“Strange”

Hotel Excelsior Splendide
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Bellagio
Reviewed 13 May 2012

We did not stop at the hotel so can't comment on the rooms, we decided to have lunch here a party of 8. Upon arrival we asked for seating together when we were told no we must have two separate tables, ok no worries so we had two tables between us. We all started to order our food when behind us they started to prepare a large table to sit 10 people, we did ask why they told us no, to be told after 20 mins of being there we can change you now. Now the food here was above average and I probably would have marked higher, however due to the seating and the bad ambiance of this restaurant (it really needs some soft background music) and strange waiters I cannot rate here anymore, there are much better places to eat for the same price.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 5 November 2011

The staff was friendly and somewhat helpful. The location was perfect. There is paid parking, like all over Italy, but if you don't go in the summer, there is lots of free parking nearby. Breakfast is complete and there is a good fixed price meal available in the dining room. The Melzi gardens are a 5 min walk along the water.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the lower floors. I think they are nicer.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Clarke56
Reviewed 9 October 2011

From the moment we first saw it from the ferry we loved it. A grand old hotel. Staff extremely helpful and efficient. We had a family room (family of four) on the first floor overlooking the beautiful lake. We had noise reducing shutters so did not hear much noise from the street below. Our room was very large and clean, with a large bathroom. A basic Italian breakfast. Would not recommend the evening dining - plenty of nice restaurants outside in close vicinity. The staff were very helpful in answering our transport queries and recommending an agent who could book our onward tickets. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank sunshinelollypops
Reviewed 2 October 2011

My wife and I together with my brother and sister in law stayed at this hotel from 17th to the 24th of September 2011.
We booked the holiday through Inghams who we have used on several times before. As previously their brochure description was accurate and hassle free. The transfers from the airport in Milan to Bellagio and return was first class.Their courier Teodora was very efficient and a mine of information.
The position of the hotel was on the lake side with superb views.The staff were friendly and informative.the service first class and the food was excellent.and plentiful with a good choice. The rooms that we occupied had fabulous views overlooking the lake.We used the ferry boats daily to visit other villages and towns and the villas and gardens.
In conclusion a wonderful holiday destination and an excellent hotel.

Room Tip: Pick a high floor at the front of the hotel and enjoy the views.
4  Thank Foursigns
Reviewed 26 September 2011

My friend and i stayed at this great hotel,in september 2010,and we really enjoyed it. We were made very welcome,at the reception,and we had a good bedroom. The waiters were lovely,very helpful and friendly,and the food was excellent. The hotel is also in a great location too. We had a great stay there,and we could not wait to return. And in september 2011,we went back again. But this time at the reception it was not as friendly...but acceptable. The waiters were still helpful,but because of new management..from the previous year...were only...aloud to be more friendly..if you were Australians..or Americans..and ordering a bottle of wine every night. So the new management here..want training in how to treat there customers...But on saying that,we still love this hotel..and will go back again..sometime. And hope that the staff are allowed to be themselves.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Im going to give the most honest review of this hotel that I can and I hope it is helpful as I realize just how tripadvisor reviews do make or break your holiday. I booked this hotel in May 2011 and the reason I booked it was after research found that unless we stayed at The Belvedere or Grand Villa Serbelloni this was the only hotel in Bellagio that had a swimming pool. To be honest we would not be able to afford or justify paying £4000 for a 6 day holiday.
We paid E980 for 6 days bed and breakfast and the Belvedere would have been an extra E1200 for 6 days so I decided on Hotel Excelsior Splendide. When I booked it was no 7 of all the hotels in Bellagio but by the time we were going on our holiday it had dropped to no 14 in the ratings and I was really concerned by other reviewers. I had booked with Booking.com and contacted them re my concerns which they forwarded to the hotel prior to our arrival (At this stage we could not change our hotel as every hotel in Bellagio was booked out!) One of my other choices was the Grand Hotel Mennagio but I was told Bellagio was the best place to stay in Lake Como.After spending 3 days in Milan we headed to Bellagio and I was extremely nervous and worried. On arrival from outside the hotel looked lovely, the receptionist was friendly and welcoming and we both were still apprehensive about the room. Our room was booked as "double room with double lake view! and breakfast included". From the photo when we booked it had two windows meaning a front and side view and also there was a photo of a table and chairs. The bathroom was much better than displayed at time of booking. It had a proper walk in shower and bidet. Also air condtioning and a plasma screen tv. My husband was very relieved and said the room was more than he had expected. I went down to reception and was told that they did not have double lake view rooms at all and only had 3 rooms with balconies which were already booked so we stayed in room allocated. The next morning we went down for breakfast and thats when the problems started. OMG this was our 14th holiday to Italy and we have never had a worst breakfast. Apples and oranges looked as if they should have been thrown out a month previous, bread rolls were completely hollow! Next the butter was Off!!! Then the coffee! We could not drink it. It came out of a machine that looked like treacle and suddenly a spulrge of hot water. It was disgusting and we could not drink it. So for the next 6 days we had to pay for breakfast in local hotels (which were not cheap). There was a wardrobe outside our room and to our dismay at 7am every morning the cleaners started very noisely emptying the contains. Also the noise of the ferries started at around 5.30am. To top everything off we went to view the swimming pool area. It was also disgusting. Weeds growing around a very small dirty pool which we of course did not use. The hotel needs a massive overhaul in every area. It has wonderful views but that is it! If you can afford to, book the Belverdere which we went to and it was really lovely. You will have a much better holiday and relax by a lovely pool with views over the other side of Lake Como. The Grand Hotel Mennagio is in a much quieter location but the pool area and views are much better and we noticed they had an Egony Ronay 2011 sign outside. Hotel Excelsior has a lovely restaurant area right on the lake which is closed to even residents until lunch time and then booked out by day trippers! Why they dont allow residents to have a decent breakfast right on the lake is beyond me!!Get a decent coffee machine and allow your residents to enjoy the views.

Room Tip: Lake view but be prepared for noise
11  Thank no1mac
Reviewed 22 September 2011

As a businessman who stays in a lot of hotels I expected a Hotel that lived up to its current star rating.......it certainly did not!

The location is superb, however, this Hotel is only Splendide on the outside, it is not Splendide on the inside.

I booked with the tour operator Inghams. I feel they had deceived me with the rating of this Hotel (I expect this suits as it is more profitable for both the tour operator and the Hotelier to maintain its current rating) The bed was hard and uncomfortable and should have been renewed many years ago, there was not a shower in my room (only a bath), I paid for Wi-Fi to enable me to stay in contact with my business, this rarely worked, when it did work it would only receive messages using Microsoft Outlook it would not send messages using Microsoft messages. There was no laundry service, no room service, no water, tea or coffee in the room, and no air conditioning. The breakfast was exceedingly poor(one coffee machine for all the residents!) the food generally was poor. The Hotel is in desperate need of refurbishing until then at best this is a One Star Hotel. on the posistive side it was clean, and the limited staff even though busy were helpful. Such a pity great location, it was obviously a great Hotel at one time, however, sadly anything in this Hotel that equires cost or investment is no longer provided.

Room Tip: Try a different Hotel
3  Thank Michael K H