Albergo Beretta
  • Restaurant
  • Beachfront
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsgreat locationtrain stationcoffee and pastriescouple nightscafe barlake comovery nice place to staybreakfast includednice view of the lakeshort walkhotel stayfriendly hotelnice breezefamily run hotelquiet at nightstar hotelbeautiful town
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 August 2008

We stayed 10 nights in this hotel in Varenna in July 2008. It is just a few steps from the railway station, so it's very convenient if you are travelling by train.

The room was average size, had a double bed (comfortable) and a single bed, a balcony facing the lake & the road (nice view), and a good sized bathroom with shower plus a lot of closetspace. Clean towels every day. Breakfast was not included in the roomprice (80€) but cost 6€ extra. It was very basic, but we had it most mornings as it was convenient. Good cappuccinos.

The location was ideal for us. Close to everything, two minutes walk from the ferries and a couple of minutes walk to several good restaurants. and the personnel in the hotel were friendly and helpful.

The only downside was the noise from the street, the cars, the vespas - the hotel bar opens very early in the morning and it's a popular place for locals to come for their morning cappuccino.

All in all, we were satisfied. Not a luxurious place, but nice.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 June 2008

My wife and I just returned from our trip. The first leg of our visit to Italy was Lake Como. We found this hotel through Rick Steves and the Trip Advisor website.
We contacted the hotel about 7 months in advance to make reservations. They returned our e-mails promptly and were quite accomodating. They do not have an on-line booking facility and asked us to e-mail our VISA credentials for a room deposit. Instead I chose to call and speak to them directly and make the reservation verbally. While the owner's English is very limited her daughter understands quite well and with passable Italian on my part we got on fine; I later found out this departure from the norm is a problem.
When we arrived in Varenna they had only booked us in for 2 nights rather than the four that I had arranged and because there was no e-mail to that affect it looked we were going to be looking for other accomodations... not a good start to my vacation. After a few anxious moments and some scrambling for the correct words to indicate our plight they came up with a beautiful apartment just up the road with 3 bedrooms, eat-in kitchen, washer/dryer for the same price. We ended up staying the first 2 nights at the hotel and the last 2 at the apartment. Bottom line, the staff at Albergo Beretta gave service when it counted and did what they could to make up for the error!
The hotel itself is located about 5 minutes from the train station and about 10 minutes from the ferry dock making it really handy for getting around the region. The rooms are located above the bar (cafe) and my suggestion is if you want a balcony you will be in the front of the bar and will have a little more noise - the norm - if a balcony is not a must-have then the other rooms while smaller are quieter. We felt that there was good value for money and the staff were cheerful and helpful... keep in mind they are also running a cafe and at certain times do not have a lot of extra time to chat.
I would stress that while Varenna is the smaller of the lakeside villages in the area of Bellagio and Mennagio having the train station is a big bonus, places like Monza and Milan are just a quick commute away rather than a crowded local bus stuck in traffic.
The hotel puts on a nice breakfast - not included - and is a lively little place for lunch with lots of oppourtunity to meet the locals, have a beer and a sandwich. For a nice dinner that is reasonably priced head down to the ferry dock and walk the promenade toward the town centre, you will come across IL Mollo - The Harbour - the food was great and the I found the waitress Valentina to be charming with a great sense of humour and willing to teach me some new Italian in return for me showing her some good Canadian slang, we ate there 3 nights.
I would recommend this hotel and would stay there again, it was reasonably priced, clean and well located.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 28 June 2008

The staff was very nice and helped us with our luggage up the stairs. We stayed on the third floor and had a corner room facing the street. We did not experience any outside noise. We did have a terrace and wonderful view of the lake and mountains. Room and restroom were neat and clean.

No air conditioner or lift but that is normal for many hotels in Europe and we were not expecting one anyway. Television did not work but didn't bother us. We just wanted to see what Italian TV was like.

There are two major complaints I do have. 1)There is a bar/cafe located on the first floor. One side of the bar was infested with flies. There are flies flying around everywhere and I saw some flies under the pastry lid with pastries still inside. 2) At check out, a woman was checking the phone before I left and said I had used the phone and it would be 10 euro extra. I never used the phone and it took me a while to explain and for her to agree not to charge me the extra 10 euro.

Continental breakfast was 8 euro extra so instead we bought a small breakfast at the cafe downstairs (on the side without the flies). Hot chocolate, cappuccino, and pastries (there were no flies on these pastries) were very good.

Overall, for 58 euros I would say this was a good deal. We had a shared bathroom but had a nice room with a great view. They just need to fix the fly problem.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank texashugs
Reviewed 28 May 2008

Great little Italian hotel. Owners were very pleasant, Located near the train station and close to the ferry, a great overall experience.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2008

We stayed at Hotel Beretta for 2 days after skeeing in Val Gardena. It is very close to the train station and it took us 5 mins to walk to the hotel. The people were very friendly. Room 9 was spacious and clean with a beautiful view of the lake. The hotel is very centrally located and close to the ferry which is nice if you want to visit the other towns around Lake Como. We really enjoyed our stay there. We had croissants and cuppachino's at the bar every morning and really enjoyed sitting there while all the locals (mostly old and retired) come and go. We really got a feel for the place there. We had dinner at the restaurant at the Lido both nights. Very cosy place with good food and wine. We would definitely recommend it. Enjoy it!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple