“Well located, friendly staff, impeccably clean”
Review of Hotel du Lac

Hotel du Lac
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Varenna
Reviewed 16 October 2009

The staff are friendly and accommodating; parking is on site, though a bit snug getting in and out of the lot and spaces. Be sure to tell staff you need to park a car if you're driving. Excellent location; each room appears to be unique; great views. My group of 8 veteran travellers highly recommend Hotel du Lac in Varenna.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 8 October 2009

Truly deserves the top rating. The views are splendid, the rooms are clean and large. There is a great walkway along the waterfront to stroll in the evening, past bars with music and gelatterias. The staff was very accomodating. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SantaCruzSteve
Reviewed 2 October 2009

This hotel was absolutely wonderful! Not sure why it is classified as a 2-star hotel on Tripadvisor's website--I would rate it higher.

Definitely spend the extra money if you can for a room with a view of the lake and with a balcony. Our twin bed room was nice and clean, with lots of natural light that came in from the bay windows and balcony door. The views were absolutely fantastic! You can sit on the balcony or hotel terrace with a glass of vino and listen to the sounds of the lake, very relaxing.

Varenna is a great town from which to explore Lake Como. It is not nearly as touristy as some of the other towns, such as nearby Bellagio, which was a pleasant surprise. Therefore, it's much more quiet and quaint without all of the tourist shops. However, you're just a 15-minute ferry boat ride away from Bellagio. I thought this was the perfect arrangement. We also had our best food of our trip in Varenna--in talking to other travelers they echoed the same sentiments. This is certainly not a town to be missed! It's also very convenient to Milan--just an hour train-ride away.

The hotel had a very nice buffet breakfast and had access to a computer/internet on site, however they did charge for its use. (Just a few Euros depending on how much time you purchased.) The staff was exceptional--very friendly--and they made great suggestions for dinner and activities.

I would absolutely love to return here and would definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank ADBTraveler
Reviewed 12 September 2009

I took a three week trip through Paris, Switzerland and Italy in September 2009. On my way from Switzerland to Italy, I told myself not to get my hopes up for hotel Du Lac because the price was so economical. (I had just stayed at a horrible hotel for exactly twice the cost.) WOW was I pleasantly surprised.

Hotel Du Lac was not only had the best accommodations in terms of cleanliness, decor and location, but was the best value I experienced for the entire trip.

I had a single room without a lake view but it was excellent. It was airconditiond with tiled floors and an very large bathroom. It was quiet and serene and modern with classical Italian decor.

The hotel is definitely romantic in terms of location and the fact that most of the other guests were couples; however, I never felt out of place and was never treated with anything but the utmost care.

It's located within walking distance of everything in Varenna you'd want: the train station, restaurants, the main piazza, the lake front and access to the ferry boats. The view from the deck (and probably the double rooms) is the best. I spent some time out there just relaxing and enjoying the excellent meals they serve.

The staff handled all sorts of requests with efficiency and genuine care. The breakfast was top quality, in fact it was the best breakfast I had while on the trip, and it was included.

The only negative I can mention is that upon arrival it was difficult to drag my suitcase (I'd over packed a little) down the lovely cobbled lanes to the hotel. I found out that there is a shortcut along the lake. If you go, take the lake walk rather than the main street! You can take a cab but it's not a long walk and very pretty.

Selfishly, I hope this hotel is does not get so popular that I can't return or it raises its prices! (I confirmed my reservation less than a month from my departing date.)

I would definitely recommend this hotel to honeymoon couples, couples or the single traveler, like myself.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank supergirl50000
Reviewed 26 August 2009

This hotel was fabulous. Of course I was enthralled with Lake Como, and I'd love to stay there again but it was kind of expensive for those of us paying with the american dollar. (A jeweler down the way said it is the most expensive in Varenna). Still, if you're going to splurge anywhere, this is definitely a great play for it. Breakfast was delicious! It was close to the plaza, not far from the ferry, beautiful views. The staff was extremely helpful, they e-mailed me detailed directions to get there before I got there. They had the adapter I needed for my laptop...offered wireless internet (for a fee), etc. I even needed help with a call and the internet at 1am, and the guy at the desk was extremely helpful even at that hour. The drinks were good, even the house wine was fine.

The room was gorgeous, the best one we had on our trip through europe. It was pretty spacious too, compared to some of the other hotels. Also after we checked out, we had to leave our luggage for pretty much the entire day, they gave us no charge and no problems with it.

Overall, I'd say, if you want a super relaxing experience at a beautiful hotel, and you want to just enjoy the scenery, and don't mind the price, stay at Hotel Du Lac.

While in Varenna, I'd definitely recommend IL Cavatappi and the cooking school, IL Caminetto. Both experiences were FABULOUS. Also, stop by IL Pozzo and see Gorgio for some great deals on beautiful jewelry.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank tonight33
Reviewed 13 August 2009

A lovely hotel, worth paying extra for the lake view, with extremely helpful staff. Near lots of restaurants. Varenna is a beautiful spot and a lot less touristy than Bellagio which can be easily visited by ferry. Villa Carlotta was a treasure worth visiting too. We went to Varenna by train from Milan - only about an hours journey time and no more than Euros10.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2009

I just came ack from the lovely Hotel Du Lac! After escaping a totally awful stay at the Hotel Olivedo we had booked the first awailable hotel we could find - luckyly the Du Lac. Nice nd clean Room, wonderful terrace with a fantastic view, a nice platform for bathing in the lake, great bathroom, the sweetest and most helpfull staff, nice terasse bar, and an incredible breakfast! I really hope to come back next year! This hotel is simply perfect!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Varenna
Royal Victoria
Hotel Belvedere Bellagio
Hotel La Darsena
Hotel La Darsena
#2 of 8 in Tremezzina

Been to Hotel du Lac? Share your experiences!