“Tre Cento - Super fantastico”

Albergo Terminus Hotel
Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in Como
New York City, New York
“Tre Cento - Super fantastico”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Room 300.
The only room that Faces the lake - a double window. The PRIVATE terrace is larger than the room.

I have stayed at this hotel over the last two years, over a dozen times and each time found something wonderful and special I had not noticed before. The team knows me by name or at least, by face and I am greeted like visiting Royalty - so please understand that as you read my glowing review.

We started in room 204 - the Jewel Box - It is small and faces the courtyard but when you close the long silk drapes at night - well it is still my favorite.

We have faced the Piazza Cavour, where the Ferry and all activity occurs. This is a great perch to watch the sun fade over the mountain and reflect on the lake. This room was so wonderful that I got nothing done in Como as I just wanted to play in the bathtub.

Most recently, we had a hotel emergency and needed a last minute stay - Room 300.
I had no idea this existed and will request it going forward. It was raining on our evening but we still got to enjoy a private drink on our private terrace with our private umbrella.

The Breakfast team, led by Grace, is the best in the city. Always there with a beautiful and welcoming smile - and an engaged team to help you start your day.

The Bar Terme team - an terrific restaurant that has the most splendid outdoor space. I love it in the winter when there are just 15 tables and you MUST book to get in - even when you are staying in the hotel as it is just that fabulous. And the wine list and the Osso Buco. So many great dishes on the menu that I love going night after night.

The location - fantastico! Two minute NYC walk from the Como train station. A cab ride to the other train station I believe it's called Santa Anna. Ferry is a three minute walk - I'm giving you time to check out the new fountain in Piazza Cavour. Buses and Taxi's there too. Five minute walk to the Brunate Funiculare - unless you stop to feed the ducks and swans - add 5.
You are just in front of the lake - separated by the main road - and some current construction.

Front desk - I tend to stampede a hotel with requests, needs and confusion. It starts with "where can I get" and ends with "do you have." I have yet to stump this team. My Italian is dramatic with no nouns - so we work in their English. From airport pick ups to lost luggage retrieval to hot flash solutions to hospital visit (yes), they have been incredibly helpful.

This is a small hotel and the breakfast room is a wonderful gathering spot where friendships develop.
I have been known to settle into a book in the front lobby and on the second floor. If someone from Bar Terme sees me in the grand room, sometimes I have a cocktail or two with my reading - especially if it's raining.

I will be back....later this month....hoping to get room 300 on a sunny day!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Stylelust

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Our experience at Albergo Terminus was very disappointing. Started with uninterested staff at the front desk, followed by a very small room that overlooked an alley way (despite being a superior room with lake views). The room, and the hotel in general, is in need of a refurbishment, with old wall paper, very little sunlight, tiny bathroom and no cupboard space.

Our bathroom was fitted out for persons with special needs and, while I am very pleased to see that the hotel caters for all persons, this was inappropriate for us since our son (whom the hotel was aware was a guest) could not reach the heightened toilet. Furthermore, the pillows were the worst that I have ever laid my head on.

The breakfast offering was poor, without toast and barely any fresh fruit, such that we did not bother after the first day. The only real positives of the hotel was its location on the shore of Lake Como, its beautiful exterior and the outside dining area. My recommendation is to find an alternative hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Wes C
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We ended our two week Italy vacation in Lake Como at this hotel. We had expected a 4 star hotel complete with outstanding service. Well all I can say is that the breakfast and breakfast staff were great. Upon arrival, we found out the hotel upgraded our three separate rooms to the family suite. All excited to be together, we found that our room was on the top floor of the adjourning building which contained all offices except our "suite". After arriving at our room, we asked for some help with the air conditioning. We were told someone would come and explain everything. No one came. The next day I asked for more pillows, I was told their colleagues would bring some, they never came. The worst part of this room was the third bedroom which had just a pullout couch. We did not realize this until it was time for bed. The pull out couch was horrible for two 6' teenagers who experienced back problems as a result. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Donna M
Chicago
Reviewed 8 July 2014

On a two week vacation through northern Italy during which we did not stay anywhere more than two nights, this was--by far--the least-impressive hotel of the bunch, in addition to being one of the more expensive ones. I am not sure how the hotel has received even the good reviews that it has, and this is the only review I'm writing for the whole trip, to warn others. The front desk staff was clueless and barely spoke english. The breakfast was subpar--think canned peaches and cheap cheese--and the only upside was that the (all-Philippino) service staff were very cheerful. The room was the worst we stayed in on our entire trip, and we even spent for the "superior" room. Upon reaching our room, which looked out on an alley full of dumpsters, we inquired if indeed it was "superior"--the answer we got was that it was not on the ground floor, and so it was (!). Few of the hotel's rooms have a decent view, as far as we could tell (and as noted in reviews). The "elegant lobby" in the pictures is much smaller than it appears and we never saw anyone at all in it, as it, too, is rather dark and uninviting. "Hotel Terminus" became a little joke between me and my girlfriend after the trip, because it ended up being as drab an experience as it sounds. Room was small, stuffy, and dark. The toiletries were nice, though. If you have any choice, and certainly if you have a car, try elsewhere. Do not be misled by the pictures; the (rather odd) shape of the hotel means that most rooms do not have a view.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
singapore
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Great location,helpful front of house staff, good breakfasts, efficient housekeeping service and comfortable rooms......the room we had (212) is close to street level however, has service entrances within metres and is very close to the popular (it would seem) bar - as a result we found it hard to enjoy our room in the evenings, so suggest one asks for a better room location. While staff in the hotel were great, we did however find the staff at the adjoining restaurant unpleasant and the food basic, plenty of other options in the streets behind the hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Our room 409 was small and didn't have a view like the ones we saw on the internet, but it was very clean, beds were very very good, the a/c work great. Breakfast was excellent! The staff was very very helpful with all the activities and restaurants around town. Is a lovely place to come back.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I stayed at the Albergo Terminus in Como for four days in May. It was an anniversary present from my husband, so I didn’t know what to expect until we arrived. The Hotel is typically traditional, located next to the town square and right on the lake front. The reception staff were friendly and helpful, and arranged our transfers to and from Milan Malpensa airport in a very smart chauffeur driven car. We stayed in room 325, a deluxe double, which was quite large and very clean, with a big marble bathroom, a walk in shower and double Jacuzzi bath. It all appeared to have been recently refurbished. It had a four poster bed and the window looked out to the lake and over the square with a number of cafes. The only odd part about the room was that it had a new kitchenette between the bathroom and the bedroom, but there wasn’t anything you could use by way of crockery, cutlery or a kettle, so I’m not sure who it would be for. There was a minibar with enough room to put your own drinks. We used this for our milk, as we always take a kettle and tea bags just in case. Opposite the kitchenette was a large floor to ceiling wardrobe with ample hanging space and a safe. We didn’t experience any noise from the square, and only a small amount of road noise as people started going to work, but a bit of local noise adds to the character of the place, so it didn’t bother us.

Breakfast was a fairly basic continental offering, but there was plenty to eat and we didn’t have to wait for a table. The breakfast room staff were polite, friendly and attentive. The ideal position of the Hotel means that everything is easily accessible. There are cafes and restaurants minutes away, and the dock for trips up and around the lake is next to the Hotel, and two minutes walk from the front door.

We booked the Hotel through Expedia and flew with BA from Heathrow. With the arranged transfers and the e mail contact my husband had with the Ladies on reception everything went very smoothly. We had a lovely stay at the Albergo Terminus, which was helped by the beautiful weather. I would recommend the Hotel to anyone intending to stay in Como, but would suggest its worth paying a little bit more and requesting a deluxe double room.

Room Tip: We stayed in a deluxe double room, which overlooked the lake and square. Would recommend this room