“Old World Charm”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Florence
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Bellagio
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We stayed in room 1 and loved the terrace access, but weather was very hot on one day and we couldn't sit out there as too hot (an umbrella would have been useful). We enjoyed the breakfast, large room and location - the view down the lake was stunning.

Room Tip: Room 1 or 3 to get terrace
Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 June 2013

We really enjoyed our stay - we had a second floor rear room which overlooked a pretty courtyard but you can also see the village climbing up the hill to the church, so we didn't mind that we weren't facing the lake. The pillows are a bit hard and they don't have an alternative, and there is only a shower attachment in the bath but those two small negatives couldn't take away from the charm of the hotel. The decor is lovely with a lot of rustic antique furniture, and the lovely high beamed ceilings, shutters and soft lighting really made it feel romantic. The staff were friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was nice ( fresh fruit, croissants, bread, and scrambled egg and bacon) . We would definitely stay again.

Reviewed 23 June 2013

This hotel is a little gem within a most beautiful Italian Lakes town. The staff are exceptional and greet you like old and valued friends, nothing is too much trouble. We enjoyed a weeks stay in a 4th floor balcony room with a stunning view of Lake Como. The town of Bellagio is a very popular location, which boasts an excellent ferry service that supports visits to any of the other lakeside towns, I can recommend Varenna and Tremezzo (if only for the Villa Balbianello).
There is free WiFi in the hotel, although we were warned the signal was sometimes weak, we had very little trouble using it.
The spa was intimate but very good, large jacuzzi, steam and sauna. You need to book in advance but we had it for the full afternoon to ourselves and it was pure luxury, with a delightful view onto their private garden.
We booked this holiday without the need for a travel agent and have to say what a good experience it turned out to be, taxi transfer organised through the hotel was very efficient. Surprisingly for this day and age, no deposits were required, which made us nervous initially, but we needn't have worried - and a 10% reduction for paying cash when we finally checked out! What more can you ask for? A really good find and to be recommended for anyone who wants a genuine Italian experience in a truly charming and welcoming family run hotel.

2  Thank Michelle S
Reviewed 20 June 2013

If you stay here be sure to bring your gas mask! We spent two horrible nights in room 4. The dank sewer order in this room was sickening. While taking a bath, I noticed an air deodorizer hidden under the radiator. Evidently this is an on going problem in this room.
The decor is tired and the room is tiny. However the terrace overlooking the lake is fabulous! The young lady at the desk was always very helpful and gave us good touring suggestions.
This was the worst experience of our 16 day trip throughout Italy.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay in room 4.
4  Thank baybay03
Reviewed 17 June 2013

This hotel has a spectacular patio/deck for rooms 1 & 3 that cannot be beaten. The rooms are extremely comfortable and large. The breakfast is very good. And, to top it all off the service is extraordinary. Paula at the front desk was always available to provide assistance with a smile and some very good advice. And, because we left before breakfast was served on our final day they arranged for a special snack and breakfast in the bar.

I highly recommend this hotel while in Bellagio and also suggest you extend your stay because the city, the lake and the hotel are all so special. Cannot wait to return and stay longer.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 June 2013

When I read tripadvisor reveiws, I usually discount the "best" as probably family of the hotel, and the worst reviews as ....people who are unreasonable, so I wonder as I write this, how to save other travelers from risking the extremely unpleasant....even "abusive" treatment we experienced here in what in any other town would be a place for student backpackers.....(and I was one of those a few decades ago)
The owner has the worst attitude of any hotelier I've encountered in over 20 countries. From Malaysia, through Venezuela, Switzerland, Iceland and many other locations this man who inherited the hotel with his cousins from their grandfather behaves as if he could care less....and indeed that's what he said. RUDE RUDE RUDE.
But first let me tell you about the rooms. I have some pictures, which I will upload later. This place was beautifully decorated.....maybe.....a few decades ago, perhaps 1960. If you like lime green and pink stripes then this IS the place for you....as long as you don't mind next to zero water pressure, and 20 minutes to fill a bathtub (since the pressure couldn't make it to shower)
The elevator wouldn't pass a US inspection. It bounces at each floor....scary.
Why am I writing this ? Not because of poor water pressure, not because of disinfectant smelling hallways, nor rattly elevators, or linen that feels....rough, but because Kristin....the owner, a gaunt angry 40 year old who never "needed" a job couldn't care less (by his words and actions) about customers and...you DO have a choice.
100 feet away is a very nice place Hotel Du Lac The front staff is very kind and their restaurant is very good. So is Hotel Bellagio and the best: Serbelloni
Here's what happened, we read trip advisor and chose Hotel Florence because of the price and shortness of time in looking (our mistake) We called and made a reservation. We arrived and met Kristin at the desk. He was curt, but allowed that we look at the room. It SEEMED ok, we don't plan to spend a lot of time inside, we told him we'd stay 2 nights and he said fine. We hadn't checked the water pressure, since that's not usually a problem, and even though the other problems were real, we were tired.
At 11 that night, after waiting 20 minutes for a never to occur shower, the tub finally filled (now luke warm)
I called for towels (for the morning) and the night front desk person (only staff person in the place) came up with pillows.
He came back with blankets.
I went downstairs (used the stairs not the elevator) and asked about the water pressure. He said he didn't understand. I speak 3 languages (not italian) and this is the only place I had this problem
The next day we bumped into Kristin at the boat dock across the lake and he angrily asked why we hadn't asked for him......
He said he was there until 1 AM. I asked how I should have known that....since his staff person didn't tell me. He said he should have been told about the pressure. I didn't realize that was my responsibility. We called the hotel, from across the lake to ask if it had been fixed yet, and the woman who answered the phone.....said she had moved all of our things from our room to a different room !

I have never had that happen.
Kristen said that was a mistake. But I guess the word "sorry" isn't in his vocabulary
Can you imagine, after he confirmed (and admitted to us) that we would have 2 days there,....that he didn't communicate this to his staff ??? They took everything of ours from drawers, closets, even personal clothing we had laid out, bathroom items EVERYTHING, passports, purses, cameras and moved them across the hall.

I complained and he got very nasty.
We moved to Serbelloni and had a great experience, though Du Lac would have been the same price or less than his place "florence."

I am filing a complaint with American Express to not pay for the 1 miserable night we did spend there.

If I could write better, in order to make sure no one has a bad experience needlessly I would. AVOID Hotel Florence. You have a choice ! Many choices in fact.

9  Thank worldbasics
Reviewed 7 June 2013

This is a great hotel with stunning views over lake. Do try to book room 1-3 as you have an amazing terrace , that looks over the lake. Staff very helpfull and rooms very large. Only downside would be no glasses in room only a plastic cup. Also there restaurant is very good outside on the lake.

Room Tip: Choose rooms 1-3
1  Thank cheryl93