“Nice small hotel”

and 1 more site!
Albergo Beretta
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Varenna
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I've been there at June. The room was small but nice and clean. There was wonderful view from the window. The place and the town is marvelous! And the hotel is situated just in 5 minutes walk from the lake Como. Only one flaw - the staff faintly speak English. Anyway it is cool and the price is quite reasonable.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Xen0m0rph

Reviewed 21 October 2013

My wife and i selected Albergo Beretta Hotel for the convenience of near the train station and ferry. We didn't have a car and were toting bags, so this worked out great. Other than the grumpy gentleman who is responsbile for breakfast, the rest of the staff were very friendly and welcoming. Not much if any English, but that didn't pose a problem for us. The room was basic with a private bath. I do recommend paying extra for a lake view as our 2nd floor room had no visibility except for the smallest opening through the trees.

My only complaint, like others, is the noise. Every morning, likely because our room was directly over the bar/newstand/cafe, we were awaken at 0630 by the noises below. Sat night, it was the noises above! If you are a heavy sleeper, one who wakes up very early, or the ones making the most noise, this hotel is an affordable and convenient option. Else, you may feel like the savings was not worth it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jlkdoh
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Near Varenna-Esino station and not far from touristics attraction, Staff very friendly,clean and nice room, value for money.I love all.I dinner at the reataurant in the hotel,home-made pork sausage is yummy.

Room Tip: Up to you . Everything is cool.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I arrived in Varenna mid September (not peak season). I tried to get help finding somewhere to sleep that night at tourist information in Varenna itself (they weren't in the slightest interested in helping, gave me a listing for the whole of the lakes and a map with no street names).

I to decided I would stroll around to near the station where I was catching the train next morning found this place, the woman at the desk was very helpful (excellent english) it was cheaper than the other places in the book for someone on their own. The finish was dated but it was very clean and comfortable it faced onto the street but this not being peak season the road was quiet at night and the shutters were effective. I could slightly hear next doors snoring but I slept ok.

I had a rushed breakfast next morning because of catching the train, was basic but fine.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Imogen H
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We had a wonderful stay in this family run hotel. Stairs led to a large clean room with a street and lake view. Others have mentioned the street noise but as one reviewer said, it's Italy. The bar/restaurant downstairs is rocking when soccer games are on and busy in the morning as school children stop in here for breakfast before walking to the train station up the hill and off to school. We had our choice of a couple other hotels but choose this on the price and availability for our dates. A two night stay was pleasant. Only the oldest daughter speaks fluent English but Mom understands enough to make communication possible. Very helpful and accommodating host.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bikingfarmer
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I was a bit dubious about booking here due to some bad reviews on this site, but was very pleasantly surprised. This is a great little family run hotel in an excellent location. Varenna is much nicer than the over touristy Bellagio or Menaggio, with wonderful ultra picturesque steep streets, little hidden docks, tiny balconies festooned with flowers. I recommend the Bar il Molo, stunning location and good food, as well as the restaurant in the hotel, good honest Italian food at a very reasonable price. I really liked this place, and the owners were so helpful, especially the lady who took the booking who spoke such good English and was so nice. It is a bit noisy at night, but hey, that's Italy, and it was a Friday night, anyway all travellers should bring earplugs. Great wireless reception too! Room was big, with plenty of space and very clean and neat with parking available nearby, and breakfast included too!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 55hermes
Reviewed 24 August 2013

A group of ten of us arrived to discover that the ownership had changed since our reservations were made and that we had not been expected, due to a 'change over' mistake. The owner was amazing in how he handled a very delicate situation with 10 overheated, senior citizens at dinner time who had been on a train all day. He quickly went into gear with gracious creativity. His clerk spoke English, but frankly, we didn't need to know Italian to know he was making things right for us. We had a lovely three day stay in an authenticly Italian accomodation. Hugs were shared as we left and we had an excellent experience. This is an honorable, hospitable place that I highly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Varenna
Royal Victoria
#2 of 8 in Tremezzina
Hotel Il Perlo Panorama
Hotel Il Perlo Panorama
#2 of 16 in Bellagio

Been to Albergo Beretta? Share your experiences!