“One of my better meals in Lake Como”
Review of Al Prato

Al Prato
Ranked #2 of 33 Restaurants in Varenna
Description: Ristorante posizionato in una piazzetta riservata a due passi dal lungolago di Varenna. Facilmente raggiungibile anche dalla piazza S.Giorgio (piazza principale) . Serviamo piatti tradizionali e fuori carta ci sono delle varianti a secondo della stagione, atmosfera piacevole e servizio curato
Reviewed 18 September 2017

I won't repeat what others have written. The service and food was very good. Reservations are a must during high season. Just a comment- Our hotel made our reservation for us for 7:30pm. We were staying less than a minute from restaurant (we were staying at hotel du lac) At about 7:15 pm we get a call from hotel. They were told that if we don't show by 7:30 pm, the restaurant will scratch our names off.
Not a classy move!

Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

My husband and I came to Al Prato for dinner and it was amazing! The only issue if I had to say anything, would be that the service initially was a bit slow, but picked up halfway into the meal.

We were first given an amuse bouche which was bresaola. It was a great foreshadow into the rest of the meal!

I had the tagliatelle with zucchini and burrata and the flavors made every single bite enjoyable. My husband had the tomato soup as an appetizer with lamb chops as his meal and equally enjoyed it! We finished off with a chocolate soufflé which was cooked perfectly! I will definitely come back in the future! So happy they were able to accommodate us!

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

This boutique restaurant, was not on the water, but a small side street in the central town. Chef Giovanni, the owner personally greeted us and took us to our reserved seats. We started with the grilled octopus, the best I've ever eaten, and then we split the grilled swordfish and the tagliatelle with mushroom sauce. And a nice bottle of Nebbiolo.

This was easily the best meal we had in our 4 days in Varenna.

Reviewed 9 September 2017 via mobile

Our host recommended here as her favourite restaurant in Varenna; and we can see why.
We liked the restaurant because:
Lovely private, peaceful piazza with only foot traffic passing by
Friendly, attentive and knowledgeable staff
Beautiful food
Wine by the glass
Background music that added to the evening
Highly recommended

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

We had a dinner here. We was the first visitors after opening. It was really difficult to read the menu, because starters and the main dishes were mixed. And many dishes were finished. I hope that after this review something will change :)