our advise is you will love it. We loved the family, Granny and everyone was nice, and no they don't speak a lot of English but really they have enough.... and when it comes to it, we're in Italy, learn some Italian and they will respond... and if they don't, don't take offense, smile, enjoy, be part of the family. The food is good, we loved the fish and tried local dishes, as you should. And drink it up, life doesn't get much better. Really, don't give the "terrible service", or "rude" comments too much room because in Italy it is all about family. For goodness sake introduce yourself, especially to Nona, share a cigarette, feed the ducks, stroke the cats, have a coffee, relax, unwind and spare a thought for the family.... treat them like family and they'll feed you like family.... what could be better.

Room Tip: Lake view or side lake view, but even at the back is fine if they have nothing else.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2011

I stayed here about 12 years ago and thought it was a great place- great location, views of lake, easy parking, reasonable cost, good food, convenient and yes the owners aren't the friendliest but who cares with all the other advantages. Staying there this time was much the same although the younger family members are now running the hotel. They are helpful when asked and it's quite humorous to read everyone's comments about their "unfriendly" manner. We did find a young girl (who I don't think was a family member) delightful to deal with and she very helpful and friendly.
I did find the hike over the hill to Bellagio a lot more difficult, age I suppose, but the hotel people rang us a taxi which was great and only 10 euro between 3 of us. Well worth it!!
Don't let the "unfriendly" comments put you off!!!

Room Tip: The rooms with a view of the lake are the best.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends