“excellent service and good price”

Trattoria Leoncino Rosso
Ranked #28 of 437 Restaurants in Mantua
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 24 August 2012

39 EUR for :
2 salads "leoncino"
1 vegetable side dish (verdure cotte saltate)
1 spezzatino meat dish
1 bottle of mineral water
1/4 liter of good local white wine
1 dessert "sbrisolona"
all charges included

you might say not a hearty lunch but everywhere else in the same central area prices were higher and environment definitely less attractive

the waiter and service was very nice and full of suggestions without being pushy

There are newer reviews for Trattoria Leoncino Rosso

Reviewed 26 July 2012

I enjoyed my dinner at Leoncino Rosso. I was looking at all the outdoor seating restaurants in the busy piazzas, but nothing appealed to me, as a woman dining alone, but this very cute rustic restaurant off Piazza Brotetto, in the city center, was perfect. Prices were very reasonable for 1st and 2ed courses and were between 8-12eu. I wanted typical Mantua cuisine and settled on the ravioli stuffed with pumpkin; it was excellent. Their stewed donkey, interested me, but I didn’t have room for it! With the ravioli, I enjoyed their house Lombroso wine and finished with typical Mantua desert cake with cream. Service was very friendly, prompt and pleasant. I would definitely return!

Reviewed 13 November 2011

Loved the local sausage risotto and the cake with zabaglione for dessert.

Reviewed 4 September 2011

This is a traditional trattoria in a lovely position. It is such a shame that the food is so bad. The only good thing was the sliced salumi so at least they can slice meats. I assume the cheese us ok for the same reason. However, my wife's risotto was overcooked and dry and wasn't even proper risotto rice! My veal was actually beef and was reheated (partially) so was cold and dry - I ate just one mouthful which is rare for me as I usually eat anything. I was offered salad or vegetables as a replacement but my appetite had been ruined. We were then totally ignored, not offered a reduction and treated with disdain by the staff. And to top it all, the wine we were given was from Ploiesti in Romania! - I know the wine list didn't give origin but you expect it to be from Italy! - it was barely drinkable.

Reviewed 24 July 2011

This is a traditional trattoria - choose local foods - pasta & hams and you will find it delightful. However, for people who wish fresh salads or a vegetarian variety it is not ideal.