“Stylish Italian Simplicity”

Villa Torretta
Ranked #2 of 12 Varenna B&B and Inns
“Stylish Italian Simplicity”
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

My wife booked us in here for a couple of days. She'd stayed before and was a but worried that I'd find it too basic. Far from it. The room and villa are so much in keeping with the vibe if the area. Varenna is beautifully understated next to Bellagio. Highly recommended if you want to dodge the tourist throng and enjoy this beautiful part of the world.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pogalogga

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Albany, New York
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Varenna is the perfect place to stay when visiting lake como. Easy 1 hr train ride from milan central. The B&B is an easy 5min walk from the train station in Varenna.

Stayed at villa Varenna for 2 nights and we loved it! We had a room with a huge balcony and amazing view. B&B is on the quieter side of town and is an easy 2 min walk to the old harbor with bars / restaurants / gelato. Right outside B&B is the ferry that can take you to all over the lake.

Highly recommend eating dinner at the adjoining hotel - Olivedo - it was one of the best meals in Varenna.

The owner Laura is very sweet and helpful.

We can't wait to go back!!!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peter F
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I spent 2 nights here on a warm weekend in June. Laura was very welcoming and personable, as were the restaurant staff. The accommodation is very nice - timber floors, "country style" furniture and french doors give it warmth of character, while the fixtures are all modern and comfortable - excellent bed, shower and aircon.

The restaurant attached to the sister property - Hotel Olivedo - serves simple and lovely fare. It is pleasantly casual with tables set up on the verandah at the front where you can watch passers by and ferry arrivals/departures.

It is well situated on the lake directly across from the ferry wharf, and is a 5 minute walk from the train station. Other reviewers have commented on noise from the ferry but I honestly did not notice it at all, and I don't think it goes very late anyway. Lack of a television is not a negative when there is an exquisite lake to look at; the view across to the other villages at night is very nice too.

WIFI is OK but not "business class".

I would happily stay here again, and sincerely hope I have the opportunity.

Room Tip: Middle floor, centre front, perfect.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank AnneES2014
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My daughter and I arrived in Varenna very excited about exploring Lake Como. I had booked a room at the Villa for 3 nights and a room at the hotel for 2 nights and had done a bit of homework. We wanted a lake view with a balcony so we had managed to secure room 8 in the Villa. I had got Laura to send photos saw I knew what to expect.

On our arrival we were taken over to the villa, only to be given room 9 which is the very top room of the villa. The room was very small and had a balcony at the back. We went to see Laura to ask why we were given room 9 not 8. She proceeded to explain that she had given our room to a older couple who couldn't manage the steps. Even though they had to climb two sets of steps to get to room 8. After travelling all the way from Australia and especially after doing my homework with the room I tried to explain to Laura that I was quite disappointed with the room we had been given. The room was very clean and quite comfortable (very small) but it didn't have the balcony and Lake View I was looking for. We discussed the situation for some time and Laura didn't quite seem to understand how disappointed I was and she said we could have the room on our last night. I did say that I understood the situation but we would like the room we were promised. Unfortunately, they weren't any other rooms available so we had to take the room and Laura would ask the other people to move. I know this may sound a little mean but I was very disappointed.

Laura phoned us later that night to say the other people would move (to a room on the lower level) so we could have our room that we were promised the next day. I think I may of upset her, she was polite when we saw her but we did feel a little awkward when we saw her over the next few days. Though I was determined not to let it spoil our holiday.

Our last two nights were in the hotel (room 18) which again was very clean, the room was large but our bathroom was very small and the shower quite awkward to use. All in all I would stay at both Villa Torretta and Hotel Olivedo again - if Laura has us back! Breakfast was basic but nice, the location is great if you want to right at the ferry terminal. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. I only hope the people that had to move understand our situation.

Room Tip: Definitely book a room with a view and a balcony if you can, room 8 in the villa has a large balcony...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Donna W
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 14 June 2014

As I opened the door to Hotel Olivedo, Laura lit up when she saw me and said, "I know who YOU are!" with a smile as if we were old friends. How sweet as she had never met me and we'd just exchanged emails to make and finalize our reservation. After giving us a quick rundown of the keys to the private entry to the Villa Torretta, we were off to settle in. Laura efficiently and pleasantly runs both Hotel Olivedo, its restaurant and the Villa Torretta (which officially is called a B&B I believe) and, for our needs, the Villa Torretta was everything I hoped it would be.

Words cannot describe (so I will post pictures) how peaceful and beautiful it was to sit in the private courtyard outside our room and look out at the lake glimmering beneath blue mountains. So nice that it is above street level too so you can relax without feeling like you are on display but if you tire of gazing at gorgeous scenery and swans flying to a landing near the moored sailboats, you can people watch as tourists come and go from ferries and locals chit chat over the fence of the tiny playground. There are chairs that we moved to sit under the shade as the sun crossed the sky and we sipped on wine (which other guests did occasionally as well but since the Villa Torretta has a limited number of rooms it is never crowded; we usually had it all to ourselves). When you need a little adventure you simply walk to the ferry dock right in front of Hotel Olivedo to buy tickets to Belaggio or other villages around Lake Como. After visiting Belaggio and Menaggio, we were happy to return to the quieter and lovelier Veranna (I can see why Rick Steves recommends it). Every day we walked from "our" end of Varenna around the curve of the lake to the more populated section with a variety of restaurants, gelato shops, TI, churches, hotels and side streets (up one there is a quaint art gallery). There are more choices of hotels there but, if you arrive by train, be prepared to haul your luggage much farther and perhaps up steep steps.

Breakfast (same breakfast for us staying at the Villa and guests at Hotel Olivedo) was typical of what we had been served at other Italian hotels and B&B's: coffee or cappuccino, tea, yogurt, croissants, bread to toast, assortment of jams and nutella-like spread and fresh fruit. Christian and the young lady working with him (never caught her name but she was very friendly) worked hard to make sure everyone had a steady flow of however much coffee or even (for my daughter) hot chocolate.

A couple of days before we were to check out, we discovered that the train we were planning to take to Milan (to fly home) might be on strike that morning. After sharing my concerns to Laura and asking about taxis to the airport, she immediately made some phone calls and got a driver set up to pick us up at 7 am to make sure we were at the airport by 9 am. And then she added that we could come to have coffee and croissants at 6:45 and leave our keys with Christian. All of this help brought us the peace of mind we needed to enjoy our remaining time of vacation. Then to top it off the day before we left, Laura cheerfully told us that she had found another couple that also needed a ride so if we shared we them it would be a better price. Music to our ears! And the next morning we were having coffee and rolls looking out at the lake, popping into our taxi by 6:45 and to the airport by 8:30 am.

Needless to say, I would highly recommend staying at Villa Torretta! It was a lovely place to stay and have a "vacation from your vacation" and practice the art of doing nothing. This was just what we needed after the hustle and bustle of busier Italian cities we had just visited. Hope you enjoy it too!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Mansfield, Texas, United States
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Beautiful lakeside 19th century Italian villa. All rooms have a wonderful Lake Como views. 3 of the 6 rooms have a balcony, but the villa has a large shared balcony looking out on the lake for all rooms to use. Furnished with antiques. Breakfast is next door at the hotel. Ferry landing is 30 yards out the front door.

• Stayed May 2014
Boston
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I belabored this review because so much was a 5, but the things missing were the more intangible like having someone actually walk us over to our room upon arrival rather than thrusting a set of 3 different keys into our hands & pointing to the building down the street (yes, Laura lived up to her "crisp" reputation). We struggled a bit getting into the building, courtyard but found a lovely room awaiting us - very spacious, antique furniture with a knock out view of the Lake. AND a modern bathroom - quite astounding. We had selected the "superior" double for an additional 5 EU and it seemed worthwhile. The common areas were lovely but we never saw anyone using them. The outside patio was perfect for a glass of wine watching the ferry boats and the children playing in the park. I selected Varenna as a Lake Como base based on Rick Steves (doesn't everyone?) but read many TA reviews before I selected the Torretta taking a chance on the service. LOTS of Americans at both the Toretta and the Olivedo. The breakfast was the best variety we had in 2 weeks and 4 hotels but it always felt a bit hectic with Christian running around trying to do almost everything mostly by himself. In our 3 days Laura never asked how our trip was going or was there anything she could do for us. She did smile at my husband a few times as she stood in the Hotel Olivedo doorway with her ever present cigarette. So if you want no hand holding and are very independent this could be an ideal spot for you. We did not have dinner at her restaurant but walked up along the water to several more casual outdoor cafes. I did hear from one fellow that he ate there 4 times & each time was excellent. Lot of different opinions & different options in the neighborhood.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Varenna
Royal Victoria
Hotel Villa Cipressi
#3 of 6 in Varenna
Hotel Belvedere Bellagio
Albergo Milano Hotel & Apartments

Been to Villa Torretta? Share your experiences!