“Great lakefront views” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Bellagio
Boston
“Great lakefront views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2009

The value for this hotel is just alright considering everything.
We opted to stay outside of the central part of Bellagio owing to the fact that we had a car.
We were in lakefront double room #5. The best part of it were of the views of the mountains and the lake, absolutely spectacular. The room itself is quite small and there was not an ounce of extra space not even to place/open suitcase (you have to place it on the bed to open and retrieve items). Visualize nightstand-double bed-nightstand only (no more) for the width and length of bed plus about 2 feet max at the end of the bed before the door of the bathroom/wall. Redeeming was the balcony to open it up some with 2 patio chairs and the VIEW, otherwise it would have been extremely small and closety. Like all thing in Italy there are always quirks. The ever present low level lighting that you always experience in hotel rooms of this caliper. The bathroom was modern however the toilet was the most uncomfortable either one of us had ever experienced (not standard issue and the rim of the bowl seat was about 2" so you can imagine sitting on a thin, narrow hard plank. I don't know how anyone would ever be able to use the bidet (not that we do) as the left side of it was bump up against the wall just like the toilet's right side - so the visual for this facing the plumbing , the left side bidet against the wall about 1-1/2 foot between that and the toilet - toilet -then the right side of the toilet is against the wall, the bathroom is about 4 feet wide in total (if that). In other words, don't expect anything that would be comfortable for anyone taller that about 5'8" (be slim and fit, too) and you should be OK. The breakfast was bad. We arrived one morning and it appeared that the coffee in the urn was cold and they were attempting to re-heat it up by plugging it back in. Selections of items was miserably bad. The parking lot is small and parking could be an issue if you return at dinner time after being out as it is shared with the restaurant. We never moves it at night past 6-ish. To go into town one should drive as the alternatives are to walk through the gardens by paying an admission. The gates of the garden close at 6 or 630 so don't stay in town too long -or walk by the side of the curvy, narrow road that has no sidewalk and risk being taken out by an Italian driver that doesn't see you in time who is driving way too fast.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Polish first
Europe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2009

Location: 20 min walk into centre of village. Can pay £9 Euro for a 3 day pass to walk through Villa Melzi grounds, which are open until 6pm. The walk is faster and easier. However after 6pm you need to walk on along the top roads. Fine on a summer night, but wouldn't want to do it in winter.

Rooms: The reason to stay here is the superior double room! Stunning views from the balcony. We bought a bottle of wine each day from the nearby supermarket and the hotel gave us wine glasses, so we could have a few drinks watching the sun set across the lake Balcony has table & 2 chairs, plus sun-lounger. Room is on the smaller side, but clean and comfortable. Modern bathroom. Problems with drainage in the shower. We had to request the air-con be turned on each day, as there was a "technical problem" (in other words the staff seemed to switch it off from their master-switch each day to save power). Air-con would slightly cool the room, but was not working 100%. Free Wi-fi Internet.

Meals: Breakfast was free but was average - sliced ham, bread roll and processed cheese triangles, plus cereals. However the restaurant food was fantastic - one of the best Italian meals we have ever had. People come from all over the area to visit this restaurant. Shame about the breakfast.

Parking: Available at the hotel, but not many parks during restaurant hours.

Staff: Very friendly

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Traveller_of_World
France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2009

I have never been inspired until now to write a hotel review – but I feel compelled to provide some feedback after staying for one week at the Silvio. Prior to staying at Silvio, I had been traveling in Italy for 5 months – that’s a lot of hotels in which to compare! I have to report I have never felt so unfairly overcharged for a hotel room and received so little in return. There is a huge discrepancy here in regard to price versus services received. I feel ripped off staying here for 99 Euros a night. Even if I had paid 50% less for this hotel, I would still feel I overpaid. To begin with, the room was so small I was not able to open my luggage. It was by far the smallest room I had ever occupied in 5 months of travel in Italy. I had to keep my luggage locked and upright while I occupied the room. I could lie in bed and touch both of the sidewalls. The bedspread was dingy and unclean. I saw many rooms in this hotel with similar dingy bedspreads. I noticed wallpaper curling off the walls in one of the rooms. The shower drainage was so slow n the room I occupied that each time I took a shower I had to shut off the water in the middle of showering so it would not overflow all over the floor. I had to stand there and wait for the water to drain out before I could put the water back on and continue showering. For the duration of my stay, the internet was not working, the phone lines were not working, the AC was not working, and the lift was not working for a majority of the time. Even when the hotel staff claimed the AC was now “working” it barely cranked out a poof of tepid air that never served to cool the stuffy room. There was never any parking available and no place else to park on this busy road. I had to park elsewhere and get up at midnight every night to re-park my car in the hotel parking lot after the restaurant guests left for the night. They provide no priority parking for their hotel guests. The breakfast was the worse I received in any hotel in 5 months of travel in Italy. This was a huge surprise to me since the establishment seems to have gained a favorable reputation from its restaurant. Having said this, I never ate at the restaurant because of the appearance of the breakfast buffet. Given the reputation of the hotel’s restaurant, I felt their breakfast was an insult to their hotel guests. It was the first hotel breakfast I experienced that served only packaged cheese rather than fresh cheese, many other packaged items rather than fresh items, poor quality breakfast meat like ham which appeared to be canned rather than fresh, and always appeared to be of very limited supply, add to this stale white bread every morning which appeared to be leftover from the restaurant. Speaking of restaurant leftovers, I saw the EXACT SAME “apple pie” concoction and a plain chocolate cake served on the breakfast buffet for 5 days straight. I noticed where the cuts were and saw this was the exact same stale cake being put out every day on the buffet table! Additionally, unlike all hotels I previously stayed in, this was the first where I was not offered a choice of freshly made coffee or cappuccino to order. Rather, they put out pre-made coffee in an urn. Furthermore, the owners of the hotel never welcomed my husband or myself to the hotel and never made any caring or friendly comments to us; they just seemed to look through us like we did not exist. Nobody ever apologized to us when anything broke or for any of the inconveniences we experienced while there. Additionally, when I would ask the hotel when the wi fi or the lift would be fixed, the desk staff (always harried, stressed, too busy to care) would only tell me how it inconvenienced them! I could go on and on, but this should give people a brief synopsis of what we experienced for 99 Euros a night for 7 nights. Needless to say, I will never return. I hope some can be warned by this review.

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank vagabond108
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2009

We stayed in a Lake Views double room for 110 euros a night. This is the way to go. The views room or standard double room would have quite the experience we did. Whichever way, the hotel itself is excellent. Location is ideal.

Rooms themselves have a good, small bathroom and television, although little things (that don't matter) like the cupboards are a bit dated.

Staff are lovely, breakfast is extensive and tasty, the hotel is super clean and the fish restaurant downstairs AMAZING. Really ample serves for what you pay and incredible meals. Best we had in Italy.

I know some people complain about the walk from the town of Bellagio, and I see their point (the road is narrow and walled), but the way to do it is definitely walk as far you can through the Villa del Mezi gardens. Beautiful walk and only 9 euro for 3 days free entrance. Do it!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tomily
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2009

My husband and I stayed here in April 2008 for about 115 euro/night for a double room with ensuite facilities, breakfast, and a spectacular view of Lago di Como!

The room was fair sized, and the bathroom spacious in comparison to other European experiences! Everything was very clean. But we hardly glanced at the room the whole time we were there, except to sleep - we spent all of our time on our amazing balcony or in the town below!

Breakfast was a delicious buffet including hot and cold drinks, pastries, bagels, cakes, cereal, yogurt/muesli, etc - served in the restaurant on the first level of the building (which has a huge glass seating area that overlooks the lake!). We ate at this restaurant for dinner 2 of our nights here, and were pleased with the food and service, although all the prices in Europe seemed high to us as the Euro was 1.5 Dollars...

Wireless internet was provided, which always gets major points from us, but there were no phones in the room which was very frustrating (our computer crashed and there was no way to call Dell to get it fixed - so we were basically cut off from the outside world. Not always a bad thing, but still....) The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful in this situation and many others, even driving us into town to save us the walk and calling to make us an appointment with a travel agent in town who could help us with buying our train tickets for our next destination, since we could no longer access the internet. Nothing was too much to ask of them.

The hotel is situated on a hill, which makes for great views. The only problem is getting down to the village on foot - there isn't a lot of traffic on the narrow road leading up to the hotel, but it seems like a lot when you're sharing the roadway on foot (and if you've been to Europe, you know how they drive). The walk took us about 10 minutes going down, maybe a little more going uphill. :) There is another option to walk through some gardens along the lake, but you have to pay for those, and we were already pushing our budget, so we risked the roadway (without incident).

Bellagio itself we found adorable, but very touristy, and aimed at shoppers with not much else to do. However, if you ask the reception at the hotel, they can guide you to a beautiful short walk that takes you the opposite way from the road, to a village called Pescale. My husband and I loved this walk and the small village, which looks over the other side of the lake. The walk through Pescale eventually leads you into Bellagio (the back way) - and past a candy/pastry shop which we patronized frequently during our stay. :)

Another possibility is the short hike down to the water's edge and rocky beach, seen from the balconies of the hotel. You have to walk along a neighborhood road for some of the way, and then down a drive that goes through a beautiful walled estate. From the beach you can get yet another perspective on the beautiful lake, as well as a good view of Hotel Silvio across the water!

I also recommend walking all the way through Bellagio (from the hotel, past all the shops) to the very end of the island - there is a little park with benches to sit on and amazing views onto the water and the surrounding mountains. The access to this park is right next to a restaurant, which has an outdoor terrace, but we didn't get to eat there as it was closed at the time (we were there at midday).

In summary, we thoroughly enjoyed our time in Bellagio and it was made perfect by our stay at Hotel Silvio. We would definitely stay here were we to come again, and would recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank princessbride029
London, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2009

We stayed here for 4 days. I found the hotel after trawling the internet for something with a sensible price tag. The hotel is great value for money. The rooms are clean with many of them having balconies that overlook the lake. It's worth paying a few extra euro's for the benefit as the lake is stunning.

The hotel staff are really friendly and the receptionist went out of her way to help us find a canyoning company when one let us down. The restaurant at the hotel overlooks the lake and also has a terrace area outside. The food is gorgeous, i'd definitely recommend the balsamic vinegar steak.

The hotel is set at the top of a hill. There are some steps down to some gardens which you can walk through to get to Bellagio town. It's a gorgeous 15-20mins walk along the lake and although you have to pay a few euros for a ticket to walk through the gardens you can get a 3 day ticket which is a bit cheaper and its definitely worth it. There are a couple of other routes into town, or you can drive down in about 5 mins and park there .

We stayed in several hotels in Italy whilst on our trip and this was definitely one of the best.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2009

We recently spent a month in Italy for our honeymoon. Hotel Silvio was one of the best places we stayed. The room was clean, new and a reasonable size. We had a small balcony that had gorgeous views of the lake. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The restaurant is amazing...the fish pate is a must!!

It is about a 10 min walk into Bellagio. The worst part is having to walk along the road that is barely wide enough for the cars.

All in all this hotel was great value and very memorable for us.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple