We could not ask for a more pleasing revisit to Lake Como. Our five days at Villa Torretta were beyond our expectations.
Our front room (#5) faced the lake and we were entranced looking out to the promenade, the ferries coming and going, and the lovely changing colors of the water views. I am a very light sleeper but my rest was not disturbed by any dock activity as the window shutters worked well for sound muffling at night.
Especially enjoyable: The large room size, comfortable bed, nicely updated bathroom, cleanliness, enough closet and drawer space, antique decor, places to sit and relax both inside and out, and flower-bedecked lakeside terrace. (Don't be put off by the charmless lower level entry. The pretty villa is just up the stairs).
Best of all: The attentive service of the staff and Laura who with calm and competence goes about accommodating her guests at Villa Torretta and at the Hotel Olivedo. She is kind and will help you with any assistance you need. We fondly recall how each time we saw her, she would cheerfully greet us by name - pronounced in Italian.
Mornings started with a buffet breakfast (generous offerings of coffee, pastries, cereal and fruit) at the Olivedo Restaurant next door. It was convenient, reasonable and fine for dinner twice - although the menu selection is short. There are many restaurants only a stroll away along the lake - or (if you care to walk up cobblestoned steep passageways), there are even more good choices. Very cozy Il Cavatappi is well worth considering.
Staying in this quaint town allowed us to readily crisscross the lake and again visit other locations, but there is a lot to see and do without leaving Varenna: scenic hikes, gardened villas, hilltop castle, falconry, shopping, finding great gelato, cookery lessons - even a beautifully impressive cemetery. It was delightful to stay here where we could step out just on foot to reach many nearby destinations. Start out on an evening's amble along the lamplit (or moonlit) promenade and who knows where your fancy will take you....
We would go back there and stay at Villa Torretta because of the quality of the lodging and for the hospitality Laura offers, unobtrusive and sincere. We hugged her good-bye hoping to see her again.
Elaine and Joe Marone
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Little lovely villa, 19th-century, on the edge of lake. All 3 rooms en-suite with great lake view and balcony. Lovely little garden with table and chairs to enjoy the view of the lake.Laura and Mamma are there to welcome you! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Villa Torretta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Torretta Hotel Varenna
- Villa Torretta Varenna, Lake Como, Italy