“Great Hotel with perfect metro location for commuting into City sights!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Milan City

Crowne Plaza Hotel Milan City
Ranked #57 of 430 Hotels in Milan
Shaker Heights, Ohio
“Great Hotel with perfect metro location for commuting into City sights!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2011

My wife and I just returned from our 2 week vacation in Italy, and had a great experience during our stay at the Crowne Plaza Milan City hotel. With polite staff, warm hospitality, and very clean, spacious and comfortable rooms this was the perfect hotel for our Milan stop. The hotel has the best location for getting into the city as its located straight above the Sondrio Metro stop on the Yellow line ... a brief 10 mins ride into the Doumo Piazza, and a 5 min walk to Centrale Station - perfect for getting in and out of the city. We bought the 24 hour metro tickets and used it to get in and out of the city for touring all the sights, as well as head easily to Brera for dinners. Perfect!

When we checked in to the hotel, we where upgraded to a junior suite on the top floor, giving us even more space and a private front patio terrace over looking the city. We were extremely satisfied with the room, with bright modern decor, comfortable king bed and large double vanity bathroom, this was the perfect space to relax after fantastically hectic tours of the city. The hotel also has a wonderful bar and lounge patio for having a relaxing drink before diner.

I highly rate this hotel on all levels and would recommend to anyone traveling either for personal or business needs. We couldn't have asked for any better quality of service and accommodation we received - without breaking your budget.

Room Tip: If possible, request the top floor junior suite with private terrace. It's impressive!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dante_the_Florentine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

There is nothing particularly wrong with this hotel. We were left with the overall impression that this is a hotel by numbers - it offers a good standard of service and accommodation - as befits its 4 star rating - but offered nothing exceptional or remarkable to speak of.

The hotel is right next to Sondrio Metro station (would recommend using this if you are arriving at the Central Station as although the hotel looks as if it is within walking distance, the roads are wide and big and daunting to cross). You can therefore get into central Milan very easily.

We were kept waiting at Reception to check in (which is fine as the hotel can't know exactly how many people will want attention at any one time - but there was no apology for this).

The room was small and lacking character. I think the hotel may be better suited to business travellers, since there was an unnecessary armchair taking up valuable space (for use at the desk) and although it was a double room, its size made it seem like it was better suited for one. All in all, this hotel is fine for a one night stopover, but wouldn't make a particularly special holiday venue.

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MartsAndMarts
Bangkok, Thailand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

I was served by 2 receptionist at the front office. Daniel and Andrea. I believe one of them is a new staff and the other is someone whom is more experienced.

I do understand that the new staff might not know everything but I can't tolerate the attitude of the more experience staff (Andrea). His service is undesirable as if I owe him a living.

I do understand that I'm booking the hotel with IHG friends and family rate and this rate do not include breakfast. However when I was there last year, I was given breakfast during my stay. 12 euro for breakfast is extremely affordable for me. I do not mind paying for the breakfast if you would just speak nicely to me.

What I couldn't accept is the attitude of Andrea talking to me by not looking at me at all and simply just INSIST that the breakfast is not included and trying to buzz me off away from the reception. When I kindly ask him to check my previous record with the stay I had with Crowne Plaza, he refuses to do so and keep insisting that no breakfast is included.

And when I kindly ask him may I speak to someone else he just told me that he is the only person I can speak to. I'm a hotelier myself working in Switzerland, I am flabbergasted by such disgusting service that I had from Crowne. This is extremely unacceptable for a 4 star hotel that came from a Big Company, IHG.

Since I had no choice, I decided to return to my room as it was a long night travelling from elsewhere. I booked 2 king bedrooms and was given 2 double bed rooms without any explanation. As I was too tired to make a complain about the rooms, I decided not to call the reception and ask for an explanation. However, when I was checking out, I had to pay additional for the double bed rooms which I don't understand why.

Crowne has been always known for their good service and facilities as a business hotel. This is not my first time staying in Crowne Plaza Milan City and I had always been treated with good services and attitude from your staff. However, just this one incident had totally ruin the reputation of Crowne Plaza and to make it worst, I am travelling with my family whom never had been to Crowne Plaza hotels.

They were extremely sadden by such services and they told me not to ever stay with Crowne Plaza for its bad services and undesirable attitude from your staff.

Please handle ALL your guests with respect and a positive attitude. Doesn't mean that I'm not dress in a business suit means I'm supposed to be treated with another set of service and attitude that is worst than a One star hotel.

I hope Crowne can continue to be the best business hotel I've ever stayed in. Sadly, Crowne isn't anymore.

I would like to take this opportunity to compliment Franco and Sarah for setting the best attitude and services that I ever received when I was checking out. I do hope that Crowne will take this incident seriously and at the same time hire more people like Franco and Sarah and avoid hiring people like Andrea.

Room Tip: check with reception what is the actual amount you had to pay before checking in.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Jefter
IHGCare, ihg care at Crowne Plaza Hotel Milan City, responded to this review, 22 August 2011
Dear Jefter,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I do apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced with our Front Desk staff. I will follow up with the staff manager to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again. Again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to serve you in the future. IHGCare ^bj
Amsterdam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2011

We stayed at the Crown PLaza in mid August, which, unbeknownst to us is the worst time to go as Milan is empty then. Nevertheless, we stayed at the Crown Plaza due to good reviews on this site. We ordered the junior suite as we have a 2 year old that we like to place in a seperate area (so we can still watch tv). The room was nice enough but hardly a junior suite....not much bigger than a standard room. The bathroom was nice however and had decent products. The staff at the front desk was helpful but sent us to a very touristy restaurant (hardly what we like to do). To our great annoyance, the lunch restaurant offered only bar food during the entire month of August. Hardly service. In terms of the neighborhood, you don't come here for that as it's pretty boring and not walking distance from the centre, but the subway is right next door so you can still get places fast. All in all not bad, but also nothing to rave about.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Namur, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

My second stay in this modern hotel in one year and always satisfied. Reservation made for 1 night via booking.com for 150eur/night breakfast included (hot and cold) for 2 people and with cancelation insurance.
The location of this hotel just in front of the metro station SONDRIO (yellow line M3) makes your move very convenient and fast. Coming by plane from the airport Linate of Malpensa or by train makes you arrive in Milan Central Station and from by metro via M3 yellow line, you've just to ride one station to come at the hotel.
Be carreful if you travel with heavy luggage because there are a lot of stairs in the metro and in the station and NOT always escalators....
A taxi run from the station to the hotel costs about 5eur!!
Things to do in Milano : visit of the Scala theater, shopping int he center and in the megastore Rinascente (in front of the cathedral DUOMO), an amazing store of brands marks and don't miss the roof with 3 restaurants (snack, mozzarella bar and sushi bar )
In summer, try to eat ouside on the terrace facing the Duomo and don't miss the mozzarella bar Obika when you will taste differents kinds of this famous cheese!!
To make a short conclusion : a very good hotel, a comfortable room with flat screen and a nice and warm welcome by the staf

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank oliveerpent
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights at the end of July and chose the hotel based on location close to the central station. I got the coach to and from Milan Malpensa airport but due to the amount of luggage also needed a taxi (about 5 EUR each way).
I arrived at about 8:00 am and was pleased to find my room already ready and there was no extra charge. So I was able to sleep after my night flight. I had a reasonably priced salad and soup for lunch at the hote before going out to explore. I went by metro all the time while staying here as the hotel is on top the metro station. The hotel was surprisingly quiet and there was only open for breakfasts - lunch and dinner were served in the bar if required.
The room was supposedly a double one but not much bigger than the bed. The bathroom was shower only (no bath as it would not have been room to fit a bath in - seemed to be normal for Italy). Flat-screen TV directly in front the bed. Coffee facilities (tea bags or Nescafe sachet). Minibar with the usual over-priced fare. I tried room service and it took the estimated amount of time (20 minutes) was accurate to what I ordered, good quality and quantity.
What I liked: early check-in; convenient for public transport to the city centre for sightseeing, the hotel made visible efforts to ensure guest safety/security; the room was very clean and comfortable - and fairly quiet (I had a room on a "high" floor but the street was not far below); nice breakfast buffet; friendly, helpful staff at reception.
What I didn't like: a bit further from the centre of the city than I had realised (but made up for by good public transport); small closed-in feel of the room and dark corridors.

Room Tip: Request a high floor as it's a busy traffic area
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

If you make a reservation for this hotel through the hotel chain web site you will find the usual reservation pages and procedures, but with a trick. When you book a room for two persons the rate for each type of room appears with the usual format and with large numbers. However, hidden in a corner with tiny characters is an extra charge of 30 Euros per day for the second person in the room. I was hit by this unusual charge and could not do anything because it was on my reservation, just hidden in a way totally unexpected for a hotel belonging to a well known international chain.

As to the hotel, it is very elegant and modern, but it is strictly for the business traveler. A couple of tourists who stay a few days in Milan and want to unpack have no place to put anything. The tiny closet has just a couple of shelves. The bathroom has no shelves. The only drawers are a tiny one on the desk and a shallow one in the closet at floor level. The room safe is also at floor level, so that one has to lie down on the floor to read the instructions. Two large and comfortable rolling chairs leave little space to move around the small room.

This discomfort was helpful because we moved to another hotel after one night and we were hit by the 30 Euro charge for one night only.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple