“Good, safe budget option”
Review of Albergo Beretta

and 1 more site!
Albergo Beretta
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Varenna
Reviewed 16 May 2012

This place is about 5 minutes from the train station, the travel agency is right next door, and it's about 2 minutes from the lake, so you won't have any problems getting around. The rooms are basic and small, but adequate. The main downside if the wifi, which you need to get a password for using an Italian cell phone, but if you ask the hotel folks they might be able to find it for you. If you bring Rick Steves' book, you get a free croissant and capuccino for breakfast. Yes, only a few of the hotel employees speak English, but with my limited Italian I was able to get by OK.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank fiveupstove

Reviewed 27 April 2012

i stayed here for 2 nights. i found the room to be spacious and clean. the owner, who did not speak english, was very pleasant. the 2 girls on staff who did speak english were very nice. i could not get the free wifi to work as an american. it was quite confusing, a pin number. i tried my social security number, but that didn't work. if anyone could explain what the fiscal # would be, that would be appreciated.

this albergo seems to be quite the hang out with the locals. it is close to both the train station and the ferry, very convenient. and a short, pleasant walk to the "town." i opted out of the 6 euro breakfast and instead had an espresso and brioche for breakfast, which they included for free which was very nice of them. all in all, yes the 2nd floor is a bit noisy but i would recommend staying here!

Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank supertearz
Reviewed 31 March 2012

my wife and I were on a driving holiday in Italy. By chance we drove past Hotel Beretta with the intention of going to Switzerland. When I stopped at the STOP sign opposite the Hotel I suggested to my wife that we should perhaps see if we could get a room for the night. One night turned to three and we only then move on because we had already booked further on. Hotel Beretta was an amazing experience, just what I imagined a Hotel in Italy should be like. The room we had was small, but accomodating, nothing flash but with just the right amount of character and a bonus view of Lake Como. The staff were welcoming and friendly, just ilke good family. I would definitely go back, one of the most enjoyable and memorable experiences I have had in Italy.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tweedlesandy
Reviewed 15 July 2011

I think that the other reviews before mine have given a good idea of the pros and cons for this place. It is not the romantic experience that some pricier Varenna hotels offer, but it is a good value at a very convenient location to the train station, and certain rooms offer excellent value.

We arrived early in the day (noon) and were offered a choice of rooms. I saw four and can say that if you do not mind the bathroom down the hall, room 9 is an excellent value. In June, we paid 60 euros and were able to get breakfast thrown in as we were staying three nights. The room had lots of space, a fair amount of charm, Sky TV, and the best thing--a lovely, big balcony with full length windows, offering a view from bed! At night we were not at all bothered by street noise, but when the windows were open while we were on the balcony or in the room wanting fresh air, it could be a bit noisy. It was a small price to pay for an excellent value room. As there is a real range in the quality of rooms. I would definitely recommend 1) trying to see whatever rooms are available to pick what suits your needs, and 2) describing your priorities in a room if reserving. The woman who owns/runs the albergo is very accommodating if you are pleasant to her.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GlobePedaler
Reviewed 5 June 2011

Another great Lake Como hotel. I stayed here for a couple of nights and enjoyed it very much. Varenna is a beautiful town, and the Albergo Beretta is a very inexpensive place with an extremely friendly staff. I would definitely stay here again. Located near the ferry, and close to most of the city.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank MikeStalder
Reviewed 18 April 2011

We found this place through Rick Steves. We had reservations but when we showed up our room was not available. The choice was to stay in a very tiny room with no bath, or a much larger room with a bath. They would not discount the price of the larger room, even though it was their fault our room wasn't available. (I had the printed confirmation with me.)

Then when it was time to check out, we gave them our credit card. (They had previously confirmed that they take credit cards.) We were told that their credit card machine was not working and we would have to pay cash. And there would be no discount for paying cash. (All of a sudden their English wasn't working either.) We hadn't anticipated this so we had to scramble to two different ATMs to get enough cash to pay them.

After returning home, we mentioned this to another couple we met who had also stayed there, and they said the exact same thing happened to them!

Other complaints - the local fishermen gather very loudly in the cafe downstairs before they go out to their boats well before dawn. And the hot water in the shower took forever to get hot. The pluses were the location and the breakfasts, both of which were great. But I would recommend against this place in the future.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
8  Thank MichaelSeattle2012
Reviewed 5 February 2011

Loved staying at the Albergo Beretta in Varenna. It was just a short walk from the station and another very short walk to Lake Como. We caught the ferry that took us all around the lake and was so reasonably priced. The staff at the Beretta were very friendly and the room was very comfortable. Downstairs was a corner shop and dining room where we decided to go to for our evening meal...enjoyed the home cooking. Breakfast was really nice too.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Varenna
Hotel Olivedo
#2 of 8 in Tremezzina
Fio & Gio
Fio & Gio
#8 of 12 in Varenna

Been to Albergo Beretta? Share your experiences!