“Great value choice in Bellagio”

Albergo Giardinetto
Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Bellagio
Reviewed 9 July 2011

+ Reasonable room rates (especially compared to other options in Bellagio)
+ Our room - room 20 - had a small balcony where you could glimpse the lake over the houses
+ Friendly owners
+ Quiet location, 5-10mins uphill from the lakeside, plenty of shops and eating options nearby
- Room became quite hot as the sun shone directly in it during the afternoon and there was no air conditioning or fan to cool it down
- We travelled light but it could be hard work to access with a lot of luggage

Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SJ88

Reviewed 17 July 2010

This is a good budget hotel, although it is not fancy at all. I had a single room that is just a bed, shower, toilet, sink and wardrobe, but it was clean and functional. For the price I didn’t expect air conditioning so the heat wave in Bellagio while I was there kept me out of the room during the day. My room also had a tiny balcony while made it feel larger.
There is a large terrace/garden with tables and chairs so guests can bring food, play cards, read books, whatever, outdoors.

The hotel is on the highest street from the lakeside (maybe 5-6 blocks) and then a flight of stairs up from the street so it is very quiet (unless church bells keep you awake). Rooms are 1-2 flights up from the terrace and office level, so this is not a good choice for travelers with lots of luggage or difficulty in climbing stairs.

If you need or want amenities, this is not the place for you. But if you simply want a clean, convenient place to close your eyes, it’s a great bargain.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Feistygal
Reviewed 23 October 2009

Granted, this was probably the cheapest place in Bellagio. The rooms were simple but very clean. I had the single, which was very small. My friends had a double facing the courtyard. The family that runs the place had some very loud arguments with the young girl of the family really carrying on. It was very disruptive to their stay. Fortunately, my room was no where near the noise. The steps really are an issue, getting the luggage up from the ferry. If you're going here, travel light. We didn't take the breakfast, there were plenty of cafes and markets nearby for fruit or yogurt.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank GlenSpeyguy
Reviewed 17 September 2009

If you are looking for a nice, clean and inexpensive hotel in Bellagio, then this is it!

There is nothing flash about this family run hotel, just very simple, but it does boast a great location within Bellagio, close to shops, restaurants and ferry. When I say close, Im talking about 50 metres to shops/ restaurants and 250 metres down the hill to the ferry.

The room we stayed in was a comfortable size, with a small dining table and bathroom with bath. I would suggest the best rooms are 18, 19 and 20 as these have slight views of the lake and mountains, a small sunny balcony with a couple of chairs.

We bought beautiful homemade meals from the local minimarket (which they heated for us), and sat some nights watching the sunset from the balcony and others under the grapevine in the garden. Just beautiful.

The hotel is up quite a few stairs from the ferry taking around 3-4 minutes. We arrived in Bellagio by ferry from Como town, after a great scenic boat trip which takes around 2 hours but well worth it. (can be done faster on the fast ferries.) Once settled in Bellagio, we bought tourist mid-lake ferry tickets (about 11 euros each), which ment we could travel by boat all day around Lake Como to around 6 destinations including Menaggio, Cadenabbia, Verenna, Tremezzo and Bellagio.

Bellagio is a perfect destination and the Albergo Giardinetto great little place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank UkOnholiday
Reviewed 31 July 2008

We first stayed at the Albergo Giardinetto in September 1974. It was a cooler season than usual and in the mornings we delighted in holding the large cups of coffee with additional heated milk in a little pitcher nearby.
I remember the hollow breakfast rolls which I believe are still served along with butter and jam. We share many fond memories of this visit as well as the twentry more visits to come through the years.
This hotel with its simple rooms, some with balconys, is situated against the hillside in the magical village of Bellagio. I have many photographs of the nearby clock tower as well as the roof tops of neighboring houses overlooking Lake Como. Although some visits have been as early as June the majority of times spent in Bellagio have been in September. As I write this it is about time for me to reserve one of our favorite rooms in this well regarded little gem of a hotel in my favorite country forever...Italy.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank FISHOW
Reviewed 29 June 2008

I stayed for six nights and the rate was by far more reasonable than other hotels in the area. I would recommend this hotel whether travelling solo or with someone. The staff is friendly and helpful but not in your face, they are accommodating and go out of their way to ensure you’re comfortable. There is a nice vine covered terrace where you’re welcome to bring your own food and dine alfresco. They do lock the front gate at midnight so make sure to ask for a key when checking in. I had a lovely single room with a small balcony overlooking some gardens and if I peeked around the corner, a nice view of the lake. It was accessible to everything – shops, restaurants, ferries, internet point, wine bars. It was also one of the most relaxing and restful places I stayed anywhere in Italy. The hotel is located at the top of the hill and there are a lot of stairs on the property so if that’s an issue, this is not the place for you. If you like wine, check out http://www.cavaturacciolo.it/home.jsp and say hi to Norberto and Maria.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo
4  Thank sfgirl48
Reviewed 26 January 2008

What a wonderful little hotel - with a fantastic price tag considering the location. We stayed in room 18 (had been recently renovated) and the room had its' own patio with a view (albiet very slight) of the lake.

The owner was quite pleasant - he and his sister run the establishment - and actually took a check as a deposit (they give away the room if you aren't there by 4 or 5 and we knew we wouldn't be so wanted to make sure he held the room).

Breakfast is available for a fee each morning under the grape vines on the patio.

It is right in the middle of Bellagio so you can walk down to the lake and to shops and restaurants quite easily. There are many steps to climb, so if you have difficulty walking, this is not the place for you.

Another tip - to drive through the town to get to the hotel, you must pass through a gated entrance. Make sure you get the code from the owner before you get there. We had to wait until another car went through so we could pass. The street looks more like a walkway than a road (at least if you are used to American roads) but don't fear, cars really are allowed.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple