“Amazing experience”

Ranked #1 of 17 things to do in Varenna
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 12 March 2014

My husband and I took Chef Moreno's class and it was an unforgettable day. I would recommend this experience to anyone who enjoys cooking and great food. Chef Moreno's wife picked us up in Varenna and took us to the restaurant. We stared with some cappuccinos and cookies and during the lesson we were served some wine, cheeses, and meats. We got to assist with the cooking process and at the end we ate all the food that was made. Chef Moreno is wonderful, personable, informative, and funny. He deserves to have a show on the Food Network. If I ever go back to Lake Como, I would love to take this class again.

3  Thank Micaela_Zafonte
in 7 reviews
"cooking tips"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 7 January 2014

We took Chef Moreno's class with four other friends in July, 2013 and it was the highlight of the past four highlight-filled summers we have spent at Lake Como. His cooking demonstration was fascinating—especially to a novice in the world of pasta making such as myself—and his directions and patter were highly entertaining and informative. To top it all off, the meal we were served at the end of the day (which included what he made before our eyes) was fantastic. I would recommend Chef Moreno's class to anyone lucky enough to spend some time at Lake Como and surroundings. (Sorry the pictures below didn't load in the proper order.)

2  Thank Skiffdaddy
Reviewed 10 December 2013

A group of 6 of us took Chef Moreno's class one Thursday in September, and it was a fantastic day - wonderful company, authentic setting, generous hosts, clear instruction and amazing food. There is not much else to add that other reviewers have'nt already mentioned - for us this was a definite highlight of our Italian holiday. Thankyou Moreno & family for opening your restaurant, sharing your passion for italian food and also for the Italian 'life'....many happy memories of this day for a lifetime! I made the pasta on the weekend and our friends raved about it...:)

2  Thank Gemma34
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I took a group of 10 to Chef Moreno Maglia's all day cooking class. Arriving to small individual
plates of cookies/sweets with cappucinos, followed by wine and trays of meats and cheeses,
then the start of the class. Pasta made from scratch for tagliatelles, the ricotta filling, sauce,
veal stew, and porcini risotto. Moreno, not only is a wonderful chef, but offers so much
information about his family and area history. With over 200 relatives in the U.S. it is not
surprising how fluent in English he is. For 50 euros per person the cookery class is a great
value.( including roundtrip transportation from Varenna) I had taken a group of 8 to Il Caminetto
for dinner two years ago, so was familiar with the restaurant. On this trip I dined at two popular
restaurants in Varenna that could not compare to Il Caminetto for both quality and value. So do your best to also go here for dinner

2  Thank BobM415
See more reviews
Reviewed 29 October 2013

My husband and I had the great pleasure of sharing the day with Brodsky 49 and Mean 1234 for the "all day" cooking class with Moreno. I totally agree with "Travel for Lving" about the authentic nature of this experience in such an "out of the way" place. I think "Westford's" review must have been of a different chef and a different class because our experience was nothing like he/she mentioned. He/she even had Moreno's name wrong. We had plenty of delicious food and drink flowing all day long topped by wonderful stories of life in Italy for Moreno's parents and family. My husband and I were gone for almost a month which included stops in Zurich, the Cinque Terre, Lake Como and an 11 night cruise of the Adriatic with wonderful ports. However, I can truly say that the day at Il Caminetto was one of the top highlights of our one month stay in Europe. Don't miss it if you are in the area or anywhere near the area.

1  Thank markarnar