“Unforgettable Memories”

Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Como
Niagara Falls, New York
“Unforgettable Memories”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

My recent stay at the Palace Hotel was one of the best hotel stays I have ever had. My family and I stayed for a full week and we were truly enchanted by the magic the Lakes of Como offered. We were treated like family by all of the hotel staff. They always greeted us with smiles and did above and beyond for us. Upon check - in the general manager had left us a whole display of fruit! It was the perfect touch to a perfect room. The hotel staff was also extremely knowledgable, they knew very good English and were able to direct the hotel guests with ease around the surrounding city and lake. The on site restuarant and Garden Bar were very nice as well. Also upon arrival they offered a free drink at the Garden Bar Ceccatto! It was perfect for me and my family to be able to sit for a welcome cocktail overlooking the water. They also were very accomodating for my sister and her husband staying in another room with my 7 month old nephew, they even before my family arrived had the crib set up and ready to go for my sister so that he could take a nap or play after taking a long flight. The thing that stands The Palace apart from all other hotels is the spectacular staff. They are truly the "cream of the crop" If I could recommend a hotel to one of my friends or family it would definetly be the Palace Hotel. They are truly a one of a kind hotel and a one of a kind staff. If I could recommend a place to visit and stay while in Italy it would have to be Lake Como at the Palace Hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
gmpalaceComo, Direttore at Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Guest,
WOW !!! You've said it all.... there's nothing I can add other than THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!
Hope to welcome you back to the Palace Hotel in the future.
General manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

We arrived at the hotel at 8.30pm after a long day of travelling. Checked in, asked for lake view room - which attracted a 30 euro supplement and then charged 5 euros for internet for 30 minutes, we discovered that Como roving internet is free!!!Desperate for food and drink, sent over to bar with promise of free drink but it was closed at 8.50pm, supposedly open until 12 midnight!! This is Italy where Italians don't start eating until 8.30/9pm!! No other bars available so went into town where everything else was open!! After a poor start our lake view room - view fabulous but small no tea and coffee facilities, only one bed side table so I had to put my phone, clock and book on the floor. Double wardrobe but too short for ANY dresses!! Also only one drawer each for underwear, shirts, everything. The bathroom was good with quality cosmetics. Cleaners did not fully clean bathroom.
Breakfast - very good in beautiful period room.
Dinner with friends - bbq good, especially the fish but overloud singer ruined our evening, we couldn't converse and so we sat outside in the cold! However bar manager tried to charge us 90 euros for a bottle of Barolo which we hadn't ordered! We felt he knew what he was doing because he remembered from the previous two nights that we had 17 euro bottle of wine! We strongly refused to pay which nearly ruined our evening and he reduced the bill to 17 euros. So check your bill very carefully in the bar because others we discovered had suffered similar fates.
Simone and ladies on reception were very efficient, Simone being the most friendly and courteous and not arrogant.
Reception decor was fabulous as was breakfast room but corridors and rooms were bland and dated.
Thankfully we didn't have a car as it was 15 euros a day to park. Friends brought their dog which attracted a 20 euro supplement!
Wonderful position but very money grabbing with minimal service.

Room Tip: Lake view is wonderful but room is very small.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
gmpalaceComo, Direttore at Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you for your recent review. I am sorry to read about the inconveniences you reported, on the other hand I am pleased you found most of our staff and services efficient.
Regarding the incident about the bottle of Barolo, I must clear the situation for fellow readers. One of the guests at your table did INDEED order a bottle of Barolo and the price is clearly stated on the wine list. I undertsand you were against this decision having preferred a cheaper bottle of wine. Only after having enjoyed and completely finishing the Barolo did you complain about the price. Our head waiter recognised your party as regular guests and for this reason only did he agree to reduce the price. I find it unfair to label us as a "money grabbing hotel" . It is also untrue, as all our prices are clearly leggible on all our menus.
Sorry about the volume of the music, but the BBQ is advertised with "live music" and with no surcharge.
Best regards,
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

Stayed three nights in August 2013. Grand old hotel in great location for ferries on the lake, shops, restaurants and lakeside walks.Very helpful and friendly front desk staff but breakfast room staff were just going about their jobs with little enthusiasm. Good breakfast in lovely old world room. Stayed on the second floor in a nicely refurbed room and had great lake views.Limited attractive in-house dining options due to current works on the road in front of the hotel.Had to pay for WiFi - a no no these days. Hotel was recommended by friends and we would also recommend this hotel on the beautiful Lake Como

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbed room with lake views on the second floor - it would be a shame to be in como and...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Symposia555
Elia B, Reservation Manager at Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Dear Guest,

thanks for your recent review. I'll be pleased to share your compliments with the staff at the front desk and I personally apologize if you felt the service of our waiters being unsatisfactory: we receive a lots of compliments for our breakfast service, as cherished readers can see from other reviews, but we respect your opinion and I'm sure that my colleagues will improve the quality of the service we daily offer.
Works on the lakeside, that are due to structural problems under the bridge, are proceeding and we count that the Council of Como will finish them by mid-October 2013.
We all hope to welcome you back and we invite you to visit our website, where you can be find special promotions and offers.

Best regards

Elia Boschini
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

We stayed at Palace Hotel at the end of August 2013 in a family room with two kids. Great room, great service, great breakfast. Parking is 15 euros a day, but that's the price you pay if you have a rental car and move around Italy. Location is great, stuff very helpful. And thank you to Marcello from the reception, my 6 years old daughter Marcella is still in love with you. Your friendliness and way with kids was great.

Room Tip: If you have kids book the family room.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

thanks for your recent review.
I'll be pleased to share your compliments with all the staff and especially with Marcello. I'm sure he would be happy to welcome back you and your family so come back soon!

Best regards

Elia Boschini
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

While the hotel building and its breakfast room ("salla magna") is still bearing some similarity to what you expect from a "Palace Hotel", my "lake-side room" in the second floor rather resembled a servant's chamber furnished in a kind of seventies style, if any. Anyway, I was sleeping well and did not miss anything. WiFi was most of the time working with about 200 kB/sec, once you purchased 83 min internet access for a mere EUR 10! The breakfast buffet was offering anything I like, the staff was friendly and helpful. The location is excellent, facing the beautiful lake on one side (unfortunately with a busy road and a noisy construction site inbetween) and the charming old town on the other, everything of interest being in walking distance. I think, when the construction work will end sometime this year, the view from a "lake-side room" will be attractive again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
gmpalaceComo, Direttore at Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Dear Guest,
thank you very much for your recent review. I am very pleased to read that you had a enjoyable stay with us at the Palace Hotel and I will proudly share your kind compliments with my cherished team. Positive feedback is always greatly appreciated.
Regarding the rooms, as mentioned in previous replies, our hotel will undergo a major renovation starting mid October that will involve 68 rooms. In spring 2014 we will proudly present brand new rooms and bathrooms.
The construction work in front of the hotel is due to structural problems under the bridge and we are confident it will be completed by mid-October.
Hoping to welcome you back in the future,
Radlett, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

We chose this hotel partly for the great location, next to the Lago Nord railway station & 10 minutes walk from the San Giovanni station. Right in the old town so many restaurants within a short walk. Having read other reviews, I would agree that the interior of the rooms is somewhat dated, but this did not come as a surprise. We were given a lake view at no extra charge, but much of this is obscured by the trees and the building works outside the hotel. Some noise from the traffic outside. The breakfast, which was included, was very good quality - very decent scrambled egg, in contrast to many buffets. The staff - on reception, in the dining room - were all smartly dressed, very professional & very helpful. When we wanted ice in the room, it arrived at a moment's notice; a faulty light bulb was replaced without us having to ask.

Room Tip: You might be lucky & get a lake view if you ask; i would not pay the premium of 30 Euros per nig...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HertsTimelord
gmpalaceComo, Direttore at Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Dear Guest,
thank you very much for your recent review. I am very pleased to read that you had a very enjoyable stay with us at the Palace Hotel and I will proudly share your kind compliments with my cherished staff. Positive feedback is always greatly appreciated.
As mentioned in previous replies, our hotel will undergo a major renovation starting mid October that will involve 68 rooms. In spring 2014 we will proudly present brand new rooms and bathrooms.
Hoping to welcome you back in the future,
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

This hotel was TERRIBLE and I would not recommend it to anyone! The exterior looked amazing, the location to be fair is fabulous however, the rooms are deplorable! Very old and dingy, the shower was revolting, there was no pressure at all and when you flushed the toilet you heard the water filtering through the pipes in the wall. The timber architraves were coming off the walls and nails were exposed! There is no free wifi, you will be made to pay on a prepaid card which is absolutely ridiculous given there room rate is not cheap and this is 2013! We had a very serious medical emergency whilst there. We asked the night porter to phone for a doctor at 2am in the morning, he told us there was no doctor. We caught a taxi to the local hospital and when returning to my room the next morning I overheard a woman speaking to a doctor in her room as he was treating her husband!

Room Tip: Helpful tip: Do not book this hotel!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
gmpalaceComo, Direttore at Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Dear Guest,
thank you for your review. I am sorry that your stay was not satisfactory and you found your room uncomfortable. As mentioned in previous replies, the hotel will undergo a complete
renovation in the building where you stayed and we will be renewing all bedrooms and bathrooms this coming winter.
Regarding your request for a doctor at 2 a.m. I can confirm that this service is not available during the middle of the night. Should a guest have very serious need of medical assistance we call an ambulance or if not so serious a taxi can be called to the near emergency unit in
the hospital just 500 metres from us. During the daytime, starting from 7 a.m. a doctor can be available for visits in the hotel upon payment.
Best regards.