“Pleasant hotel and restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Silvio

Hotel Silvio
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Bellagio
Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
“Pleasant hotel and restaurant”
Reviewed 16 July 2008

We were given a very pleasant double room on the first floor when we arrived, after a friendly introduction. There had only been one room left when we booked it, so we knew we had a side view of the lake. Having said that, the view was very nice, there was room on the balcony for a couple of chairs. The room itself was on the small side, but was clean and nicely furnished. The only problem we had was that the shower door fell off when my husband tried to close it. In the end we both managed to lift it back on to its rollers, although it was heavy and I thought it could have been dangerous. After that we had no problems with the (albeit small) bathroom.
We were staying for 3 nights, and were told that if we ate at the hotel every night then we would get 10% off the dining bill. In the end this is what we did, as we didn't fancy the walk into the town. The food was very nice, but only a small menu that did not change for a month. The service was good and the owners pleasant. Breakfast was OK, but twice we had to chase up coffee.

All in all, a pleasant stay and I would recommend it.

• Liked — Friendly service and nice meals
  • Disliked — Small room and faulty shower door
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Polish first
St. Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 29 June 2008

I stayed at this wonderful place in March2004 and was absolutely overwhelmed by the friendly, helpful staff and the cleanliness, the view, the food---really everything, including the dogs lounging by the hearth! I am really surprised by the negative views posted here. Are they traveling in an alternate universe? Elena helped me out tremendously by giving me travel directions, etc. and even e-mailed my son at my request.
( i had been a little worried about my solo trip). One night at dinner I was looking over the menu and Christian offered to personalize a dinner for me! It was exquisite!
Many have commented on the walk to town. I was pretty comfortable walking it several times but for the faint of heart, the local bus will stop at Silvio's and get you to town in minutes. All in all, it was fabulous. It was like staying with family (if you REALLY like your family!) One more thing, one day I took the train to Milan and returned later than expected. They actually expressed relief when I showed up and wanted to hear how it had gone. ( I hear you snidely wondering if I looked too inept to figure it out). Anyway, 5 stars all around.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — That it ended
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
California
Reviewed 28 June 2008

The Hotel Silvio has simple yet clean rooms. The best part was the view. It is definately worth paying the 25 euros extra to get a view room with a balcony. Waking up to the magnificent lake view was worth giving up some room luxury. The balcony was large enough for a lounge, 2 chairs, a small table and still had room to walk around. The restaurant was o.k. It was expensive and the pasta was very al dente to the point of being crunchy. The lemon parmesan risotto with perch was delicious. They have 1 menu per month so you may not want to eat all your meals at the hotel. The staff was friendly and spoke English well.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — the beds
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
New York, NY
Reviewed 19 May 2008

A delightful little hotel on Lake Como. The room was quite small, but with a terrace that overlooked the lake. The property was all very clean and quiet, and such a bargain for Bellagio. It was also really nice to just walk downstairs for excellent fish. My only reservation is that it is really a hike from town. We had too much luggage and dragged it the uphill from town...only to be told at the front desk that they would have picked us up at the ferry terminal. If only we knew in advance! However, they did drive us back down to the ferry when we left which was a great help. Otherwise, I would definitely return!

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chompchompNY
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 January 2008

For such a bargain of a hotel I must say, we expected less... what a pleasant surprise to find such a charming hotel with such gorgeous views across Lake Como!!

We drove from Zurich to Como and then on to beautiful Bellagio (a little tricky in parts but we made it in one piece!) with my husband's Mum for two nights at Hotel Silvio, and she had a single room underneath ours. Both rooms were tastefully furnished, had modern bathrooms, great airconditioning and boasted large balconies for the perfect sunset drinks - you would never get tired of that view, Lake Como is just stunning.

The hotel is located a short walk out of town, but if you don't mind a 15 minute stroll you'll love it. You also get to take in some of the lovely scenery on foot too. There is also the "silly bus" (as we called it) which I presume operates in peak season only, but it's a bunch of open-air carriages (with roofs) towed along by a motorised buggy at the front and you get on and get off wherever you want. It stops right outside Silvio. From memory it cost a few Euros each but on the way home from dinners it saved you from the uphill walk on the dark road. Given it's "out of town centre" location you get the best night's sleep - it's so very quiet and peaceful. We indulged in some drinks on the balcony after returning from dinner one night and it was just gorgeous. We ate at the Metropole on the second night and enjoyed a great meal right on the edge of the lake.

Breakfast was basic but there was plenty of it and we certainly didn't go hungry! For the price of the room I actually thought it was a huge bonus. The service was a little indifferent at times, but we're not easily offended so it didn't really bother us. For the most part the staff were friendly enough.

Value-for-money-wise this was the best hotel we could have chosen and we will most likely stay here again when we return to Bellagio in the future.

• Liked — The views - just superb!
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank julesy
Dorset
Reviewed 12 October 2007

My wife and I were in a rented car and just turned up at the door of the Silvio. Fortunately there was room for us. Stayed three nights and ate dinner with them on the first night. Excellent choice of fish from the lake aswell a variety of other meals. Good food and sensibly priced as was even the wine. There are also some bottles on the menu at silly prices.
Very friendly and caring staff, clean rooms with lovely views over the lake.
We would go back tomorrow

Stayed October 2007
5 Thank MotosportAprilia
Glasgow
Reviewed 27 September 2007

I am just back from a 10 day trip to Italy. We started our trip in Tuscany and then went to Venice and finally to Bellagio on Lake Como. Hotel Silvio is excellent value for money. While it may not have the luxury of a 4 star it is in a great location and the views. The rooms are small but comfortable and the showers are fantastic. Also there is free wireless internet!! The best thing about the hotel is the restaurant and I would rate it as being one of the best I went to in Italy. The staff are very nice and very helpful.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple