“Don't go!!!!”
Review of Regina Palace

Regina Palace
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Stresa
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel and were put in a suite overlooking a building site. Workmen started at 7.30 and made as much noise as possible. The rooms were dirty and the wooden floors were lethal and very slippery. The place was not fit for purpose and should have been closed until work had been completed. I could write a huge amount here, but I can be bothered to give them the time. However, a good example of them being out of touch with current service in the hotel industry is that when we called down for some ice in our room we were charged 6 euros!!! For ice? Pathetic. Their arrogance and uncaring attitude to customers was astonishing in this day and age. The woman in charge was quite aggressive when I pointed out their faults. For over 400 Euros per night I was not prepared to back down. Outrageous . Stresa is a fantastic place and we moved to La Palma Hotel which was absolutely fantastic. Don't waste your money - go somewhere else; anywhere would be better.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Tim G
Write a ReviewReviews (1,442)

Reviewed 19 April 2014

I suppose Italian labor law prevents the hotel from firing grouchy employees, but for the price visitors deserve better. Perhaps the elderly woman who staffs the office near the rear of the property has retired by now. During our visit she averted our eyes when we had a question and didn't recognize our existence. Meals are a treat, both for the food, formal service, and people-watching, especially the ladies from the UK who must be on their annual trek. Location is close to Stresa and the ferry ride around the lake, which makes this part of Italy our favorite.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cambriariter
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I was at this hotel on a business trip. Nothing much to comment about the welcome at the hotel, the rooms, the attitude of people at the hotel reception....sigh!

I was arriving at the hotel early morning so had reserved a room from the previous night. I was checked into the smallest room at the hotel. It is understandable that some people don't mind the size of the room but I prefer something a little more comfortable. Hence, I requested for a change in room before I had used the room. Reception asked me to vacate the current room immediately and wait 5 hours before the next room was available. Once again, I understand that there are other guests in rooms who were probably going to check out that afternoon but surely they could have found another room for me sooner.....furthermore they wanted me out of the current room immediately even though I had paid for it and could keep it until check-out time that day. When I told them I will freshen up and then vacate the room, they told me I could freshen up in the toilet in the lobby. Of course, I refused firmly and they allowed me to use the room to freshen up keep the room till they found another one for me.

That was just the beginning of a rather unpleasant stay. The air conditioning throughout the hotel was not working up to standard and I was sweating throughout the conference and lunches and dinners!!

All-in-all, quite an unpleasant stay.

Room Tip: Unless the hotel air conditioning has been fixed after June 2013, may I suggest you pick this hotel...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Mithun B
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Regina palace for four nights on our honeymoon. We had a lake view room- which of course had a fantastic view! The room was very nice, however the walls are thin and we could hear a lot from neighbouring rooms and cleaners. The hotel staff were lovely, particularly the lady on reception who helped us hire a car, and the lovely men serving in the restaurant. Unfortunately I wouldn't rate the restaurant food, however there's plenty of other places to choose from nearby. The hotel is in a great location, close to everything in town. I would recommend hiring a car (if you don't have one) to see the other towns nearby. All in all a relaxing stay :)

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We had mixed feelings about the hotel. The intricately ornate early 20th-century architectural detail is impressive and conspicuous, and the location and views are hard to beat. But the renovations and add-ons required to keep the hotel functional feel dated and musty. All historical hotels must walk a fine line between preservation and unobtrusive renovation, and I this one needs work on the latter. Same story in the hotel restaurant, which clearly lives on past glory. The food and the service were oddly reminiscent of entry-level restaurants from the 70's. On the other hand, reservation and bell staff was top.

The hotel also seems to attract an overwhelmingly older clientele. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, but it wasn't what we were aiming for on our honeymoon trip.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Carpatifara
Reviewed 31 December 2013

The Regina Palace refers to itself as a "four star" hotel but is a bit inconsistent in deserving that ranking. Staff members were both helpful (in the dining room) or unhelpful (in dealing with their "wifi"). The rooms were small (expected) where they pushed two hard/uncomfortable twin beds together to make a full size for a couple. Hotels in most of Italy turn off air-conditioning in October and the rooms can get very stuff/warm. Opening the windows can cool them down, but invite in bugs...leaving you with a choice between mosquitos or a hot room. The bathroom glass shower doors leaked massively during any attempt at a shower and required multiple towels to soak up the water on the floor. The wifi was outrageously expensive and terribly inconsistent for the price...when you asked about the service, you got an different explanation each and every time and the only thing that really worked was rebooting the router. It's a pretty hotel and the location is convenient, but in a 20 day trip through Italy, we ranked this hotel at the bottom.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the hotel look up into the hills; rooms at the front look at the lake. Remembe...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank William S
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We travelled with Riviera Travel and, as we were a coach party, we had a separate dining room off the main one. Although the breakfast buffet was great with everything you could possibly want, our dinner menu was a reduced choice. We travelled as a party of 4 and we like to have a table of our own but we had to sit with different people every evening on large tables for 12. The bedrooms were clean and comfortable.We were there in September and the outdoor pool was dirty as they seem to think the season has finished even though it was still warm. The indoor pool was great, although the decor was rather dark.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends