“Only average”

Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Decatur, Alabama
“Only average”
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

My family was also surprised to see this was the #1 ranked restaurant in Varenna after we ate there. We felt the meal was average at best considering the cost. The staff were fairly inattentive -we went two long stretches with empty glasses as we waited to ask for more. I could not finish my lake filet because of all the bones in it. We felt each dish looked better than it tasted. This was our first disappointing meal of our Italian vacation. I would not go back there again nor would I recommend it to others.

1 Thank Vernon H

Dublin, Ireland
“Why is This Restaurant Number One in Varenna?”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We booked for a table on the terrace, unfortunately it rained that night so we had to eat inside. That changed the experience for us.
Nobodies fault, the restaurant cannot be held responsible for Mother Nature.

The room inside seemed to amplify the noise, especially of the children.
I have nothing against children, I have one of my own. However, when you go out with your husband on holiday for a romantic meal, children (and adults too it has to be said) making so much noise that you cannot be heard across the table, it's not a great setting.

The staff were friendly and helpful.
The food was hit and miss.
I had foie gras for my starter, it was delicious, the highlight of the meal in fact.
The pasta was adequate, nothing to write home about and I could do better.
The pistachio dessert was only ok.
I would not go back to this restaurant again and I would not recommend it to a friend.

We managed to find a far better restaurant in the town and ate there two days in a row because we were so impressed.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank AnnaMHH
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Heaven by the Lake.”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We travelled from Milan where we had spent a few days, to Varenna on 30th June. We tried to dine at La Vista on our first night but they were fully booked. The lady in charge was very helpful and suggested a couple of other places that might be suitable. We booked up at La Vista for a few days later when they had tables. The restaurant is well named, the Vista is stunning with the terrace being on the first floor overlooking the lake. The night we dined the weather was perfect, a wonderful warm evening with little breeze. We had a table at the terrace wall and as darkness fell, the candles all along the wall were lit, it was truly magical. (There is only room for 11 tables inside should the weather be inclement, so make sure when you book that you are not in more than 11th place on the reservations list)
Anyway on with the review. We were welcomed and shown to our table by a very friendly and helpful young lady. Menu,s were quickly offered and time allowed to have a good discussion as to what to order. Our drinks were brought promptly and it was quite delightful to sit and gaze over the lake as the sun was setting. There was a nice selection of dishes to choose from and they all sounded equally amazing. We both had starters, main meals and puddings to follow. In fact my husband, who does not eat puddings, ended up,asking the waitress to bring us three puddings as we could not decide which to have, his favourite was the Gorgonzola ice cream, a must try, totally fantastic. He also chose the beef fillet as a main, and declared it the best he had ever tasted. Our whole meal was delicious, the setting idyllic and the staff superb. I must give a special mention to our young lady waitress. She was wonderful, I asked for recommendations for pudding and discovered she was as much of a chocoholic as I am. Her lovely attitude made what was always going to be a lovely evening, quite wonderful. This has to be one of the most amazing meals, setting and service, I have ever encountered. I will certainly return on my next visit to Varenna. I would recommend this establishment very highly, you will not be disappointed. I would phone and book prior to your holiday as it is very popular.

• Visited July 2014
Bakersfield, California
“Great meal!”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We were in Varenna on my husband's birthday and I wanted to treat him to something special. I could not have picked a better place! We had lots of good meals during our three weeks in Italy, but this one stood out, not only for the delicious food, but for the beautiful presentation. Our server was gracious and helpful. The soup was delicious AND gorgeous. The fish was fresh and cooked perfectly. The meal was not inexpensive, but it was worth every euro!

Visited June 2014
Isle of Palms, South Carolina
“Perfection”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed in Varenna for 3 nights at this wonderful hotel, and after dining the second evening at La Vista, we looked no further! Our next evening's dinner was as delicious, and as graciously served, as the prior evening's. The restauranteurs/innkeepers are pros and it shows in every detail.
Do not miss dining here.

• Visited June 2014