“OUTSTANDING VALUE FOR MONEY, STILL THE BEST IN TOWN”
Review of Hotel Centrale

Hotel Centrale
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Bellagio
Reviewed 10 June 2009

Giacomo and his family continue to excel at Hotel Centrale. Service is kind, nothing is too much trouble, they are warm and welcoming and eager to ensure that your stay with them is enjoyable. The rooms are to the highest standards, fresh linen and towels every day and a thorough clean too, not just a cursory wipe around. If you are not sure what you would like to do in the area, Giacomo is only too pleased to suggest ideas, being honest at the same time about where is good to visit and where isn't. We had gone with teenage children who were treated with the same amount of respect as the rest of us adults which is something that doesn't happen in other places. The Hotel is well positioned between the front and the piazza in Bellagio, its steepish up the steps for those with joint issues but there are plenty of stopping places. Every time we have been to this beautiful part of the world, our experience is made all the more wonderful by the Hotel Centrale so thank you Giacomo and family yet again for helping create more fond memories.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel Centrale

Reviewed 6 June 2009

We arrived after a long train/boat journey from Venice to a very warm welcome and were shown to our room (101). I had requested a room with a terrace and it was a lovely flower filled terrace with a view of the lake through the narrow street below.

Giacomo and his family were very helpful and their recommendations for local restaurants were excellent.

Our stay in Bellagio was to celebrate my 50th Birthday and after returning from lunch on the day Giacomo presented us with Prosecco, fruit and a lovely rose which we sat on our terrace and enjoyed with our friends who were also staying at the hotel. Giacomo took a photograph which he has just emailed to me so I'll always have a reminder of the day and our stay in Bellagio.

This is a very lovely family run hotel with excellent and friendly service. Our room was very comfortable and kept spotlessly clean. We would certainly stay here again and can see why it is ranked number one on Tripadvisor.

3  Thank Teeba
Reviewed 5 June 2009

We showed up with a review from tripadvisor and no reservation at 9 pm on a Sunday night. The owners were very accomodating and within a short time we had a room, advice on where to park the car,and information on a place to have a drink and maybe get a bite to eat. We were settled for the night. The next morning breakfast was very good as we set out to check out the lake.We walked to the ferry and spent the day on the lake taking the ferry all over enjoying the beautiful weather and sights.When we got back to the hotel we asked about a good place to eat and boy did they give us a great choice San Giacomo.Everything was delicious my only advice is get there before 7pm if you do not like to wait the place is small and fills up quickly.The hotel was perfect for the amount of money they charge and like the owner said they have a spoonful view of the lake.We ended up staying 2 nights and would definitely return to this hotel the next time we are in Bellagio..

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2009

I can't say enough good things about this hotel and the management. It is very "pension style", quite basic, but none the worse for that. Very modern and clean and comfortable. Free internet, very central location

My wife and I had to cut short our visit from 2 days to one for personal reasons and although I was prepared to pay the 2 nights as per agreement, the hotel very graciously let me pay the 1 night only. Amazing customer service.

Bellagio is beautiful but at weekends can be very touristy. All the ferries unload lots of visitors throughout the day. However before 11 and after 7 it reverts to the beautiful lakeside town it is with nice waterfront restaurants.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank NeilandDoreen
Reviewed 13 May 2009

Just got back from 4 nights at Hotel Centrale. Wonderful value for money: excellent location (just a stones throw from the ferry), lovely good-sized room with glass doors opening to a pretty garden, clean and lovely furnishings, great sheets, good cleaning every day, great breakfast included and best of all was the service provided by the family who run the hotel. They could not have been kinder. When they found out I was departing very early in the morning they prepared a breakfast tray and left it in my room the night before. I also found Bellagio to be the most beautiful of all the areas in the Lake Como district. I was tossing up between staying here or Lake Como, and am so glad I decided on Bellagio - it is also more central to other towns on the lake and wont cost you so much or take so long to see the other towns on the lake as it would if you stay in Como.

3  Thank KinsellaLebanon
Reviewed 10 May 2009

It's amazing that so many people have a consistently positive and wonderful experience at Hotel Centrale, but it's absolutely true. I stayed here over a weekend and the overall experience of the worn, hotel, and locals was just spectacular. I think the key differentiating factor is Giacomo and his family... they are friendly, knowledgeable, helpful, and just wonderful people. In a small village/resort like Bellagio, I think it makes such a big difference when the hotel proprietors are so warm and family-like.

As reported before, rooms are simply appointed, clean, and comfortable. (Heh, I doubt you'll be spending too much time holed up in your room because there's just so many beautiful and fun things to do and ways to relax on Lake Como.) Water pressure, important to me, was very good, and the water was hot and the heated towel racks a nice plus. We had a room with a large, shared outdoor patio and a tiny sliver of a view to the lake. Breakfast wasn't outstanding but the espresso/cappuccinos were delicious and lovingly made by Giacomo's son.

Parking was a bit of a toss-up. We were in Bellagio over Italy labor day weekend so the entire area was packed. I ended up parking at the church for a little bit off-hour (can't really use it for long-term parking) and then at the paid lot by the ferry. I don't remember the exact cost but it was about EUR15 for 8am-8pm parking, as the "free" spots on the street were all taken up. If you're driving, I'd recommend that you don't even waste too much time looking for free spots because they're so scarce. Just pony up for the real parking and enjoy the rest of your time on the lake.

Hotel Centrale also had complimentary Internet access, which I think is a key differentiating factor these days. You never know how sometime might come up or when you need access for a little bit - even on vacation. It's nice to know high-speed access is availale at your hotel and they're not jacking you for EUR20+ a day like the bigger hotels.
If you're headed to Bellagio, definitely try and stay in Hotel Centrale. It's in a great location, owned by a lovely family, and you'll probably have as great a time as me and the many others in this forum.

3  Thank atourist00
Reviewed 9 May 2009

We enjoyed our two night stay at the Hotel Centrale in Bellagio after reading previous Trip Advisor reviews. Myself and two colleagues were on business in the Como area and decided to stay a bit further up the lake in Bellagio which is one of the most beautiful towns on Lake Como.

The Hotel Centrale is in a great location in Bellagio especially if arriving by ferry. If you have luggage it is a short walk from the ferry terminal up some fairly steep steps directly opposite the terminal.

There were a couple of disadvantages with the hotel as far as we were concerned:-

1) Breakfast - We had to get the 8.15am ferry to Como to attend an exhibition and unfortunately breakfast is from 8.30am - 10.30am which was too late for us. We asked at reception the night before if we could have breakfast at 7.30am but were told that this was not possible.

2) Payment - We tried to settle our bill by Visa debit card and were told that this was not acceptable for payment. Only credit cards are accepted.

All in all we had a very pleasant stay but we felt that the service could have been more accommodating as far as breakfast was concerned.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business