“Room with a view”

Hotel Metropole Bellagio
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Bellagio
Reviewed 28 September 2007

My wife and I have recently enjoyed a very pleasant stay at the hotel metropole. We picked the destination of bellagio as we wanted to enjoy natural landscape, relax and have the chance to easily visit local towns.From day one we were simply amazed by the 360 degree fantastic views of both landscape and buildings.

The hotel itself is set directly on the lakeside and from our terrace/balcony the view of the distant mountains was beautiful, set within such a fine location the hotel will struggle to displease. Personally I found the ferry activity/noise rather annoying as it spoilt the serenity - but I am being very picky, my wife found it no problem at all.Its a double edged sword, on the one hand you have cheap access to the lakeside towns on your doorstep - on the other you put up with frequent ferry activity.

I also had a minor issue with the double bed consisting of two single matresses - again I am being picky.

Room was simple but adequate and again with such views who's going to be judging the interior decor.Food was good, a good choice breakfast buffet and fresh dinner menu. Service was good - many thanks to Francesco for keeping us entertained.

All in all we had a great time and would certainly return to bellagio and probably choose the metropole.

17  Thank kae01
Write a ReviewReviews (1,103)

Reviewed 27 September 2007

Have just returned from 10 days at the Metropole which we booked via Inghams after I had carefully checked out the reviews of hotels in Bellagio on this site.
We had one of the very nicest holidays we've ever had - Lake Como is stunning and if you want to find Paradise on earth, go and sit in the gardens of the Villa Monasterre at Varenna.
We couldnt get a full lakeside view when booking the Metropole so had to settle for a side view but were given a family room on the 4th floor of two bedrooms and bathroom, which since there were only the two of us, gave us plenty of spreading out space. The only thing we could criticise in this respect was the out of date bathroom where the shower facility could only be hand held and used standing/sitting in the bath. When you are 70+ as we are it made it a little more awkward but we managed. Oh and I found the beds very hard although my husband didnt; but from memory this is usually so in Continental hotels.The rooms were kept spotlessly clean and towels/beds changed frequently.
We were able to watch the world go by from a different angle with the 4 windows we had in the rooms and loved watching the ferries come and go from one of them.
The staff at the reception desk and in the restaurant couldnt have been more helpful and Francesco the head waiter was a delight, always welcoming and cheerful. Food was very good - alright, not quite haute cuisine, but an excellent variety and choice, and usually very tasty. I fail to see how anyone could ever complain in this respect, in our opinion for a 3* hotel we could find very little fault and wouldnt hesitate to go back again.
Apart from ferry hopping around the lake we went by fast boat to Como and spent a wonderful day there (the hugest market I've ever spent my money in!) and also Bergamo is well worth a visit to the old city with its fascinating cathedral.
Two other things worth a mention - just above the hotel, walking towards the car ferries there is a bar where they have live music several times a week. One of the waiters does a tray spinning act and there is a male singer who is often joined by another and they do beautiful duets. The atmosphere was always happy there with a great variety of both young and old(er) people and I was served the biggest vodka cocktail I've ever had (asked for an extra glass and turned it into two drinks!) Then there is Rosamaria who owns the Crown Gold Shop just below the hotel, near the passenger ferries. Another wonderful character who has beautiful jewellery. She could not have been more helpful, insisting I take back to the hotel overnight several pair of earrings since I couldnt make up my mind, so that I could try them on at leisure to decide - of course I bought 3 pairs in the end so a good business woman too!
Thank you Bellagio, its people and all the staff at the Metropole for a most happy holiday.

Stayed: September 2007
29  Thank BrummieWestYorkshire
Reviewed 17 September 2007

One of the best hotels we have ever stayed in - centrally situated right on the lakeside in the small town of Bellagio. Our room was very clean and comfortable with fantastic views from our balcony over the lake. The staff were very friendly and couldn't have been more helpful. Evening meals were excellent with a varied menu each evening - if anything we had too much food!! The weather was very warm for the time of year. Would certainly recommend and will definitely return.

19  Thank Sue17
Reviewed 12 September 2007

My fiance and I just returned from a 3 day trip to Lake Como where we had the pleasure of staying at the Hotel Metropole in Bellagio. The location could not be better - the only hotel directly on the water in the quaint and beautiful town of Bellagio, steps (literally) from the ferries to go to other lake towns, and in the center of the village's restaurant and bar area. All of the rooms have at least a side lake view, but we had a terrace room which was amazing - 18 sq meter terrace with table, chairs, umbrella, and lounge chairs directly on Lake Como. It was also quiet despite its central location. The room was clean with towel warmers in bathroom and king bed. The only downside is the restaurant is somewhat average (although a nice breakfast is included with meats, cheeses, pastries, granola, etc) and the room - while clean - is nothing very special. Highly recommend Bellagio as a town when considering Lake Como, we like it much more than the more expensive and touristy Como itself, and will certainly return to the Metropole.

13  Thank rlsnyc04
Reviewed 23 August 2007

Its all about location. The hotel is right on the lakeside and a stones throw from either of the ferry terminals. I booked a room with a balcony and front lake view as read previous reviews and wasn't disappointed - worth the extra money. Nice room and fluffy towels ! Breakfast is typical of most continental selections -pan au chocolats yummy.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
10  Thank CheshireBru
Reviewed 18 August 2007

I appreciate others may have had a great time at this hotel but my personal experience was very poor.
We visited the restaurant at the Hotel Metropole and were served a square slab of pizza as if it had come from a budget frozen food store.. The pizza was cold with some ham & tomato thrown on top. When we complained about this the staff were unwilling to help. Eventually they reheated the pizza to within an inch of its life. When we refused to pay for this poor quality food the best they could offer was a threat to call the police and abuse of my wife and I.
My advice - Avoid this hotel at all costs. There are far better places on Lake Como with "Real" Italian food served by staff who appreciate their customers.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank engineer56
Reviewed 5 August 2007

Some rooms do not have air-conditioning, just a portable fan. We liked this hotel and with the climate at the time we stayed there, lack of air conditioning was not an issue. In hotter times of year it could be. We had a room overlooking the ferry dock and for us noise was not ever an issue.

We found the desk staff to be courteous and helpful. The restaurant staff, though sometimes uncoordinated, were happy, helpful, friendly, cheerful and just generally amiable. We even liked the food they served, basic but not bad value for money.

We dined one night a the Hotel Florence and were disappointed by the lack of value for money.

We felt that being directly on the lake was a bonus. The rooms were perfectly adequate, bathrooms very good. Breakfast reasonable.

Would recommend as a good place in Bellaggio and would probably stay again.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple