“It's old, it's lovely and it is SO Italy!”
Review of Hotel Florence

Hotel Florence
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Bellagio
Healdsburg, California
“It's old, it's lovely and it is SO Italy!”
Reviewed 16 September 2011

We stayed here again in May of this year, I think our 4th time, and although it gets older it just gets better. Younger members of the family seem to be around a lot now and they speak perfect English, and seem to know what you might like depending on where you are from. The hotel is located overlooking the lake, just a short walk to the ferries, parking is another issue but you can pull up and unload all your things and then park and walk back. The rooms are beautifully decorated with antiques, the bathrooms spacious and clean as a whistle. It is quiet, the bar is fun and although we have never eaten dinner there, it is popular. The breakfast included is typical of Italy and with a lot of choices, great staff and good American coffee! If you arrive late, turn right at the front door and walk up the hill until you come to a Pizza place on the corner to your left, can't remember the name of it but it was fabulous!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the lake! Some rooms have large shared balconies, but they go fast so book early...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Donna M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Korean first
Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed 13 September 2011

What a peaceful and beautiful view the Hotel Florence looks on. Our room was very large with a sitting area, separate small room with a second bed that we used for our luggage and a large bathroom. The family (owners) take personal care of you from the moment you arrive till your departure. The staff in the breakfast room and bar were very helpful and pleasant to talk with. We visited in late October and found this time of the year to be very relaxing in Bellagio. I highly recommend the Hotel Florence and the lovely rooms and service they offer.

Room Tip: A room on the from of the hotel with a view over lake Como are preferable. the lower rooms have terr...
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jhager
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Room 204 at the Florence Hotel, Air Conditioned, private Balcony one floor above lobby and street level opened onto the plaza overlooking sunset views of Lake Como and the Swiss Alps. Quiet at night, peaceful in the evenings and mornings.

Location perfect; steps away from the ferry, great restaurants within 2-3 city blocks. Suggest: Silvio , a nearby fish restaurant on the lake which provides a private car to / from city plaza.

Breakfast was great, good cappuccino, fruit and pastries every morning.

WiFi worked in room as it was located above the lobby.

No complaints.

Room Tip: Ask for Room 204. Room 204 at the Florence Hotel, Air Conditioned, private Balcony one floor above l...
1 Thank Nicholas B
New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 September 2011

We stayed for four nights at the Hotel Florence during August 2011. The hotel's location almost immediately opposite the ferry terminal was extremely convenient for getting around Lake Como and for strolling up and down the stepped alleyways that comprise much of the town of Bellagio.

The hotel building itself was tastefully decorated and atmospheric, a very pleasant change from a more typical corporate-feeling chain hotel. A comfortable lounge area on the first floor is provided for quietly sitting or reading, and a simple but good breakfast is provided in the ground floor restaurant each morning for guests. The hotel's restaurant, with a lovely scenic lakeside dining area, is among the best along the Bellagio lakeshore, and we had a very tasty and enjoyable meal there on the last night of our stay.

While the shower in our room was of the hand-held type as mentioned by some other reviewers, this wasn't really a major inconvenience during our stay. Also, although it was fairly hot weather during our stay in Lake Como, with the window shutters closed the room was pleasantly cool during the day, meaning that air conditioning was unnecessary.

The hotel staff was friendly and helpful, providing informative suggestions of places to go in the town at night. The hotel owner, Timothy, is part of the family that has run the Hotel Florence for several generations, and was particularly welcoming. In fact, he gave us a number of complimentary drinks in the lively hotel bar one evening simply because we were guests. Timothy is widely-traveled and speaks a good number of languages including fluent English.

In summary, I would say that the Hotel Florence was one of the most enjoyable hotel stays I've had for a long time, and I would strongly recommend the hotel to anyone looking for a place to stay in the picturesque little town of Bellagio.

1 Thank FPM1
North Yorkshire
Reviewed 27 August 2011

We had two nights here, the area is beautiful and Bellagio has some great restaurants. Room was good with a view over a courtyard garden, number 12 little bit noisy from the kitchen below but we just kept the windows shut, no aircon but they do provide a fan. Left for an early flight so the hotel provided a breakfast the night before, which was welcome at 5 in the morning. They had good suggestions on what to see in the two days we were there.

Room Tip: View of lake if you can afford it.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank We-love-travelling-7
New York
Reviewed 25 August 2011

I have written many reviews mostly all positive but I cannot do that for this hotel. Now let me preface this with saying it was clean and in a great location. For starters the staff from the bell hop to the chamber maid made you feel like they were doing you a favor. They were not rude but they were far from pleasant and helpful. Next the breakfast is the pits, I mean I have traveled all over the world and this is the worst. The rooms were nice but the bathrooms were pitifully small and the showers were never hot and if they were it went from scalding to ice cold. I would not recommend you stay at this hotel unless their is no other place to stay.

Room Tip: A shower that works
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank mfg7102
basingstoke
Reviewed 21 August 2011

I really wanted to not say anything negative about this hotel at all, because I did truly love it. But to be absolutely honest there were a couple of small points, that did not ruin my holiday, that I knew about before and were fine really but just take it a degree away from being perfect.
Having read a review saying that room 12 was to be avoided, I was concerned when we were lead to room 12!! There was no air conditioning, which we were told about when we booked. There was a (very quiet) fan which we kept on at night, which was great, not as good as air con but made the room much more comfortable.
Another "issue" (?) with room 12 is that it is one of the rooms with a bath with a hand held shower over. I showered twice a day. I knelt in the bath, not really a problem.
The room is quite dim and I wondered about doing my make up, so I took a small mirror with me, which I found hung over the latch of the french doors perfectly, giving me enough light to do my make up. This worked really well until I dropped my mascara wand over the railings!! :-))
But they are the only possible negative points and they were not a problem for me. I would stay in room 12 again!! It is a beautiful room.
The hotel itself is just gorgeous, I think we picked the best hotel for position. So convenient for the ferry and the views are just spectacular whether just sitting outside having a prosecco or if you treat yourself in the fabulous restaurant. Book early so you can have a lakeside table. The greatest view I've ever had for dinner. (and 10% discount for cash)
The staff were all so friendly and helpful. Good breakfast. Spotlessly clean and so charming.
It really was just a degree away from perfect.

Room Tip: Obviously lakeview and air con would be great, but I didn't have them and still loved it!
1 Thank pebblecox