Hotel du Lac
Hotel Olivedo(Varenna)
Eremo Gaudio(Varenna)
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
All reviewslake comosmall balconypartial lake viewan aperitifhotel terracehear the water lappingparking garagewonderful hotelsmall hoteltrain stationking bedshort walkperfect spotroom was spotlessviews are spectaculareach morningreception area
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My husband and I arrived at Hotel Du Lac on a very warm August day after taking the train from Milan. We were both pleased with the hotel, its old world charm, friendly staff, great location, and air conditioning. The room we had booked was #25 with a wonderful view of the lake and surrounding mountains. The room was clean and well kept. Our room had a tiny balcony with two chairs where we could sit and look out over the lake. A European style breakfast was served in the small dining /bar area in the morning. This area had a very nice outdoor terrace where we sat and lingered over our breakfast, enjoying the spectacular view. Also, in the evening before we went to dinner we would sit on the terrace and enjoy an aperitif accompanied by a complimentary light snack. The hotel does not serve dinner, but there are some terrific restaurants nearby. We took the recommendations of the hotel staff and were not disappointed.
Hotel Du Lac is only a few minutes away from where the ferry docks. We would catch the ferry in the morning and tour the towns on Lake Como. Very convenient.
If you arrive by train and are not use to walking, especially with luggage, I would suggest you take a taxi from the train station to the hotel. My husband and I only travel with small carry-on luggage and did not find the walk difficult, but it is probably a 15 minute walk. ( Head toward the ferry dock and take the promenade along the lake to the hotel.)
Make sure you book early since there are not many rooms. I booked our room about 10 months in advance and was glad I did. We really enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Du Lac and the town of Varenna.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank plibrary
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Varenna is one of those villages that you long to return to! The Hotel Du Lac was a wonderful place to stay, in a superb location wtih stunning views on the lake. Our room was on the first floor, No 20 (I think) with a great lake front terrace.

We stayed 6 nights in early June and felt like we belonged there. The staff, headed by Valeria provided the most professional, accommodating and friendly service. They were great fun too and we felt like family! The breakfasts were very good and the made- to -order coffees were outstanding!

Aperol Spritz made by Janet, for our evening Cocktail hour on the terrace, were the best in the Lake Como area! Allora....... we are working on our return visit ! Mille grazie!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front with a terrace, or higher up with a small juliet balcony would be my pick. But you can spend time on the hotel terrace with spectacular view of the lake if these rooms are not available at the time of your booking.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2013

This is a sweet, small hotel in Varenna that has everything. Great location, wonderful food, outdoor eating for lunch and breakfast, bar, -our room was clean, comfortable and had a wonderful view. Guido at the front desk spoke excellent English and was very friendly and helpful with recommendations, guiding us to excellent restaurants. It's quiet and a great place to stay a few days or longer.

Room Tip: Ask for assistance in picking out the perfect room and they will help you by email. I believe all the rooms have a view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We stayed for four nights in late July. It was unseasonably hot during our stay, and our air conditioned room more than paid for itself. The hotel has a wonderful lake-front location, and we had a big porch overlooking the lake. Simply put, very nice hotel in a dramatically beautiful area. The breakfast was always more than adequate, and the front desk was very helpful with directions and travel information. It is about a 15 minute walk from the train station, and located within a 5-10 minute walk of everything in Varenna. We loved it, and would easily stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We traveled down from Interlaken, Switzerland for our first visit to Italy. After some research I knew I wanted to be on Lake Como for a few days. All the guidebooks I read touted Hotel du lac and they were dead on! We had a beautiful lake view room with master bed upstairs and wonderful appointments throughout. The views are spectacular. I will always make Hotel du lac my first choice when returning. Just a short walk along the lake, which is a pleasure unto itself, are the ferry landings. We visited Bellagio and Mennagio. My only complaint is that I did not spend enough time in this area. I will be back!

Room Tip: All but three of thier sixteen rooms have lake views. Book early and enjoy!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends