“Lovely hotel in a beautiful town..........”
Review of Hotel Florence

Hotel Florence
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Bellagio
North Yorkshire
“Lovely hotel in a beautiful town..........”
Reviewed 27 August 2011

We had two nights here, the area is beautiful and Bellagio has some great restaurants. Room was good with a view over a courtyard garden, number 12 little bit noisy from the kitchen below but we just kept the windows shut, no aircon but they do provide a fan. Left for an early flight so the hotel provided a breakfast the night before, which was welcome at 5 in the morning. They had good suggestions on what to see in the two days we were there.

Room Tip: View of lake if you can afford it.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank We-love-travelling-7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York
Reviewed 25 August 2011

I have written many reviews mostly all positive but I cannot do that for this hotel. Now let me preface this with saying it was clean and in a great location. For starters the staff from the bell hop to the chamber maid made you feel like they were doing you a favor. They were not rude but they were far from pleasant and helpful. Next the breakfast is the pits, I mean I have traveled all over the world and this is the worst. The rooms were nice but the bathrooms were pitifully small and the showers were never hot and if they were it went from scalding to ice cold. I would not recommend you stay at this hotel unless their is no other place to stay.

Room Tip: A shower that works
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank mfg7102
basingstoke
Reviewed 21 August 2011

I really wanted to not say anything negative about this hotel at all, because I did truly love it. But to be absolutely honest there were a couple of small points, that did not ruin my holiday, that I knew about before and were fine really but just take it a degree away from being perfect.
Having read a review saying that room 12 was to be avoided, I was concerned when we were lead to room 12!! There was no air conditioning, which we were told about when we booked. There was a (very quiet) fan which we kept on at night, which was great, not as good as air con but made the room much more comfortable.
Another "issue" (?) with room 12 is that it is one of the rooms with a bath with a hand held shower over. I showered twice a day. I knelt in the bath, not really a problem.
The room is quite dim and I wondered about doing my make up, so I took a small mirror with me, which I found hung over the latch of the french doors perfectly, giving me enough light to do my make up. This worked really well until I dropped my mascara wand over the railings!! :-))
But they are the only possible negative points and they were not a problem for me. I would stay in room 12 again!! It is a beautiful room.
The hotel itself is just gorgeous, I think we picked the best hotel for position. So convenient for the ferry and the views are just spectacular whether just sitting outside having a prosecco or if you treat yourself in the fabulous restaurant. Book early so you can have a lakeside table. The greatest view I've ever had for dinner. (and 10% discount for cash)
The staff were all so friendly and helpful. Good breakfast. Spotlessly clean and so charming.
It really was just a degree away from perfect.

Room Tip: Obviously lakeview and air con would be great, but I didn't have them and still loved it!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pebblecox
Reviewed 18 August 2011

We stayed at Hotel Florence for 3 nights in August. Hotel was in a great spot, we were on the 4 th floor with side view of the lake. Great value a minute walk to the ferry, staff were mostly friendly. Breakfast was lovely, restaurant over the road was great views, food average, bar staff were very good. Down side to this hotel was hand held showers over bath and no air-conditioning which was mentioned when we booked. Would stay here again, but if we stayed longer than 3 days would find a hotel with a decent shower, oh and the pillows were flat and rock hard !!! Hotel could invest in some decent pillows.

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank Fivestarbetty1
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 8 August 2011

We stayed in room 310 and had the best view of Lake Como. The staff as wonderfully nice and even provided me with a "real" blowdryer versus the hotel furnished one. Each room is decorated uniquely. The hotel's restaurant is probably the best in Bellagio and the complimentary breakfast was so impressive that we didnt even need lunch. We're already planning our trip back!

Room Tip: Ask for a water view room, it's worth the slight upcharge
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jennifer R
Paramus, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 August 2011

It was difficult finding a triple room for our stay in Bellagio for 2 nights. The only hotel that I could find availability was the Hotel Florence and being that it got such high reviews and the photos looked so lovely, I decided to go ahead and reserve it.

Unfortunately, the room that I booked didn't have air-conditioning and that was made clear on my reservation. This I thought would have been a problem, but that was not the case. The nights were cool and with the french doors open we had a nice breeze. Our room number was 12 and this is the room to avoid. The room itself was pretty with some nice antique furnishings, however this room was situated on the side of the building. with no view at all. In the early morning you could hear the wait staff from breakfast making capucchino and rattling of dishes, pots and pans. Our room door had a knob that I wasn't sure was going to stay attached to thedoor.....not a very safe feeling.

Now for the best part . After we checked into our room we noticed that our bathroom didn't have a shower head, but rather a hand held shower head. When we left for dinner that night we decided to ask at the front desk what the story was with that.....did all the rooms have hand held shower heads? The young man working at the front desk told us that all the rooms in the hotel were like this. That the hotel was 200 years old and that it was part of the Italian culture. That we shouldn't expect to have here what we have at home. He also said that all hotels in Europe are like this. Funny thing is, this was the end of our 2 week stay in Italy and this was the only hotel we stayed at that had a hand held shower. And we have traveled in other parts of Europe and never encoutered this. On this trip we also visited Siena and we also stayed at a 200 year old hotel with a regular shower head. We read here on Tripadvisor another review where a guest complained about the same thing and we also saw as maids were cleaning rooms that other rooms had regular showers. We were only there for 2 nights so it wasn't a big deal. But the fact that an employee would lie to a guest and make us feel like we were some spoiled guests was upsetting. Sorry, but this should have been indicated on my booking reservation just like the no air conditioning was indicated. This young man made it sound like the Hotel Florence is preserved like it was 200 years ago. So then why offer internet access in the lobby and have a flat screen tv in the room and a blow dryer in the bathroom? Probably, to make your guests comfortable. So Hotel Florence, install normal shower heads so that your patrons don't have to sit in a bath tub holding a shower head over their heads like they are 3 years old. These were the instructions given to us by this young man at the front desk on how to use the hand held shower head. Afterall, the Hotel Florence is not a budget hotel with budget prices.

Now for the positives: The hotel is in a great location. Just a few hundred feet away from the ferry. Breakfast was very good and the waitress there was very kind and efficient. Their restaurant across the street right on Lake Como is lovely.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank mary1464
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2011

The Hotel Florence is fantastic. The staff are so very friendly and helpful.
We stayed here for a week for our honeymoon. We booked a junior suite which was a large room (must of been over 20' sq) with a further smaller day room/extra bed and also the bathroom was as big as some hotel rooms! Ive stayed in. The view of the lake from our room was magical and I would strongly recommend a room with a view.The decor was freshly done. Not a mark or blemish anywhere. But this was also the same throughout the hotel.The breakfast room was lovely, with very happy staff.
The restaurant on the other size of the road by the lake was perfect. Again the staff were very friendly and helpful.
The hotels location on the other side of the road from the lake was perfect. The boat station was 1 minute walk which was ideal and noise wise nothing was a problem.
Bellagio is a beautiful town, with lots of gorgeous shops and cafes/restaurants.
The hotel arranged a car to pick us up from the airport which was a brilliant service. The last few miles are very windy though!
The 10% discount for cash settlement is a bargain as it includes retaurant bills as well. If you ever consider travellers cheques then dont! No where in Bellagio accepts them and they really are not worth the paper they are written on there!
My only concern with the hotel was that is no air con, but this wasnt an issue due to the big french doors we opened to let the fresh lake breeze in.
We will definately return to Bellagio and the Hotel Florence

Room Tip: Book a room with a view
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple