“Good value hotel with lake views”
Review of Hotel Bellagio

Hotel Bellagio
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Bellagio
Reviewed 16 July 2008

We chose this hotel due to its reasonable price in a resort where hotels can command higher than usual rates and the fact that they still offered lake views. We were told that we were being offered a partial lake view but when we arrived, we had a wonderful view of the lake from the bedroom window. As we were on the 1st floor, there were just a couple of rooftops here and there in front of us which didn't really impede the view. The rooms are very modern and clean with a really nice bathroom and good shower. The reception team are very helpful if you need to know anything. My one complaint about the room was that we were given two single beds pushed together which kept moving apart and the mattrassses were quite hard. I slept well on them as I like hard beds but my fiancee found it a struggle to fall asleep on them.
The hotel has a sweet roof terrace with loungers where you can sunbathe with a view facing in towards the mountains rather than the lake. There is a strong sound from an airc-onditioning machine up there but I found I could ignore it with a good book.
My top tips are: from the UK, fly to Milan Bergamo airport as it is so near the lakes (we flew Ryanair and had no hitches at all). Get the train from Bergamo to Varenna and then catch the boat to Bellagio, it's definitely the fastest way and such a beautiful approach into Bellagio by boat.
There is a pebble beach in San Giovanni up the road from Bellagio if you want to swim in the lake. This is a different village and approx a 25 min walk up and down hill. It is easier and quicker to get a boat there. The beach has sun loungers for hire and a great little bar. Swimming in the lake is amazing, so fresh and clean!
A must-do trip is to visit the Villa Balbiennello. Take a boat to Lenno and then a water taxi around to the Villa. It is one of the most stunning places I have ever been to in my life with incredible views of all sides of the lake. This villa is so beautiful that it has been featured in both a James Bond and a Star Wars movie. We don't recommend you go to Tremezzo as it has a busy road running through it which disturbs the calm of the lakeside town and not much to offer.
Top restaurants: try Baba Yagar (not sure how to spell) in Bellagio for amazing pizzas and try the Saltimbocca alla Romana in the restaurant with a beautiful ivy covered terrace just off the main street with steps going up the hill with all the shops (forgotten name). If you can, visit Lake Como outside of July and August as big thunderstorms are common during that time but it is wonderful when sunny.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Doylie

Reviewed 28 June 2008

First off, Bellagio is a magical place that is a perfect romantic get away. The Hotel Bellagio is in a prime location just steps ( albeit multiple...) down to the lake and ferry.
There are numerous good restaurants a stone's throw from your door.
We had a beautiful room with a view that was more than adequate. The hotel has a boutique feel to it. certainly more modern than most with a great bathroom and modern touches. One of the nice perks is you have pool access for 10 euro a person at the Bellagio Sport Club. we went for an afternoon, and it's a great place full of locals.
However, the free shuttle service is a bit sporadic and a bit of a mystery. Which brings me to the negatives: This hotel still needs to tweak a few things before it can truly be proud of the prices they charge. The staff is well..mostly checked out. Either literally or figuratively. We felt often we were but a mere nuisance in their midst. Always professional but aloof and uninterested. The air-conditioning is maintained by the desk and a few times ( no later than 11:00pm)we called to have the temp lowered but no one answered the front desk. Also, we never saw a bellman, ever.
And, yes, it's a hike up the steps with luggage.
None of this would steer me away, necessarily but, when we were looking around we found these GREAT apartments for rent nearby called the Borgo Apartments. Half the price of the hotel per night with a full kitchen, really modern and beautiful.
You need to stay at least three nights, though.
All in all, this hotel is great. They just need a more attentive and friendly staff.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Panarosmith
Reviewed 23 June 2008

Big rooms, great location (yet Bellagio is small). Quite a hike with luggage up 30 or so stairs to the hotel. If driving, ask in advance for the code to enter business district with car (controlled access). Rooms have AC. We had a lake view… wonderful. Hotel has free wireless internet but you have to go to the sister Hotel Du Lac (only in their lobby/bar area). It is a very short walk to Du Lac. For dinner, definitely talk the short walk to La Punta restaurant at Punta Spartivento. Great food and incredible view. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 3 June 2008

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights and absolutely loved it! The hotel is a boutique hotel up a flight of stairs. Right in the middle of town. We are so glad we stayed here instead of in Como. Bellagio is a cute, quaint town with lots of small streets and this hotel fits right in. We weren't able to get a lake view room but we still loved it. The rooms were clean and the hotel was modern. We lost our luggage at the beginning of our trip and the staff was extremely helpful dealing with the airlines and locating our bags. The breakfast was super tasty and the service was great. Don't miss this wonderful find in such an amazing city!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2008

We stayed in room #201, which was smaller than I would have liked, but it had a balcony and a pleasant view of Bellagio and Lake Como.

The room was tastefully decorated. Housekeeping was good, and breakfast was satisfying and it was served in a pleasant room.

Staff members were detached and indifferent, as though they would rather not deal with tourists (their only customers).

Were we to return to Bellagio, we would probably stay there again and specify that we want a room on the 3rd floor with a balcony.

We had too good meals at Trattoria San Giacomo.

Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed 29 May 2008

We booked this hotel via email with the hotel directly. This took a little while to sort as they were a bit slow on the response but better than to phone as my Italian is non existent!

We arrived at the hotel late in the day after a long drive and I ran in to find out where my allocated parking space that I had booked was. The girl gave me directions but asked us to check in and leave the bags first as it was a little bit of a walk. We did this and then went to park the car. We couldnt get into the garage so after a bit of mucking around I rang the hotel and the receptionist said oh thats right you need the clicker! We were furious as we had to go all the way back for it and then when we got it she didnt even apologise! So it was a bad start.

A quick note on those steps, they really arent bad at all. All of Bellagio is hilly and a few steps is nothing really. If you struggle with your walking then Bellagio probably isnt the best choice for you.

The room we had, we were told had no lake view but when we got upstairs and I opened the blinds we had a lovely side view of the lake and a small balcony to the rear. The room was really nice and the shower was excellent albeit a bit of a squeeze to get into!

Breakfast was included, but was a bit poor really. On the first day we went to breakfast and the staff didnt so much as acknowledge our existence so we had to carry on a little perplexed. On offer was croissents, bread rolls, yogurts, cereal and fruit. It was sufficient but nothing too exciting. The next day the staff were better asking if wanted special coffee making etc but the food was the same.

The location of this hotel is excellent, you are a stone throw from the lake and Bellagio is a beautiful little village with a good selection of bars, hotels and restaurants.

As with all reviews its all down to personal taste. If I found myself back in Bellagio I would quite happily book this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2008

My Wife and I stayed here in March of this year.The hotel is newly refurbished to the highest standards.The Staff were more than friendly and very helpful.All we can say is that we look forward to staying here again.The food was excellent and the rooms are exceptional.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bellagio
Hotel Du Lac
#2 of 8 in Tremezzina
Royal Victoria
Royal Victoria
#2 of 6 in Varenna

Been to Hotel Bellagio? Share your experiences!