“Not good at all.”

Residence L'Ulivo
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Bellagio
“Not good at all.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

If you like being treated like scum by snooty people and enjoy loud crashing noises during the night along with paying for internet connection, stay here.
What you think you are getting: a good deal at a 5 star hotel.
What you actually get: A room above the hotels' gym and parking facility. Prepare to be treated like a hobo by the main hotel's staff. The only positives are that the apartment does have a good amount of space and that the room is cleaned daily.
The cons: don't expect a 5 star room. Apartment interior while spacious is dated and very basic. Shower is small with only 1/2 of a shower liner to prevent the bathroom from flooding (but printed with the Villa Serbelloni logo - just to remind you how you're getting screwed by not paying the ridiculous prices of the main hotel!) TV in living area is very old with only 7 channels (although we did not come to Italy to watch TV, but just below expectation for what we thought this hotel might be offering.) The weather in early May while we were here was decently warm during the day, however the heat was running and we could not turn it off. We had to keep the windows open at all times to keep the rooms cool enough. We tried to borrow an iron to smooth some wrinkles out of one of my husband's shirts (his luggage never made it to Italy) but our request was refused - we were asked to use the hotel's laundry service which charges 30 Euros per shirt. Outrageous! But as overall proof that this hotel is stuck in the past is the 7 Euro charge per wireless device for internet access. EVERY other hotel we stayed at in Italy, including a tiny family run B&B in a town of 2,000 people offered free internet access.
We would not even recommend staying at the Villa Serbelloni itself after walking through it. Yes, it is a neat old building, but it looks more like a museum than a comfortable place to stay. It is obvious that Villa Serbelloni is resting on its laurels of perhaps a past splendor.

Room Tip: If you want your visit to Bellagio to be something special, stay at a different hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TravelingCarrolls

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2013 via mobile

We had booked here for two nights with friends who booked another apartment the same as ours. It is early in the season and the weather cold, but there was no heating turned on in the building, and our friends had only a thin blanket each. We froze!!! The apartments are old and tired but clean. The internet was almost non-existant. We had to stand outside in one particular spot to get it at all. The lights were kept on outside all night, and as the curtains were very thin, we felt like there was no night!!! We also found in our apartment that the shower leaked, and water went all over the floor. We cancelled our second night and moved on!!!

Stayed April 2013
4 Thank Gita B
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2012

we booked this apartment because it said it had a large balcony. The balcony was only about 2m x 2m- only big enough for 2 people & 2 chairs- no room for a table! in addition because the apartment was up in the roof of the Residence L'Uvio the balcony was up in the roof area so you only got a view by peering over a chest high ledge!

The bed was 2 singles pushed together & the furniture was all very dated & old. The kitchen had a fridge & 4 rings to cook on, with basic saucepans, cutlery & plates.

The nice thing about the apartment is that it is a short walk from the town centre so away from any noise or bustle.Having said this there is nothing open in November- pretty much the whole of Bellagio closes down from 1st November until March. There was only 5-6 restaurants open and a couple of other shops. I did ask the booking department at Residence L'uvio if anything would be open in November as it was a trip for my birthday, and they assured me shops & restaurants would all be open!

In addition the hotel next door was closed- where you can normally use the facilities (restauarnt, spa & pool) I am sure this would be a totally different holiday between March & November

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JaneMUK
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

My family and I have stayed here twice for a week in July 2007 and August 2011. We enjoyed our stay and are planning to come back and stay here on our next visit. As registered guests of the Villa Serbelloni we had access to all of the amenities of the hotel. The apartment includes daily linen and room cleaning. There are several local food markets with fresh food close by and plenty of restaurants if you don't want to cook. Great place for a family stay. I would recommend that you reserve a year in advance for a summer visit.

Room Tip: Apt #10 opens to the terrace, Apt #4 has a great view of the lake.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Aldo D
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2010

We have stayed here three times over the course of 8 years for 1 week each stay. We love the apartment, the size, the location and service. It was recently renovated and the bathroom amenities were upgraded as well. The Villa Serbolloni is the best located hotel in Bellagio and the only hotel to have a sand beach over looking the gorgeous lake and the best lakefront pool. Most of us can not afford to stay at the 5 star hotel, but the apartment affords you the privilege of using all the hotel facilites for a 4 star price!
The only improvment the apartments could make would be to put ceiling fans in the living room & bedroom, and purchase an Air-conditioning unit that really worked. The A/C units are old and never put off cool air that can truly cool off the room well enough to sleep well. You are then forced to sleep with the window open, and that is difficult with neighboring apartments and for privacy. Perhaps the owners who live on property, will make this improvement before our next visit in 3 years time - then this really will be the perfect place to stay in Bellagio!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TONI B
Leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2010

We visited the apartments in May 2010 for 5 nights - it was ideal for what we needed. The apartments are located just behind the Villa Serbelloni, and share all of their great facilities (outdoor and indoor pool, gym, concierge, bars etc).
We stayed in a 1 bedroom apartment which was huge for just 2 people. Quite basic but very clean and comfortable bed etc. Can't fault it really. The kitchen had a hob and a fridge and most utensils you would need.
The apartments are up a steepish hill from the hotel itself no problem for us but I guess not for everyone.
Despite what I've read about the Villa Serbelloni and the attitude of staff there, we had quite the opposite experience - reception, concierge, pool staff and bar staff were all extremely helpful and friendly.
Wireless was only available in the hotel lobby - but can access internet in apartment with a cable if you have a laptop and wanted to use it.
Shame they couldn't have put on some sunshine for us too!! Can't win them all......

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sparkleymonkey
Bedfordshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2009

My husband and I really enjoyed our fortnight's holiday in Bellagio at the L'ulivo apartments attached to the Grand Hotel Serbelloni as we had apartment 10 with pretty good views of the lake. A lovely couple from Newcastle donated some great coffee, oil, vinegar and liquour at the end of our first week and we thought that everything was perfect. Unfortunately, at the beginning of the second week 2 items of my clothing disappeared from the wardrobe. I reported this immediately but was met with scepticism. Who would want to steal a cardigan ? - thieves are only interested in money etc. I was made to feel that my clothes were cheap and insignificant My husband thought that perhaps I had left the 2 items at home and should check before making any accusations. I agreed to wait until I returned home but was concerned because the blouse and cardigan matched perfectly and I had made a list of all the clothing I had packed for airline loss insurance purposes. Naturally, I was not surprised to discover that my suspicions were quite correct upon my return, as there was no trace of my blouse and cardigan. I remain shocked that someone should have rifled through my wardrobe and made a selection. I have never experienced anything like this before and especially in a hotel that boasts 5 stars. It just begs the question as to whether they vet their staff properly. We always ensured that the door was locked before we left the apartment.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple