“Good location & rooms, some noisy though”

Hotel Barchetta Excelsior
Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Como
melbourne
“Good location & rooms, some noisy though”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

Just spent 4 nights there with my wife. Booked a double with lake view. Were given a lovely large room 102 on the front corner of the first floor. We thought it was great as it had windows in two sides. Also had fold out bed in couch which like lots of these are ok for a bed but collapse so much impossible to sit on. Separate wardrobe room with safe and large bathroom, bit dated but ok. Place was clean and looked after well during our stay. However at 6pm next morning we thought buses were driving through our bedroom with their radios blaring. It happened that opposite the hotel is the major central bus stop for the old town and they start at 6am. Also the walls are so thin you can hear all the TV's from other rooms also loud voices. It's not noticeable until you try to sleep. Windows are double glazed but I guess building structure just let's sound travel. I would guess if you are at the back or on a higher floor outside noise will not be so much of an issue. Suggestion would be to avoid lower floor. Hotel is in great position opposite lake and boats, railway station to milan 2 minute walk as is the vehicular railway. On the edge of the old town with shops, restaurants and bars. The hotel breakfast is good and hotel now seems to have free wifi after lots of previous complaints I guess. At least I managed to connect in to a service without a password for the whole stay. Restaurant is top food, small menu but really first class and really actually cheap for what you get compared to the touristy places outside. One tip avoid WHY not bar out the front of the hotel as they have rip of cover charge €4.50 and then stil charge for bread. Parking off site €15 day. Would stay here again but only if I was not on first floor based on position. It's a good 3 star I don't see 4 stars especially not based on noise.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank emelian
gmbarchetta, Direttore at Hotel Barchetta Excelsior, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Guest,
thank you for your recent review. I hope your stay was pleasant with us at the Barchetta Excelsior. Sorry to hear about the noise in the morning. Normally our rooms on the higher floors guarantee complete silence as the window fittings are brand new and soundproof.
At the time of your stay we were fully booked and therefore unable to accomodate you on
the upper floors.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the future,
The manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
amsterdam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights. Rooms with a lake view are awesome. Location is perfect. On a square with some restaurants and right opposite the lake where the ferries take off. Dinner at the bistro was top notch and of course the staff was one of the friendliest I have met. Would stay here again.

Stayed March 2014
3 Thank happypeopleAmsterdam
gmbarchetta, Direttore at Hotel Barchetta Excelsior, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Guest,
thank you very much for your great review regarding your stay at the Barchetta Excelsior.
What can I say? I totally agree!
I will gladly share your compliments with my cherished team and I hope to welcome you
back very soon.
Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

Our first room was disappointing being at the back (and still fairly noisy) but clean and a reasonable size. We requested a move to the front of the hotel to a (more expensive) room with a balcony for the second and third nights of our stay and this was managed well by the friendly and professional staff. Location is great overlooking the Lake and it seemed that most of the bus services stop outside the hotel. Breakfast was slightly disappointing (e.g. no museli) but quite adequate. Dinner was a very good standard but we thought expensive. Not sure if we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front (for the view) and high up (to reduce the noise from the square). This...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brian65
gmbarchetta, Direttore at Hotel Barchetta Excelsior, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear Guest,
thank you for your review. Your compliments are greatly appreciated as also your comments, that will enable us to improve our services. Please note that during your stay,
breakfast was served at the Bistrò as a temporary measure, due to the refurbishment of
our lake-view breakfast parlour on the first floor. Therefore our rich buffet maybe lacked
a few items that are normally available. Service has now resumed in our renovated
breakfast room. Our delicious buffet awaits you!
Hoping to welcome you back in the future,
The Manager
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

This hotel is in a wonderful location, close to the lake overlooking a piazza. We had a lakeside view in a very comfortable room with balcony. Not sure the AC would work very well in the summer, but we slept with the balcony door open so no problem other than noise emanating late at night from the piazza (revellers). The staff is very welcoming and accommodating. Wifi is free in the public areas but you had to pay if you wanted to use it in your room. There was a PC available in the lobby for use, again you had to pay. Problem was the connection is dreadful – I demanded my wifi fee back as I could not even keep a connection to check-in a flight. Breakfast is ok but nothing special. Room rate was adequate for the location, but I feel the hotel really needs to step its game up a little more.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Malim27
gmbarchetta, Direttore at Hotel Barchetta Excelsior, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Guest,
thank you for your recent review regarding your stay at the Hotel Barchetta Excelsior. Your compliments regarding our service and welcoming staff are greatly appreciated and I will
gladly share your appraisal with my team. For fellow readers, please be informed that our
air-co system is new (March 2013) and is fully functional in the summer. We are currently
working on a free wi-fi project that will soon be available for our guests. The existing wi-fi
is very good and the connection is perfect.
Breakfast is also very good and usually served in our lake view restaurant on the first floor.
During your stay this room was being completely renovated and therefore breakfast was
served in the Bistrò restaurant on the ground floor with a slightly smaller buffet.
Normal service will resume within the end of this week.
Manager
Brighton, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

A recent stay here was very good. The rooms have been remodeled since my last stay here and mine was very large and clean. The staff is friendly and helpful with suggestions about the city. Unfortunately I am unsure if I will stay here next time in Como because of the very expensive internet access for which you must pay by the hour.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of the lake have a nice balcony, ask for the 6th floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
thank you very much for your kind review. I am very pleased to read you had a great stay with us at the Barchetta Excelsior. Your compliments regarding the excellent service are greatly appreciated and I will proudly share them with my team.
Please do not hesitate returning in the future due to the expensive wi-fi internet access.
We will be very pleased to surprise you on your next stay.
Looking forward to welcoming you back soon,
Hk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

Excellent view,Perfectly Located for visiting the Old Town,shopping and dining.Also near to the shore that u can hv a nice boatride with just a few steps of walking to the pier. Wifi is everywhere downstairs of the hotel.Nicely maintained Bathroom.Staffs r super helpful and courteous,wz a smile! And there is a bus stop just downstairs,so so convenient. We took a bus no. 1 to Ciasso of Swizerland,20 mins ride.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh

gmbarchetta, Direttore at Hotel Barchetta Excelsior, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear Guest,
thank you very much for your kind review. I am very pleased to know that you had a great stay with us at the Barchetta Excelsior and I will gladly share your appraisal with my team.
Your compliments are highly appreciated.
Hope to welcome you back in the near future,
Quebec City, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

Hotel Barchetta Excelsior is a mid-range hotel where the staff is friendly and very accommodating. The rooms, which have views of the beautiful Lake Como, are expensive but properly managed despite the age of the building. Internet access is limited and very expensive. The breakfasts are good. However, the evening meals were excellent and the service in the restaurant-bar is high quality. We appreciated that the hotel is located near the historic center of Como. And what about all these great shops that blend this high quality Italian decor.
L’Hotel Barchetta Excelsior est un hotel de gamme moyenne où le personnel est chaleureux et très accommodants. Les chambres, qui ont la vue sur le merveilleux lac de Côme, sont chères mais correctement aménagées malgré l’âge du bâtiment. L'accès internet est limité et très dispendieux. Les petits déjeuners sont bons. Par contre, les repas du soir sont excellents et le service du restaurant-bar est de haute qualité. Nous avons appréciés que l'hotel se situe aux abords du centre historique de Côme. Et que dire de toutes ces superbes boutiques qui s'intègrent harmonieusement à ce décor italien de grande qualité.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
thank you for your recent review. I am very happy to read that you greatly appreciated our friendly service. I will gladly share your thoughts with my cherished staff members.
Personally I would consider the Barchetta Excelsior as top-range in comparison with our
competitors in the city and definitely not expensive. I do however respect your opinion.
Manager