“Great pool deck, OK rooms, OK restaurant”

Hotel Belvedere Bellagio
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Bellagio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 29 July 2009

We spent two nights at the Belvedere this July.

The hotel is located five minutes walk from the tiny village center and has a great eastward view over the lake. It is hard to find any negatives about it being located outside the center. The positive is that it makes room for a great terraced garden with swimming pool and a spa.

Our room was unfortunately not facing the lake. It was on the small side but was well maintained and had a big balcony. The AC was OK, but it seemed to circulate the air but not ventilate/add new outside air, so we wound up sleeping with the balcony doors open. The bathroom seemed to be recently renovated and was very nice. Despite the revamp, it did, however, feature the ubiquitous Italian feature of the leaking shower/bath, there being a small tiled edge in one end of the tub which for some reason turned any water falling on it out of the tub rather than into it. We also found that the public areas of the hotel was very well kept.

The big thing of the Belvedere is its garden and its pool. It is a great place to spend a few days doing nothing. Beachtowels are rented for €2 a piece. Drinks and snacks are served by the pool staff.

We also tried the spa and were very happy with our treatments.

We tried the restaurant for lunch and dinner. It is good and the staff is very attentive, but it seemed to be somewhat on the expensive side compared to other nearby options. We tried the Barchetta restaurant in the center, which was absolutely great (reservation recommended).

The breakfast buffet is extensive and offers something for everyone. Plenty of fresh fruit.

We delivered laundry on the afternoon of our arrival. It was not returned to us within the 24h deadline advertised and we had to ask for it to get it prior to check out. Came back very clean and nicely pressed, though.

1  Thank g_oslo

Reviewed 29 July 2009

Rest assure if you want service, courtesy, and a beautiful hotel with stunning views then this is the one, breakfast is a great start to the day in therestaurant overlooking the lake and and in the evening dinner outside on the terrace also overlooking the lake,with staff that look after your every request with a big hello and a smile,.The swimming pool and jacuzzi were in one of the best locations I've ever seen and as for the spa and treatment room they are an oasis of serenity after sunbathing or shopping, we stayed here from 13/07/09 to the 20/07/09 and one small problem on arrival was sorted out with efficiency and courtesy, this is a family run hotel about 5-7 minutes walk from Bellagio town centre, its up hill but not too bad the town it self is quite steep with steps but again nothing too serious the town of Bellagio has one of the most stunning settings I've ever seen and can be explored quite easly on foot , just those steps! also good out door market on Wednesdays just ask directions. I hope this review helps someone have a great stay at the Hotel Belvedere Bellagio

1  Thank irelands0wn
Reviewed 23 July 2009

We traveled to Europe from the US for the second straight year. This is also the second year in a row that we made it to Bellagio and we returned to the Belvedere. This hotel was amazing again. The view alone is the best in Bellagio. The rooms are impecable. They looked as if they had just been built. Also, I highly recommend their restaurant on the premises. The food was outstanding and you eat outside facing the mountains and lake. Truly a great spot. I cannot imagine staying anywhere else in Bellagio. Also, the pool is fantastic and is situated to take advantage of the views of the lake and the mountains. It is very peaceful there. It is the only reasonably priced hotel in Bellagio that has a pool.

One note that I would have for older travelers is with regard to location. The Belvedere sits up at a fairly high point above Bellagio which contributes to its amazing views. The walk to the center of town is 5 - 10 minutes. The hotel will arrange for no charge to take you and your luggage down to the boat dock. However, you should be prepared to walk up and down hills if you are going to Bellagio in general and in particular if you are staying at this hotel. If you are in reasonable shape, the walk up the hill is fine and the views are great. But if you can't walk up and down hills you would probably be better off staying down near the boat dock. However, if you stay somewhere else, I cannot imagine that it will be as nice as the Belvedere.

Reviewed 22 July 2009

I've been there with all my family and I've done my wedding reception in the Hotel's Restaurant. Absolutely everything perfect! The dinner was fantastic!! Wonderful food, very well presented, excellent service, just impecable! Besides, the views are splendid!
Our room had lake view, and I really recommend it! My parents and in laws didn't have it, but their rooms were very good too, very quiet. The staff is really simpatic and helpfull, and all speaks good english.
It's not in the middle of the village but within a very short walking distance.
The jacuzzi with lake view is just amazing! We really want to come back!
If you are thinking about a great place to make your wedding reception, don't think twice! Keep this Hotel!

Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2009

Following the great reviews on Trip Advisor we also stayed at the Belvedere Hotel and found it to be a great place to stay - all the positive comments on this site are true so it seems a little unnecessary to repeat them all!

One minor point - if you are coming up from Malpensa Airport using a GPS/satnav in your car then check you "exclude ferries" from your route menu or you may be taken up the west bank of Lake Como unnecessarily. Also when coming up the east bank you may be taken up a road to your right just before you come into Bellagio which then has been changed into a no through road. Ignore your satnav and just drive into central Bellagio and you will pick up the signs easily for the hotel as you come into the town itself.

We also had a look at the Hotel du Lac in Varenna where we went for lunch. Whilst it looks a very stylish hotel it does not appear to have a pool and the waiter at lunchtime was incredibly unfriendly - so much so that our thoughts of staying there on our next trip were changed. We much preferred the friendliness of Hotel Belvedere who were incredibly friendly in every way. We did not find the hotel particularly cheap but we were in peak season in what we think is one of the finest places to visit in Europe so still worth it.

Reviewed 16 July 2009

I stayed at Hotel Belvedere two years ago and I wanted my family to share in the experience, so we booked a room for four nights. I have been to Italy 5 times in the last two years for both business and pleasure. My business is in the travel industry - I search for the best travel accomodations for my clients. What I didn't realize when I stayed at this hotel then, is that I was lucky to have been put in one of their nicer rooms.

When we arrived we were put in a different room than I requested - the bathroom was small and the furnishings very old. We asked to move and found that we were rudely treated by the reception clerk. She was very confrontational and defensive.

When you pay such prices, one would expect to be treated with some courtesy. After all we weren't there to fight or argue, but to enjoy our holiday! To top things off, the air conditioner didn't work in the room the first night. The repairman was sent and he agreed the room was too warm; he was unable to repair it. When I asked the front desk to move us the next morning, the management insisted that the repairman said the air conditioning worked just fine! Once we clarified that it didn't work at all, we were moved to yet an even older room with worse furnishings.

There are many hotels in Bellagio, including new aparments on the hill with equally beautiful views and an incredible pool with 4 star accomodations, for 1/3 of the price. I WOULD NOT STAY HERE AGAIN - it is too costly for what they don't have to offer. No one made any attempts to give us a discount for the first night or compensate us in any way for the air conditioning. In addition, as some reviews read below, many of the rooms are in desperate need of renovations.

Stayed: July 2009
6  Thank Antheia
Reviewed 13 July 2009

The Belvedere in Bellagio is simply an incredible hotel. The staff is five-star quality. The views on the lake side simply cannot be improved upon. The rooms are exquisite, with the finest quality Italian linens. The hotel is family-run, and retains a sense of intimacy and attentiveness that is difficult to get at a corporate-owned hotel chain. It's hard to imagine how this beautiful place can be improved upon. Also, because it is on the hill above town, the hotel is quiet, where the hotels down by the water must contend with traffic and the thumping beats of music from the dock side night club in town.

I traveled to the Belvedere with my wife and our 3 month old daughter, on our first big trip with baby. The staff was incredibly helpful and empathetic to the issue of traveling with an infant, whom they nicknamed "la bellissima piccolina." I rented a bike to do some cycling on the legendary roads around Lake Como, and the hotel was happy to store my bike downstairs for me, and to retrieve it at a moment's notice when I was ready to ride. On a rainy night, the hotel happily drove us down the hill for dinner, again, at a moment's notice.

This is simply the best hotel in Bellagio. If I could afford it, I'd simply move in!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bellagio
Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni
#2 of 16 in Bellagio
Royal Victoria
Royal Victoria
#2 of 6 in Varenna

Been to Hotel Belvedere Bellagio? Share your experiences!