“If only we had known!”

Ranked #3 of 17 things to do in Varenna
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 8 May 2014

If only we had known that Moreno offered cooking classes! We spent (only) two nights at Moreno and his lovely wife's bed and breakfast "La CA Nova diGittana", located in a charming little village in the mountains with amazing views. What gracious hosts! Moreno offered to drive us, on more than one occasion to tours and visits we had scheduled, wish we would have had more time to attend one of his cooking classes. His restaurant was warm and cozy and the meals were outstanding! If and when I plan a trip back to Lake Como, I would plan a cooking lesson with Chef Moreno and a stay at the B&B La Ca Nova di Gittana - a must!

1  Thank Cheryl L

Reviewed 19 April 2014

I am pleased to say that everything I read in previous reviews is indeed true, and then some. As well as a cooking lesson ending in eating some truly authentic high quality Italian cooking, the whole time spent with Moreno was an enjoyable lesson on Italian history, culture, as well as that of a few other nations! Chef Moreno clearly loves what he does, especially considering he fits an evenings service in after what is effectively a day well spent entertaining 'students'. As generous with wine as he is with cooking tips, facts, stories, and general banter, you will struggle not to enjoy this experience, and will be inspired to mess up your kitchen trying what he made look all too easy.

TOP TIPS: while you are well fed with snacks etc, the lesson takes a good part of the day, so make sure you have some sort of (at least light) breakfast. There is plenty of wine too, so take advantage of the Verenna pick up that they provide, and travel on foot if possible.

2  Thank Americophile_32
Reviewed 17 March 2014

After spending 10 days in Milan, Lake Como and Switerland, I have to say this was one of the biggest highlights of our trip. We were picked up promptly by Chef Moreno himself at the Varenna ferry and taken up to the restaurant which is situated in a quaint village with stunning views. We were served coffee and cookies while the chef did some preparation and then the lesson began. Moreno is great at giving clear instructions and has a great sense of humor, making us feel right at home. We were then served fresh meats and cheeses along with wine while we listening and partook in the making of pasta. While the pasta was being cooked we were able to take a stroll outside and see some amazing views. Then we ate our amazing meal while still having wonderful conversation with Chef Moreno. We were then served dessert and aperitifs before Moreno brought us back down to the ferry. This was one of the most memorable days on our trip and by the time we left we felt like a part of his family. I would highly recommend to anyone visiting the area.

4  Thank Courtnee2182
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I was in utter shock when i heard the man everyone secretly looks for when they visit Como, George Clooney, had not stumbled upon this hidden gem. I have been traveling through Europe, Asia and Africa for a year, in search for the best food, experiences and unique people, and I have never met someone quite like Moreno or enjoyed a meal as much as I did. I was nervous at first to say the least, because you never know what you are going to get with a cooking class. But my experience was nothing short of magical. Moreno devotion to his family, food and his customers, was eye-opening. His sweet advice and inspirational conversation filled my heart as much as the food filled my stomach. From the time Moreno picked us up from the ferry until the time he dropped us of I couldn't help but smile. I regularly find myself thinking about Moreno or dreaming of the food. At the risk of writing a book, The best way for me to express the way I felt during the cooking class, and every time I think of my experience with Moreno is through one simple song and dance…https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
From now on, whenever I visit Como, the guy I will be looking forward to seeing is Moreno. I advise everyone to experience this cooking class if they want to clap along.

3  Thank Valerie H
Reviewed 12 March 2014

My husband and I took Chef Moreno's class and it was an unforgettable day. I would recommend this experience to anyone who enjoys cooking and great food. Chef Moreno's wife picked us up in Varenna and took us to the restaurant. We stared with some cappuccinos and cookies and during the lesson we were served some wine, cheeses, and meats. We got to assist with the cooking process and at the end we ate all the food that was made. Chef Moreno is wonderful, personable, informative, and funny. He deserves to have a show on the Food Network. If I ever go back to Lake Como, I would love to take this class again.

3  Thank Micaela_Zafonte