Grand Hotel Dino
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$110
Orbitz.com
Hotels.com
Hotels.com
1,432 results
All reviewslake maggioreinsight tourbig hoteloutdoor pooltrafalgar tourtour groupstained glassstunning locationconference hotelclassy hotelisola bellamini bardining roomhotel groundsold stylepublic areaswonderful hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 May 2012

This is probably the most beautiful hotel I've stayed in. The hotel was part of the Insight Tour. I upgraded the room to the lake view. The lights across the lake at night were spectacular. The lobby is gorgeous. We enjoyed the patio, the artwork, the jewelry in the window cases, the lovely nighttime drinks on the porch. Really nice!! Comfortable rooms.

Room Tip: Pick the lake front. It's worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 May 2012

I was very fortunate to stay in Grand Hotel Dino on a business trip to Lago Maggiore. This is a huge hotel, set on the lake front, with stunning views across the lake, and to the Borromean islands. During my visit in May, we had temperatures in the mid 20s, blue skies, and a backdrop of snow covered peaks.

So back to Dino. Service and facilities were impeccable, and the rooms large. Lakeside rooms have spacious balconies from which to enjoy the views. During our stay the hotel was dominated by several business conferences, and tourists on coach tours. It is probably these two groups to which the hotel will most appeal. (On my first night when I walked into the dining room, I felt very young, yet I have passed my half century mark!).

As with many "grand" hotels, the emphasis is on efficiency rather than atmosphere. The wireless broadband and business services are impeccable, but the hotel fails to catch the charm of the region. I would therefore recommend the Dino as a Bed & Breakfast hotel, and breakfast on the tearrace by the lake is certainly pleasant. But despite the fine cuisine, I would shun its cold, featureless dining rooms in the evening in favour of some of the quaint and welcoming restaurants in the area, particularly those on the nearby islands accessible by water taxi from just outside the hotel.

Room Tip: Go for lakeside, or you miss the whole point of Dino.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Rick E
Reviewed 1 May 2012

This is a large hotel with all the usual trimmings - thick carpets, uniformed staff, enormous lobby, underground parking etc. It is right on the lake-side with a beautiful view of Isola Madre and the other islands, close the pier and promenade. It has so many rooms and different restaurants plus a big lounge bar that I counted twelve busses of about 50 tourists each, parked here overnight, and the place didn't even seem to be full!

I stayed in a standard room, facing the mountains (which made it considerably cheaper) and with a nice little balcony. Breakfast was luxurious and offered the great view of the lake. The staff was plentiful and helpful, hot breakfast was served by a chef at the buffet.

One detail shows the remarkable dedication to detail on behalf of the household staff: The tap in my bathroom was dripping and the sliding panel in front of the shower had lost the plastic at the bottom that would have prevented water from running all over the bathroom floor. Before I even remembered to mention this at the front desk, both things had been repaired the next day and thereafter worked flawlessly.

My overall ratring of this hotel is not excellent for one reason only: At a four star establishment I find it unreasonable, having to pay 5 EUR for one hour of access to the Internet.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChrLicht
Reviewed 23 April 2012

impressive hotel with very friendly staff, very clean and luxurious rooms, impressive views at the lake, inside and outside pool and nice garden by the lake

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 March 2012

This place was just amazing, goregous inside, like something from a 50's glamour hollywood movie set & the outside was even better. The decks of the lounge & bar over look an unobstructed view of Lago Maggiore, with the mountains in the distance, just out of this world.

The rooms were very decadent & i loved the fact our balcony overlooked the mountains, very awe inspiring in the morning.

We got free nibbles with our drinks at the bar, which is always a plus & the breakfast buffet was vast & very good indeed. My only complaint was the last minute taxes we had to pay per person when leaving, they weren't vast but we weren't informed about them when booking or arriving, which was a tad annoying.

Fab location though, highly recommended

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple