“Breathtaking views, incredible food and wonderful staff in such an amazing setting, so glad we married here!”

Hotel Villa Cipressi
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Varenna
Reviewed 9 November 2009

We had our wedding reception here 25th May 09 following a ceremony at Villa Balbianello, and truly had the most beautiful day. I wanted to wait a few months and hopefully I wouldn't sound so gushing but I really cannot heap enough praise on the place.

We visited several times before the wedding which apart from being recommended so you can speak to the manager, Davide, and sort out all arrangements is a great excuse for some extra holidays! Davide arranged a great tasting menu for us which helped so much as they have such a lot of choice for weddings - everything we tasted then and indeed on the wedding itself was 5 star - and I am a confirmed foodie... would definitely recommend the fillets of beef in Barolo, all the guests still talk of the food - 7 courses of stunning quality, and they catered for children, vegetarians, vegans and allergies without hesitation.

Guests arrived a few days beforehand and the hotel staff were so helpful, we had arranged welcome packs with gifts for the rooms and it was no trouble for them to arrange flowers for the rooms, co-ordinate with our (also amazing by the way) wedding planner, and organise absolutely everything.

We planned to have the reception meal inside but were so glad we listened to Davide's advice as we were lucky with the weather... the memories I have of sitting down to dinner on my wedding day with all our loved ones, looking over the lake as the sun set will stay with me forever...I am clearly biased but even looking back several months later there is not a thing I would change. All the guests rooms that I saw were lovely, but they were all lake views so I cannot comment on the ones overlooking the road. If you get the chance (and the walk from the bottom of the garden is not problematic for you) book the Villa Magnolia at the bottom of the garden with a balcony right over the lake...romance itself (I haven't told the husband yet but I am picturing many anniversary trips there!)

My summary would be as follows: professional, wonderfully friendly staff, a beautiful hotel in a fantastic setting with great food. I couldn't have asked for anything more and want to thank Cipressi for making everything so special. We hope to visit you many times in the future.

Fondest wishes

Leah & Graham Richmond

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank leinlondon

Reviewed 23 October 2009

Very comfortable room. We had 4 people and had a room with a loft for 2. Beautiful views over Lake Como. Beautiful grounds! Helpful staff.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 October 2009

My wife & I had our wedding at Villa Cipressi after reading positive reccomendations online and from wedding planners. We stayed a few days before but most of our party arrived the night before the wedding.

From a hotel perspective we have a lot of good things to say about Villa Cipressi. The room we had was great, although as bride & groom we had a suite. The view was breathtaking from the room over the lake with beautiful shutter doors that could be opened up to allow the lake breeze through. The room also had A/C but the temp was confertable without it.
Breakfast was served eother in an open courtyard or in side in the dining area depending on the weather. Choice was more than ample. We would highly reccomend this hotel and town of Varenna which was beautiful and unspoilt.

We also have some comments to write regarding the Hotel Cipressi as a wedding venue. I've stated above that as a hotel it was great. As a wedding venue it was simple out of this world. The gardens were beautiful and the courtyard where the ceremony and the meal took place outside was better than we could even have imagined. The pictures on the hotels website look good but they really don't do the reality any justice.

The stafff were friendly and helpfull in the wedding build up and on the day as well. No task was too much and the Manager Davide as well as Sandra & Tatiana from the staff went above and beyond on many occasions. We found the hotel to be so helpfull during the build up that we didn't bother with a wedding planner (although we had 43 guests this may not be the best route for everyone).

The meal was 7 courses of perfection. I never sampled the resteraunt food but if it was anything like the food they serve for the wedding then it will be 5 star.

We waitied a few weeks after returning so that after the euphoria we could write a subjective review but one month on I can't find a single fault with the service, location, food or the management.

Go to Varenna and go stay at the Villa Cipressi. We are going back for sure.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank VTiger
Reviewed 12 October 2009

Stayed here for 3 nights in the Magnolia Suite next to the lake. We had our own private balcony overlooking the lake and private walkway from the main hotel. Breakfeast was good, but mainly the staff were always friendly and helpful. The resturant was good as well.I would recommend this place to anyone. Very good value.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2009

Beautiful hotel right on the lake. Get a room with lake view. Extensive and magnificent gardens. Excellent restaurant and in nice weather you can dine on their patio overlooking lake. Excellent location just as you enter Varenna, and a 10 min walk from the ferry dock, and many restaurants, and bars, all lake side. Front desk staff was intelligent, helpful, and very accomodating. This is a jewel of a hotel on Lake Como.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2009

I agree with most of the other reviews so I won't repeat them. Lovely hotel, amazing view if you splurge on a lake view (which I would highly recommend), very friendly helpful staff, good restaurant with outdoor dining, breakfast served outside in another area. Our first night was superb. The room was a tiny bit hot and the air conditioning was apparently turned off after September 15th. But, a nice breeze off the lake. When we returned from ferry hopping the next day around 6pm and were relaxing before dinner, excruciatingly loud music started playing on the courtyard just below our room. When my husband asked at the desk, he was told that there was a fashion show being hosted that night and that the music would be going until 11:30pm. After enduring an hour and a half of mic checks interspersed with rock music and opera, we escaped to Vecchia Varenna for dinner for a couple of hours. We were only halfway back before we could hear the music pounding back at the hotel. Had we been interested in the fashion show, we could have watched it from our windows but not without earplugs. I'm not exaggerating about how loud it was. The reception that followed was not loud enough to bother us so I don't think we would have minded a wedding going on but I would recommend that if you book a room at this hotel, you ask about events going on at the same time. If the huge tower of speakers is going to be used, I would definitely recommend another hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2009

We stayed five nights in the large suite, A. Manzoni. This features four shuttered windows overlooking the lake. The room offered fantastic space and ceiling height and of course, even better views. That cannot be faulted. But the furnishings in the room are not antique, just dated, somewhat worn and a little sparse. The double bed was simply odd and lacked all attempts to fit in with the classical feeling of the rest of the room. The bathroom was small and featured a rather cramped shower with no bath and one basin.

The hotel does have some charm and the garden, although not extensive, is a treat to explore. Breakfast is served in an adjoining building and here you can find what must be the world's best muesli. The selection is on the small side with fresh fruit a scarcity. This is hard to believe considering we were there in summer and found fabulous fruit for sale wherever we went.

The staff were friendly and I cannot say we have any bad memories of our time at the hotel, despite a wedding taking place in the function room beneath us. I have no doubt that this could easily spoil a well planned holiday. The hotel is central within Varenna and is a good place to relax and unwind in peace, away from the tourist hordes. Gazing out over the beauty of the lake is one of the lasting memories.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Varenna
Royal Victoria
Hotel Belvedere Bellagio
Hotel Du Lac
Hotel Du Lac
#4 of 16 in Bellagio

Been to Hotel Villa Cipressi? Share your experiences!