“Good value in Bellagio”
Review of Hotel Centrale

Hotel Centrale
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Bellagio
Reviewed 26 September 2009

We enjoyed our first trip to Lake Como, and the reasonable pricing of Hotel Centrale was welcome among the fairly high prices of everything else. We booked in advance via e-mail and got a double room for 110E per night. The hotel was not very hard to find from the ferry dock, but it is up a flight of steps, so if you are travelling with a lot of luggage, beware. My husband and I each had one carry-on rollerboard bag, and I huffed and puffed all the way up the steps.

The hotel has a very charming courtyard area, and is comfortable. Staff is very welcoming and helpful. The bedroom was quite spacious, as was the bathroom. The walls, however, were very thin so you can hear voices of other guests in the hallway or in adjacent rooms. Breakfast was adequate, with option of coffee, tea or cappuccino, juice, ham, cheese and rolls. There was also milk and cereal.

Overall, we found this to be a good place to stay. it was wonderful to stay in Bellagio!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 September 2009

We stayed for two nights in the Hotel Centrale which is just 60 steps up from the ferry's landing. It is a lovely boutique hotel, family owned and operated, complete with grape arbor and outdoor garden. Our room had a small balcony.

It is a perfect location, situated in the midst of shopping areas and nice restaurants (try Fontana Restaurant for pasta specials just a few steps away or Giacomo's for excellent fish). Easy to take the ferry to Varenna for a few hours.

Hotel had an adequate breakfast with fairly standard fare. My only concern with the hotel was that the vacationers left their room keys on top of the front desk as came and went. Security seemed fairly lax. There were some times that there was no one at the desk, though he/she could have been nearby.

Reviewed 3 September 2009

Bellagio was the first stop for us on a self guided tour of Italy. We booked all our hotel stays in Italy with the help of TripAdvisor ratings and with only one exception, they were spot on. We went through the booking craziness that is the voucher system, this isn't the hotel's fault, just very common in Europe. Once I received my voucher confirmation, I printed it and added it to my travel docs. About 1 week before my arrival, I called the hotel to confirm the booking. I did this for all my hotels in Italy as it gives you peace of mind (specially during the busy summer/vacation month). Now to the hotel:

Hotel Centrale is exactly that, it is centrally located in the town of Bellagio. We were within walking distance to everything. Within the first 2 hours we knew the town like the back of our hand. The hotel is a family run affair. Most of the staff speaks moderate English, a plus if your Italian is as bad as mine. Our room was on the 3rd floor, overlooking the entrance to the hotel courtyard. The room was a good size, the air conditioning worked well and it was clean throughout. The bed was a touch hard, but it was comfortable; they even had extra pillows and blankets in the wardrobe, nice! The bathroom was decent size too, again, by European standards with a large sink, toilette, bidet and a small shower. Forget bathtubs in Italy unless you are staying at a 4 or 5 star resort, even then it's hit or miss. The maid service was flexible to our sleep schedule, jut put the sign on the door and they come back after you leave your room. Also, the hotel does provide free internet, but our room was at the edge of their router's range so i would go to the balcony on the second floor with my laptop (the router is behind the plant on the second floor hallway, by the stairs).

I can see why this was voted traveler's choice for a "budget" hotel in Bellagio. We were there to explore Bellagio and the towns across the lake, swimming in Lake Como and enjoying good wine and food at night. This hotel is perfect for that, it gave us a comfortable, inviting place to crash for an afternoon nap and to recharge for the next day. Could you get resort accomodations in Bellagio? Sure, at a significant cost premium and maybe only worth it if you are going to lounge in your room most of the day. I recommend Hotel Centrale without hesitation.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lonepalmflyer
Reviewed 1 September 2009

Having stayed in the Centrale in June, my first reaction was that I was not all misguided by the various people who awarded it the highest accolades. I have recommended it to many people where they will sample the wonderful personal service provided by Giacomo and his family. It was so nice to have someone run the hotel who had a long family connection with both the hotel and the town. His stories of the places and people around the area were both interesting and amusing.

I read 'Warsaw's' comments and it is sad that he didn't see the experience quite as we, and the vast majority of other travellers to the hotel, did. It is odd for him to recommend other hotels when he hasn't stayed there, or complain about not being registered, even when the hotel did apparently find him a room. I guess the real test of a hotel is how they deal with a situation, when something doesn't exactly work out. It was a bit rude, however, to suggest that they needed to be taken over by a bigger hotel group. For me this misses the whole point about the Centrale - its personal touch!

I guess the World is a big place and everyone can never be pleased, but we had a wonderful time and will return again sometime.

I would have no hesitation in recommending the hotel. It is a true personal, family experience on Lake Como.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2009

We stayed just one night in the hotel and the price was perfect in a very touristy area. The hotel is small and quaint and the staff was friendly. The location of the hotel is excellent, right in the middle of town and close to the pier. Breakfast was simple, but nice in a room with lots of windows.

We had a room on the second floor with a terrace, however the terrace is very small and there was only one chair, but we did not spend much time in our room anyway. The rooms are very simple, but clean and as the hotel is not so expensive, it was a good value for the price. The only drawback is that the walls are very thin and everything can be heard, so if sleeping is a big deal and the neighbors happen to be noisy, ear plugs would be good to bring along.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights in August 2009 as part of driving tour of Italy and Austria. We are two adults and a 6yr old daughter.

I think it is a little misleading for this hotel to be #1 in Bellagio. What it is, is a relatively cheap, decent enough, family run hotel. There's no question you can find better hotels in Bellagio but you might be paying €100 a night extra, obviously a lot more than that in Villa Serbelloni. Having said that, we checked the prices of the hotel Metrople that stands right on the lake and their prices were not that much more than the Centrale. No idea how good the place is though. The Belvedere for example, currently #2 on the list, appears to be far better but with an associated higher cost. So, you need to take the reviews here with a pinch of salt, this hotel is okay for the price in what seems to be an expensive resort, not much more than that - in our opinion.

Watch out when booking. We had a mail saying we should send credit card details to "confirm" the booking. We did that and yet when we arrived we did not have a room and were not expected. The problem is with their "voucher" system that seems to be a bit erratic. A voucher number is essential and without that you don't have a room, even if they have credit card details. We were not sent a voucher and did not see it is important as we had already "confirmed" the booking, so we thought. We were wrong. They quickly dealt with the problem, fortunately, but this resulted in us sleeping three in a bed for the first night and possibly never getting the room we should have had having booked well in advance.

I'd say in general, everything about this hotel was adequate but could be better. The only staff aside from cleaners are the family. This is nice and personal but does mean that levels of service can only ever be as good as the family can handle. This hotel "could be" an excellent small hotel in a great location in Bellagio but it needs investment, imagination and possibly fresh blood & ideas. I think it needs either buying by a hotel investor or handing over to the younger generation of the family along with a large bank loan.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank WarsawScatts
Reviewed 9 August 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Centrale for part of our honeymoon and loved it. The rooms were clean and nice, and the hotel had several very enjoyable common areas. There is a beautiful terrace on the roof of the second floor and a nice courtyard at the entrance. The staff wads extremely helpful and the owner was very friendly and had lots of good advice to offer. The location is very nice, just 62 steps above the main road that borders the water and less that a 5 minute walk from the ferry. All in all, this was my favourite hotel from the entire trip. HIGHLY RECOMENDED!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple