“May 2014. Comfortable,Modern interior with great food.”
Review of Star Hotel

Star Hotel
and 1 more site!
Star Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Twynholm B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“May 2014. Comfortable,Modern interior with great food.”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Was visiting David Coulthard museum across road from this hotel and decided to pop in for lunch. Pleasantly surprised at nice, modern tasteful interior in lounge bar which put us at ease straight away. We chose fish & chips and vegi burger. My battered fish was cooked to perfection and delicious! However, the hand cut chips are the best I have ever tasted...and I have had more than few chips over the years! Even the peas that came with it actually had a great taste to them.
My partner reported her vegi burger was tasty and fresh, with a crispy side salad. There seemed to be only one member of staff, however the service was excellent. Will definitely return to this wee gem!

Room Tip: didnt stay
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Suzanne T, Owner at Star Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review, and such a positive one! Always great to hear such fantastic feedback.

We have a great team now in Shanna & Simon, and although we normally have 1 person on shift, we have a second on call if they're needed. They're both very skilled at managing both service and food preparation, so we're very lucky to have them working with us.

I'm so glad you had a great visit and we hope you're able to visit again soon.

Thanks again, Suzie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2014

En Route to the Stena Boat Cairnryan on mothers day 30th March booked by internet as we knew what time we would be passing. We got confirmation all was ok and we duly arrived at 12 noon. The staff were very friendly but the food was excellent two roast diners tea and coffee all for just under £20.00. The hotel was very well decorated and spotlessly clean.
The reason I made the visit was on a snowy Saturday the year before we stopped en route to the boat but the restaurant was closed (decorating), The young girl still made us lunch and served us in the bar and it was superb.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Suzanne T, Owner at Star Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review.

It's always great to have feedback and even better when we know that visitors have had such a positive experience.

We look forward to seeing you both again on your next trip!

Chives, Poitou-Charentes, France
Reviewed 21 November 2013

just came back from the star hotel in twynholmn our party of four had a most fantastic meal all three courses were excellent my father demands his soup red hot ,it was boiling hot ,just as he likes it, the service was perfect they could not have done more ,polite but not over bearing what a lovely place I cant over emphasize how nice it was we will go back and can highly recommend it to others ,

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Suzanne T, Owner at Star Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We really do appreciate the feedback.

I'm so glad you had a great evening, we really do try our best to offer an excellent and it's so good when we hear we've got it right! I was so pleased to read your review and I'll pass your feedback onto the rest of the team, who will also be delighted.

Thank you again, and we hope to see you back again soon

Chives, Poitou-Charentes, France
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Fantastic food, lovely service. Best meal out we have had this week whilst staying with family in scotland. Lovely atmosphere very attentive staff and they always made sure that everything was okay. The plates were lovely and warm and the food was just like home made

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Suzanne T, Owner at Star Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review.

We're so glad you had a great evening and it was lovely to meet you all. We're really committed to making sure we offer an excellent service, so it's good to hear when we get it right.

Thank you once again for your lovely comments, I'll pass them on to the rest of the team

Whithorn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We have just had a really good meal at the Star. The home roasted gammon was superb and my wife's Spicy chicken was very nice indeed. Felt sorry for the young lady who was on her own but she was very friendly and it did not affect the service. Would definitely visit again.

Room Tip: we both had the daily specials and they were great
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Suzanne T, Owner at Star Hotel, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review. We really appreciate the feedback.

I'm so glad you had a great experience with us, we do work really hard to try and get things right.

I've passed your feedback onto Shanna, who was working that day, she's a real asset to the Star team and it's great to be able to show her that customers think so too!

Thanks again, and we hope to see you soon. Suzie
New Mills, High Peak.
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Our party of 6 recently booked 3 rooms and stayed for 2 nights at the Star Hotel. We were booked for bed & breakfast but ended up having both our evening meals there. We had a great time. The rooms were clean & spacious and the en-suite bathrooms were nice, with a good sized shower. The breakfast was excellent with good quality local produce. Evening meals were also excellent, with a good choice to suit everyone (anyone needing to eat gluten free, this is the place for you). Owners and staff were very welcoming and friendly, they couldn't do enough for you. Beds were comfy and the hotel is in a quiet location, ensuring a good nights sleep. I would highly recommend the Star Hotel, don't hesitate to book, you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Suzanne T, Owner at Star Hotel, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Thank you so much for your review!!

We're glad you had a great weekend, it's so nice when people let us know when we're getting things right!! I'm really pleased you enjoyed the food too!! We really care about what we do, and I'll pass your feedback onto the rest of the team. Nannie was so pleased that her hours of training me to cook porridge has finally paid off!!

It was great to meet you all and we hope we see you all again soon.

Thanks again!! Suzie
Prestwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Just finished a meal in the star hotel. Failed to see where all the good reviews came from. Ordered the scampi and chips with homemade tartare sauce. Tartare sauce came in a heinz sachet. If you can't make it don't advertise it. Also for my wife I ordered the Sunday roast. Presentation was not its strong point and got worse from there. Meat was tough gravy was bland and mash potatoes at best were luke warm. I would like to say I complained about this but didn't have the chance as the barmaid/waitress/chef was a tad busy frantically trying to do three jobs at the same time (poor lass). The only noise I could hear from the kitchen was ever ringer sound of the microwave dinging. We waited so long to ask for the bill that we ended up leaving money on the table. Service and quality of food was very poor. This in no reflection on the poor girl doing three jobs. Management should be hauled over the coals for this outrageous set up. For anyone reading this i am very well educated in this industry having held positions as a commis chef, head waiter ( silver service ) and wine sommelier. In pubs such as this one I don't expect top notch service, but I do expect some kind of service with food to match. I have had to rate this pub as a one But don't believe it deserves it.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lumajpm
Suzanne T, Owner at Star Hotel, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I really do appreciate it.

I can only sincerely apologise for the poor service and food quality you received during your visit. I am taking steps to find out what went wrong and I assure you that this is not what I expect customers to experience.

There should have been two members of staff on duty and I will find out why this was not the case.

I will also speak to the member of staff that was there and find out what went wrong with your meal, I have to say she normally gets excellent feedback so I'm surprised on this occasion.

The only part of the Sunday lunch that should be reheated are the mashed potatoes, everything else is done on the hob or oven, again I will speak to the staff on duty.

I apologise again and I hope you are able to visit us again, so that you see that this was not up to our usual standard.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Twynholm
The Selkirk Arms Hotel
#3 of 3 in Gatehouse of Fleet
The Ship Inn
The Ship Inn
#1 of 3 in Gatehouse of Fleet

Been to Star Hotel? Share your experiences!