“Hotel worth considering but disappointed with the restaurant”
Review of Hotel Silvio

Hotel Silvio
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Bellagio
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Hotel worth considering but disappointed with the restaurant”
Reviewed 10 June 2012

My wife and I recently stayed for 5 nights at the Silvio and whilst we were generally happy with the hotel we also felt a little disappointed by some aspects. Perhaps our expectations had been raised by the many very positive reviews we had read beforehand.

The location of the hotel is ideal for guests using their own transport as it is outside the more congested centre of Bellagio. For those using public transport there is a bus stop directly outside. There is also the super vista of the lake from the hotel so it is worthwhile trying to book a room with a good view. The walk through the gardens of Villa Melzi is very enjoyable (the cost of a multiday ticket is not expensive) and provides superb views over the lake. Another alternative to the main road is a pleasant and slightly longer route back along via Valassina. The hotel also provides a useful free drop of and collection service although understandably this is not available all of he time.

Our room was fine but not particularly large. It was located on the side and above the outdoor part of restaurant so we were concerned about the possibility of late evening noise from below that had been mentioned in some previous reviews. However this turned out not to be a problem even during the busy national holiday period. Noise was mainly from the adjoining rooms and due to the apparantly thin walls.

Generally the service from the hotel staff was helpful, friendly and efficient. The range of food at breakfast was reasonable without being particularly outstanding. We've had better breakfasts in Italy and we've certainly had worse. Although the hotel's room prices are good compared with some of those more centrally located in Bellagio, there were a few aspects that we found a little niggling. On arrival in the bedroom a couple of small bottles of drinking water are provided together with some tea bags and sachets of coffee. These were not replaced once they had been used and we also had to ask for further containers of shampoo once our initial supply had been finished. As I've mentioned, these are only minor niggles but they could be resolved easily and quite cheaply.

Unfortunately our experience in the hotel's restaurant was far from positive. Whilst the food was quite good, sadly the service we received was very poor. After being seated at our table we had to wait approximately 10 minutes before receiving a menu or wine list. Even when it was realised that we had not been served, there was no apology or acknowledgement. We then had to wait another 10 minutes before anyone returned to take our order and again neither an apology nor an explanation was offered. We were not impressed and if an alternative restaurant had been nearby we would have walked out. Even when our food was served it was not with any great degree of friendliness or interest.

Overall I would recommend staying at the Hotel Silvio but on the evidence of our experience at the restaurant I would advise against eating there.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side have larger balconies or a terrace and a good view of he lake. Rooms on he s...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Polish first
Peconic, NY
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Today, I had a wonderful Sunday lunch at Ristorante Da Silvio. The staff was attentive, the food very, very good and the wine list more than adequete. Unfoirtunately, our visit was marred by, who we were told was the owner, Christian. The moment we walked in he told us our reservation was incorrect, chastised me, made a face and reluctantly accomodated us. When we sat, I wanted to order a wine that we had the day before, but because their list had several choices, I asked for some assistance. When I explained what I was looking for, they called Christian over and he told me what I was looking for was impossible and basically made me feel that I didn't kn ow what I was talking about. I will just say that myself, along with my party have been exposed to some of the finest wine lists in thw world and my wife and I live in a wine region back home. Suffice it to say, Christian was rude and was the only negative to our experience. He should not be in the front of the house at all!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Christopher A
Bella, Italy
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Silva at the front desk is very nice and accomodating. The rooms are new but lack independent cooling and heat in the room. Run by a central room. Very odd. Silvo's son in the restaurant is very arrogant and cold. Meal was ok at best. Rooms are clean and bed is comfortable. No frills such as bell man or parking attendant. Parking is tight and especially if restaurant is busy.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Verbier, Switzerland
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Overall a vg hotel, for price. First is top location, just outside Bellagio to south but great views west across left lower leg of Lago di Como, and lovely walk to Bellagio thru Villa Melzi gardens, superb. Therefore easy to park car.
So generally is lovely to stay close to B but not in it for is busy tourist infested?!
Marvellous for us cyclists, only short warm up to foot of Ghisallo and beyond. Bliss.
Rooms vary but generally good. Good restaurant, terrace and inside, views west. Well priced. But breakfast mixed, fresh orange juicer is marvellous, but bread is average, and croissants average. But good coffee.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 28 May 2012 via mobile

Lovely hotel in a nice location with beautiful views of the lake. We got room 4 with an ample balcony facing the lake. Although the room was standard the view more than made up for any shortcomings. We would stay in this hotel and this room again without any hesitation. The walk into town through the Villa Melzi gardens was beautiful if not free. If you get a 3 day ticket it is much cheaper. 6 euros for one day and 9 euros for three days. You can walk down the street for free. It is about a 15 minute relaxing walk either way to the center of town. On the way back it is slightly uphill but the hotel has a free shuttle bus until 21:00 if you don't want to exercise. The two receptionists Silvia and Elena were both very helpful and made us feel very comfortable. They both gave us a lot of needed information, mass times at nearby St.Giovanni, and how to get our car on the car ferry to cross to the other side of the lake(Cadenobbia) an easier drive than going through Como as we did coming in. The hotel has plenty of free private parking. If you want to do the mid lake tour there is a ticket just for that which includes Varena, Menaggio, Cadenobbia, Tremezzo, Villa Carlotta, Lenno and back to Bellagio.

Would definitely recommend and stay at the Silvio again. We were there from May 5-8, 2012.

The

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank edgardo m
NSW Australia
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Balcony room over the lake was worth the expense - breathtaking views. We just had to dine in the restaurant each night as the seafood, fresh from the lake, was outstanding. Reception staff were most obliging while the restaurant staff were attentive and valued our patronage - our table got closer to the window each evening. Bellagio is on our "must come back to" list - and Silvio will be our choice of home away from home.

Room Tip: Go the balcony room - paradise
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 May 2012

After spending a couple of amazing nights at Borgo Le Terrazze (5 mins up the road) we wanted to stay on for an extra night, unfortunately they were fully booked but recommended Hotel Silvio, we had eaten in the restaurant a couple of nights previously and like the food, so we thought why not.

On reading some of the reviews below I am wondering whether it is the same hotel, but it definitely is, and I am afraid to stay that over 20+ nights and 10 hotels in Italy was the worst we stayed in by far.

We arrived back in the evening after a day of exploring Lake Como and decided we wanted an early night before the drive down to Tuscany the next day. We had a shower and off to bed, only to be woken at about 11.30 by a screaming (not crying) baby next door, ok sometimes happens after 10 minutes it dissipated. Back again at just before 1am and went on for ages, I tried phoning reception – no answer, I tried back after another 10 minutes - no answer. So then got up and went downstairs to reception only to find no one there at all, I went to the restaurant and kitchens but no answer. This is supposed to be a 3 or 4 star hotel and there was not a member of staff on site at all. There was no information on what to do or who to call.
On going back upstairs the baby continued to scream most of the night. Then on the other side of our room I hear laughing and talking at about 2am, on banging on the wall it quietened down after a few minutes.

After a terrible night we packed and on leaving our room walked outside into the lounge area on our floor to find a foldout bed for someone to sleep in the corridor. I then looked at the room next door that the noise had come from and it was not marked as a bedroom, so knocked and stuck my head in to find what can only be described as a ‘dirty squat’. It was obvious it was a staff room and they had woken us at 2am, the condition of this room was disgusting – the photo says it all.

On checking out I explained the nights proceedings to the lady on reception calmly, who replied with ‘oh well babies cry’ when asking why there was no one to contact she said we leave a mobile number here at night, but nothing what to be seen otherwise I would have called it. I then asked about the staff room and she declined to answer and offered a 20 euro discount. I enquired further and she said she would call the owner to discuss, I welcomed this and after 2 minutes she came back with no further explanations or offers.

The room was average, the staff area was disgusting and the service was terrible, there are much better in the area, in my opinion stay there!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple