“A peaceful hotel on the lake”
Review of Hotel du Lac

Hotel du Lac
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Varenna
london
“A peaceful hotel on the lake”
Reviewed 13 September 2010

Hotel Du Lac is an attractive hotel right on the waterfront of Varenna. It has a lovely looking terrace (not so useful for us as it rained quite a lot of the time we were there)

Our room was spacious, with a 'partial' lake view. It was clean, and quiet, and you could hear the sound of lapping water outside, which was very nice. There was a small fridge, with one bottle of water in it.

It's supposedly a 4* hotel, which I think is perhaps slightly undeserved, although the laws of Como hotels vastly differ from most other places I have been. We did have quite nice toiletries, notably an extra toiletries kit containing cotton wool etc for makeup removal.

The slightly disappointing aspects I think were the service. Although the staff were never rude, the level of hospitality were somewhat patchy at times. My fiance and I came back to the hotel briefly one evening as we had to wait a while for our table at a local restaurant, and it was raining. We decided to sit in the one of the many sofas near the bar and chill out for a bit. A group of other guests came in from the rain and went to the bar - which was empty and unmanned. The guy on reception went over to them and apologised but the bar was closed when they asked if they could have a drink. Personally, I think this shows a general poor level of service, when you have paying guests who simply want a drink and your bar is closed?! The fact that the whole dining area was deserted at dinner time (and at lunch actually we noticed) was a bit of a tell. For sure, Varenna was full of busy restaurants and bars that night.

Other times, I walked past the person on reception who just looked at me, perhaps to see if I wanted something. No 'good mornings', 'good evenings' or even a smile.

The inclusive breakfast was fine. The usual continental fare with no remarkable features.

One very small niggle I had, which spoilt an otherwise very pleasant night in our room - the floors in the rooms are all tiled. The guest in the room above us decided to stay in her heels all night, and for at least an hour (this was sometime around 11.30pm-ish) I could hear her clacking from one side of the room to the other and back again. I can't imagine most people doing this however, and it stopped before I went off to sleep so it was only a minor thing.

I would recommend Hotel Du Lac. It's a nice hotel in a very pleasant location. You can enjoy the nice views of the lake without the noise that you get in Bellagio.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank orpheus123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Greek first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 8 September 2010

Let me begin by saying that the view from this hotel on to the lake is spectacular. Is it worth the price they charge for the room? I would have to say no.

They have a four star rating which is astonishing to me. I would have thought they deserve a three star rating at the very most. Breakfast was terribly disappointing for an Italian hotel. There was fruit from a can, croissants that tasted as if they were from an economy pack from a supermarket and no water on offer. Also, the previous night I had noticed a lot of flying insects in the bar, and the following morning the bar, where breakfast is served, had dead insects all over the window ledges and quite a few on some of the tablecloths. Not acceptable. Definitely not four star service.

The rooms, whilst quite large, are furnished rather cheaply. The bedrooms are cleaned daily, but with the bare essentials as regards toiletries. Plastic cups in the bathrooms are a pet hate of mine, and even when used were not replaced. The terrace furniture was nice though.

It was okay, but I wouldn't stay in this hotel again as there are other, nicer hotels in Varenna. I did feel ripped off for the price I paid, but they are charging you for the view, I think.

• Stayed August 2010
Reviewed 4 September 2010

We chose Hotel Du Lac based on the reviews on Tripadvisor. Having stayed there we are not convinced many of the posted reviews are accurate. We booked a room with a terrace. Upon arrival the staff were not helpful and did not offer to give any assistance getting bags down the very steep steps to their door (not 4 star service). The room was large but with a foam matress bed (not comfortable). The bathroom had a shower in the bath with broken wall bracket. The terrace was large and the view was excellent. Breakfast was forgettable. We have stayed in 2 star hotels with better food and service. Very limited choice of stale pastries and hard cheeses. Coffee american stule from a glass pot left for self service. After day 2 we decided to go for proper Italian service, coffee and fresh pastries in the town square. We have no idea how Hotel Du Lac Varenna got 4 stars. At best this is a 3 star hotel, arguably 2 star. Hotel Milano (note 170 Euro per night) with Vista Restaurant or Villa Cipressi with restaurant La Contrada (excellent) (we checked out both) would be a far superior choice.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank Clman
Lichfield
Reviewed 2 September 2010

Lovely setting and a beautiful cafe terrace area that we hoped to have lunch on - but oh no, the waiter was abrupt to the point of rudeness telling us that they had no places for lunch and that we could not sit in the cafe area (apparently they only serve on the balcony terrace and not in the quaint one outside!). A Scottish lady who had hurt her foot had been waiting for over half an hour just for coffee.
Such a shame as they have one of the best locations along the lake side and the formal terrace had only a few tables.
I got the feeling they wanted to keep most people off their terrace - well we are two guests that will not try again!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
7 Thank KayWLichfield
Norfolk
Reviewed 23 August 2010

We stayed at Hotel Du Lac for 3 nights and had a fabulous time. The hotel is set on Lake Como and it was the most relaxing and peaceful trip ever. The room overlooked the lake and we woke up each day to the sound of the water lapping at the edges. One morning we swam in the lake from the hotels private jetty.
The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. The rooms were cleaned beautifully each day and breakfast on the balcony was amazing. We are planning our next trip!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 1 August 2010

We chose the Hotel du Lac and Varenna to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday and we are so glad that we did. We have traveled around Italy on several occasions but had never stayed on Lake Como. Our trip to Varenna was perfect. The service at the hotel was excellent. The staff was helpful, warm and friendly. The Hotel du Lac had the intimate feel of a B&B but with a little more privacy. Our room, number 24, had an amazing view from the balcony and was surprisingly spacious. The bed was very comfortable. The A/C kept the room very pleasant which we appreciated because we hit a hot spell while we were there. The bathroom was modern but quite small. We enjoyed the breakfasts very much. There was plenty of variety and you just can not beat eating out on the hotel terrace every morning. We ate at several good restaurants that were recommended both by other Trip Advisor reviewers as well as the hotel. We really enjoyed Varenna Mon Amour which had only been open 4 weeks when we were there. I would describe it as Italian fusion. The chef had spent several years in restaurants in Australia so I think the Asian infuence there had an impact on his cooking. Reading the description on the menu did not prepare us for what we were served. So unexpected and so good. We also enjoyed Il Cavatappi and Vecchia Varenna. We liked different things from all the restaurants so we did not really have a favorite. The dessert at Mon Amour was amazing. Mango and pineapple infused with cinnamon and star anise served with gelato. Il Cavatappi was featuring porcini mushrooms and the risotto made with them was so delicious and earthy. My husband had the most unbelievable "dumplings" (gnocchi) at Vecchia Varenna. So creamy and rich. We also found prices everywhere to be pretty reasonable but then we did travel when the dollar was the best it has been against the Euro since it's debut. We also highly recommend staying in Varenna. It just does not get any more quaint, beautiful or romantic. All in all, the Hotel du Lac was the perfect place to spend a few peaceful, relaxing days and nights. It is probably the first European vacation where we have come home actually more rested and relaxed than when we left.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 29 July 2010

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Du Lac before our wedding day which was taking place at Villa Carlotta. First impressions was that the hotel was clean and the staff incredibly friendly. The room had a double and a single bed. The bath room was very clean and we had a small view of the lake. Breakfast was continental style and there was plenty to eat. There is also a balcony area which has stunning views of the lake. Having stayed at villa cipressi on my previous visit to Varenna I can honestly say this was a much much better hotel l. I would definitely stay here if I was to visit Varenna in the future. The only downsides were that we had to pay for parking and the TV didn't have any english speaking channels on it , not ideal if the weather is rainy and horrible which it was during our stay!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Varenna
Royal Victoria
Hotel Villa Cipressi
Hotel Villa Cipressi
#3 of 6 in Varenna
Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni

Been to Hotel du Lac? Share your experiences!